TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #181
jjd_87

Any more news on this? I'm about to move into a new place and would love to have one for my bedroom tv.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #182
Dan203
Super Moderator

Suppose to be released this "fall". That could mean any time between now and Christmas. And that's just an estimate so they could push it further if it's not ready. (TiVo has been known to miss target dates in the past)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #183
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Suppose to be released this "fall". That could mean any time between now and Christmas. And that's just an estimate so they could push it further if it's not ready. (TiVo has been known to miss target dates in the past)

Dan
It's probably very much like the Stream. The hardware is ready for release. The quality of the software is the big unknown when they decide to launch. I expect we will see it well before Black Friday.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #184
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
It's probably very much like the Stream. The hardware is ready for release. The quality of the software is the big unknown when they decide to launch. I expect we will see it well before Black Friday.
I agree with that. I think we will see a update with the software here which is the reason we havent seen it yet
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #185
innocentfreak

It might also be an issue where it needs the next update for it to work as advertised so they might be waiting for the software update to rollout.

It would make some sense since we know the next update adds the HD screen for remote My Shows which the Stream would use primarily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #186
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
It might also be an issue where it needs the next update for it to work as advertised so they might be waiting for the software update to rollout.

It would make some sense since we know the next update adds the HD screen for remote My Shows which the Stream would use primarily.
I am just praying for a Unified playlist between the boxes
Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #187
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
My magic 8 ball says no.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon if ever. While there are potential issues like how you handle duplicates, I also get the impression it would take some major changes to how TiVo works.

As far as duplicates there are multiple ways that could be addressed such as assigning a number or letter to each TiVo and having that alphanumeric character show up in the status circle. The issue is it needs to be clear and consistent. Of course some of this could also be handled by user profiles.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it also, but I don't think this was ever planned so it seems like it would be tough to implement after the fact.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #188
compnurd

Quote:
My magic 8 ball says no.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon if ever. While there are potential issues like how you handle duplicates, I also get the impression it would take some major changes to how TiVo works.

As far as duplicates there are multiple ways that could be addressed such as assigning a number or letter to each TiVo and having that alphanumeric character show up in the status circle. The issue is it needs to be clear and consistent. Of course some of this could also be handled by user profiles.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it also, but I don't think this was ever planned so it seems like it would be tough to implement after the fact.
I would not think it would be that hard... Direct TV has had it for almost 4 years now on there ****ty software. Duplicates were just listed twice. Would just be so much easier... even more so with the mini, to just hit my shows and see your shows folders across all DVR's.. Instead of having to go into each box to find a show I have tweeted Margret several times about it with no response. Normally she responds with a she will pass it along so i am hoping the silence means it may be coming
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #189
innocentfreak

Quote:
I would not think it would be that hard... Direct TV has had it for almost 4 years now on there ****ty software. Duplicates were just listed twice. Would just be so much easier... even more so with the mini, to just hit my shows and see your shows folders across all DVR's.. Instead of having to go into each box to find a show I have tweeted Margret several times about it with no response. Normally she responds with a she will pass it along so i am hoping the silence means it may be coming
DirecTV may have planned it in advance so it was slowly built into the product. Also DirecTV had streaming a lot earlier long before they had anything with more than two tuners. As a result it was a goal for them to incorporate it this way. Also for all we know it was a ReplayTV patent and as a result TiVo would have to find a way around it or license it.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #190
jrtroo
User

Easy to say, hard to do.

I think we should not expect an integrated list as Tivo seems to be moving towards a primary unit with more tuners and interconnected clients. That reduces the need for that kind of complex programming, becoming throw-away code.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #191
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Easy to say, hard to do.

I think we should not expect an integrated list as Tivo seems to be moving towards a primary unit with more tuners and interconnected clients. That reduces the need for that kind of complex programming, becoming throw-away code.
True... But unless the software changes that would still suck. That would mean if you have a Mini, and you open My Shows it will only show you the name of the DVR, which you then have to open to stream a show. That or the Mini has different software and your shows populate on the mini.. Which would still mean a unified playlist could work
Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #192
innocentfreak

Quote:
True... But unless the software changes that would still suck. That would mean if you have a Mini, and you open My Shows it will only show you the name of the DVR, which you then have to open to stream a show. That or the Mini has different software and your shows populate on the mini.. Which would still mean a unified playlist could work
This might be why they require a XL4/Elite to be paired right now. As a result you by default see the My Shows from the XL4/Elite and live TV. Then you browse down to the other TiVos.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #193
compnurd

Quote:
This might be why they require a XL4/Elite to be paired right now. As a result you by default see the My Shows from the XL4/Elite and live TV. Then you browse down to the other TiVos.
good call
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #194
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
2. Making it harder to intercept the content.
SSL has been available a Real Long Time Now. What's the point of MOCA?

I find this paranoia about content copying abysmally stupid. I can already copy everything that's on the disk. Even if that wasn't already encrypted, what sort of pinhead thinks you have to transfer video in cleartext over the wire?

The same goes for, say, the no-copy flag. Why the heck do you care which TiVo has the copy, so long as it's the only copy? The original TiVo that recorded it is in no way special, so why prevent transfers of no-copy flagged shows? It massively screws up provisioning new TiVos, and along with the bizarre refusal of TiVo to write software that autoconfigures a new TiVo from an old one makes the decision to upgrade (and send TiVo much needed revenue) much harder.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #195
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
SSL has been available a Real Long Time Now. What's the point of MOCA?

I find this paranoia about content copying abysmally stupid. I can already copy everything that's on the disk. Even if that wasn't already encrypted, what sort of pinhead thinks you have to transfer video in cleartext over the wire?

