TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #1531
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Well we based all this hype on info provided by one person. Apparently (s)he was wrong or TiVo changed their plans.
I have multiple data points that indicate TiVo shifted the announcement/launch around. But pretty sure it's still coming this week. Who knows, maybe it was something as silly as the web store not being ready or something like lining up the announcement with a Walt Mossberg or NYTimes column and publication time - it's how these things work.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #1532
Dan203
Super Moderator

Tomorrow is another day. I'm not that anxious to get my hands on one right now, so it's not a big deal to me. I just like to see new technology.

I can't really utilize a Mini until my cable company starts broadcasting everything in digital. With there still being a handful of Analog channels I have to keep a full blown 2 tuner Premiere around anyway.

I'm hoping that my cable company get's off their ass and starts at least simulcasting by the time the 6 tuner unit hits. Then I can get one of those and a couple of Minis and consolidate a whole lot of stuff.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #1533
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I have multiple data points that indicate TiVo shifted the announcement/launch around. But pretty sure it's still coming this week. Who knows, maybe it was something as silly as the web store not being ready or something like lining up the announcement with a Walt Mossberg or NYTimes column and publication time - it's how these things work.
You mean we shouldn't all be running around screaming about the end of civilization as we know it? Things happen that could delay the launch by a day or two? Wow, nobody seems to have thought of that! Thanks!
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #1534
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Actually, TiVo has a history of midnight embargos... And, for comparison, the Roku 3 was announced at 9PM EST yesterday.
Clever thing is it has a headphone jack in the remote. I've been wanting something like that for ages. Mainly to allow listening to the news in the morning before my wife wakes up, or in the middle of the night if I can't sleep.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #1535
DigitalDawn

As I said in the other thread, TiVo told us March 6 in the dealer meeting. I guess they decided to postpone it at the last minute.

I see that they have more dealer trainings set up, so maybe they just want to give it a bit more time. Should be this month though.

I got all the other stuff right..... :-)
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #1536
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
As I said in the other thread, TiVo told us March 6 in the dealer meeting. I guess they decided to postpone it at the last minute.

I see that they have more dealer trainings set up, so maybe they just want to give it a bit more time. Should be this month though.

As someone else mentioned, probably want to avoid the Roku 3 discussion that is now happening.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #1537
SactoEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Yes, you did - I know I appreciated it!!

Dates slip. It happens.
SactoEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #1538
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

My rep had no info to tell today. :-(
Chat with TiVo CS today:
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #1539
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
My rep had no info to tell today. :-(
Chat with TiVo CS today:
What's funny is that you think a CS rep is going to give you factually accurate information about a product launch. They are literally the most in-the-dark people at pretty much any company.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #1540
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
What's funny is that you think a CS rep is going to give you factually accurate information about a product launch. They are literally the most in-the-dark people at pretty much any company.
No, I didn't think the CS was going to give me any info. I was just curious what a CS would say.

But I was disappointed my TiVo rep had no info!
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #1541
jfh3

It was initially going to be release in August of last year. It's 7 months later - you would think it works by now, especially since SuddenLink has released it.

The only reason I would find the delay reasonable is if the put the dynamic tuner support in before the launch and allow the use of a Premiere as a host.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #1542
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
It was initially going to be release in August of last year. It's 7 months later - you would think it works by now, especially since SuddenLink has released it.

The only reason I would find the delay reasonable is if the put the dynamic tuner support in before the launch and allow the use of a Premiere as a host.
But wouldn't they have to push out a software update to enable dynamic tuner allocation? We just received a major update at the end of last year, so I doubt there's another major update coming soon.