The same goes for, say, the no-copy flag. Why the heck do you care which TiVo has the copy, so long as it's the only copy? The original TiVo that recorded it is in no way special, so why prevent transfers of no-copy flagged shows? It massively screws up provisioning new TiVos, and along with the bizarre refusal of TiVo to write software that autoconfigures a new TiVo from an old one makes the decision to upgrade (and send TiVo much needed revenue) much harder.
I think this copy stuff is about letting TiVo use cable cards (and not getting the MSO angry ), I don't think TiVo would care about coping if the decision was only up to TiVo.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #196
Xab

Quote:
What do you mean by a unified playlist? As in, see the same shows on both boxes? I don't see why it would work any other way.
Xab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #197
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I think this copy stuff is about letting TiVo use cable cards (and not getting the MSO angry ), I don't think TiVo would care about coping if the decision was only up to TiVo.
Yeah, but the cablecos aren't rational about it. You can stream a no-copy show, but not do a copy to B/delete from A for it. They worry about wire interception when sending video over the wire exposes nothing that isn't exposed in a fraction of the effort by pulling the drive. I could go on.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #198
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xab View Post
What do you mean by a unified playlist? As in, see the same shows on both boxes? I don't see why it would work any other way.
The whole things sounds very simple to me. The only recording would be done on the xl4 or whatever they call it today, the minis would be able to view live Tv or recordings streamed from the main box. The mini would be able to schedule recordings on the main box and view the main play list. Seems one playlist would be a given. But IMO the main box should have six tuners.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #199
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Easy to say, hard to do.

ReplayTV did it 10 years ago, but Tivo is incapable of simply making a complete HDUI that performs as expected. Therefore I agree - for Tivo, this would be hard to do.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #200
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xab View Post
Basically the way it should work(like it does with Direct TV) When you open my shows instead of just seeing the recordings on that box, plus seeing the other DVR which you then have to select to browse the shows, it would automatically show all shows from all DVR's it sees on the first screen. If there are duplicates, it justs groups them together in a folder and shows both shows. it is useful for people like me who have season passes spread over multiple Tivo's
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #201
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Basically the way it should work(like it does with Direct TV) When you open my shows instead of just seeing the recordings on that box, plus seeing the other DVR which you then have to select to browse the shows, it would automatically show all shows from all DVR's it sees on the first screen. If there are duplicates, it justs groups them together in a folder and shows both shows. it is useful for people like me who have season passes spread over multiple Tivo's
Does that actually work well? Currently looking on one Elite, the number of shows in the list is pretty big. If I add my other Elite to the list plus my two tuner Premiere, the list of my shows would be gigantic.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #202
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Does that actually work well? Currently looking on one Elite, the number of shows in the list is pretty big. If I add my other Elite to the list plus my two tuner Premiere, the list of my shows would be gigantic.
It worked Great actually. I dont know if the software constantly polled the other boxes but pressing List on the remote would bring everything up seamless. While there software overall was slow as ****, this really did act like everything was on the one unit, not spread over several DVR's
Old 09-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #203
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
ReplayTV did it 10 years ago, but Tivo is incapable of simply making a complete HDUI that performs as expected. Therefore I agree - for Tivo, this would be hard to do.
Again this is probably patented by ReplayTV which is why DirecTV is now able to do it.

Does any other company offer this? I can't think of one.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #204
compnurd

There is no way that patent is still valid
Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #205
innocentfreak

Quote:
There is no way that patent is still valid
Why? The TiVo patents are still valid from the same time frame.

Again I don't know of another company that has even tried to do it so assuming there is even a patent it probably hasn't been challenged.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #206
MichaelK

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, but the cablecos aren't rational about it. You can stream a no-copy show, but not do a copy to B/delete from A for it. They worry about wire interception when sending video over the wire exposes nothing that isn't exposed in a fraction of the effort by pulling the drive. I could go on.
This is yet another shortcoming of tivo's programmers (well really the management that tells the programmers what to do)

the cable rules explicitly ALLOW tivo (or anyone) to MOVE the file from one place to another. The software just has to make the original unusable before it allows the copy to be usable. It's been that way since the day the S3 came out. Tivo just choose to put it's head in the sand and ignore implementing that feature since they see streaming as the be all end all of the copy protection issue.

PS- not to agree with the stupid copy protection nonsense at all- just point out some of the grief from the stupid rules is because of choices tivo made.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #207
MichaelK

Quote:
Again this is probably patented by ReplayTV which is why DirecTV is now able to do it.

Does any other company offer this? I can't think of one.

does anyone know if tivo and replays' cross licensing agreement (wasn't there one that ended their lawsuits against each other?)- covered ALL patents or just some?

if it was all then TiVo cold do it too.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #208
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Why? The TiVo patents are still valid from the same time frame.
Are they? That seems like a long time too... the big two being "thumbs up/down" and "automatic recording of suggestions". They have been doing this since the start, and aren't patents just 7 years?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #209
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
does anyone know if tivo and replays' cross licensing agreement (wasn't there one that ended their lawsuits against each other?)- covered ALL patents or just some?

if it was all then TiVo cold do it too.
No, there was never a cross licensing agreement. The companies just mutually agreed to drop their suits.

There's also no reason to think that ReplayTV had a patent on a consolidated Now Playing list. They have only three patents that show up on a search and none of them have anything to do with that.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #210
innocentfreak

Quote:
TiVo updated their Suggestion survey so it might be worth it to fill out the form again assuming you have before.

http://research.tivo.com/suggestions/