One of the speculated reasons for limiting the Mini to four-tuner boxes is that a two-tuner box would transform into a one-tuner box. But I was just thinking today that perhaps the limitation concerns the analog and OTA tuners in two-tuner Premieres. Is it possible there's some technical limitation that prevents Mini functionality on those tuners that were removed in the XL4/Elite?
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #1543
Dan203
Super Moderator

According to the guys/gals that went to the training meeting dynamic tuner allocation isn't coming until Q2. So it's unlikely it'll be available at launch.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #1544
dhoward

If this is not released soon it will be the 2nd quarter...
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #1545
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
If this is not released soon it will be the 2nd quarter...
Yeah, it's weird. I keep going through the possibilities in my mind what the delay could be. Are the waiting on the TiVo Desktop/TiVoToGo fix so they can properly/accurately market "whole home" including PCs when this launches? Production problems? Rethinking the pricing? Lining up with a Walt Mossberg review? Weird.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #1546
button1066

Quote:
Yeah, it's weird. I keep going through the possibilities in my mind what the delay could be. Are the waiting on the TiVo Desktop/TiVoToGo fix so they can properly/accurately market "whole home" including PCs when this launches? Production problems? Rethinking the pricing? Lining up with a Walt Mossberg review? Weird.
If 'dynamic tuner allocation' is a big deal and it won't be finished for a few weeks or couple of months (Q2) then wouldn't that be the obvious reason they are delaying the Mini release?

Separate issue...I only have two tuner Premieres so it's a wash to me but I can't help but wonder how they are going to deal with all the other two tuner Premiere owners picking Mini's up at Best Buy and not understanding why they don't work. That seems the biggest headache for them and maybe (my wishful thinking) they are trying to find a way to make the Mini universally compatible with all Premieres. Note: I think that it is not a great situation when a company releases things that aren't even compatible with their own products.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #1547
Riverdome

Maybe I'm showing my lack of Tivo "under the hood" knowledge but what's the difference between the 2 and 4 Tivo premieres? I understand not making things compatible with older S3 models but I was under the impression that the 2 and 4 tuner premiers were the same architecture but there must be more than just 2 more tuners under there.
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #1548
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
If 'dynamic tuner allocation' is a big deal and it won't be finished for a few weeks or couple of months (Q2) then wouldn't that be the obvious reason they are delaying the Mini release?
Here is my list in order of most likely to least likely:
  1. Roku 3 was just announced; waiting for the discussion to die down
  2. The Suddenlink rollout of the Mini has resulted in some interesting lessons (support, education, pricing, etc) that Tivo wants to incorporate for a better retail user experience.
  3. The Tivo Desktop software is almost complete.
  4. Android Stream compatibility is almost complete.
  5. Dynamic tuner issue is almost complete.

mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #1549
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
Maybe I'm showing my lack of Tivo "under the hood" knowledge but what's the difference between the 2 and 4 Tivo premieres? I understand not making things compatible with older S3 models but I was under the impression that the 2 and 4 tuner premiers were the same architecture but there must be more than just 2 more tuners under there.
The Mini has a restriction whereby it can only be paired with a four tuner TiVo. Sounds silly but apparently it's true. Marketing the device is going to be a nightmare.

I think the two and four tuner TiVos are pretty much the same in terms of architecture but I don't really know.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #1550
P42

Commenting on mr_smits 1 to 5
  1. Doubtful they care abouth t eRoku3 release, and if this is the cause of the delay, then they are wusses.
    Suddenlink: This is very possible, maybe it highlighted a significant software bug.
    They would have know about this sooner, and planned around it.

@Riverdome:
The Mini will work fine with a two tuner Premieres IMO. Tivo is choosing to tie it to 4 tuner, possible to enable live TV viewing without disrupting the Tivo it is viewing from - doing this without disruption from a two tuner box is less likely. In a house with just a two tuner box it is more likely that both tuners will be recording, particularly during prime time viewing, which is likely also when people would like to watch live TV.
Yes, the Mini would server as a perfectly good streaming only box, and no live TV option, but then the Mini would not be fully part of the whole house TV viewing experience, as you'd not be able to watch live cable co supplied TV from that location.

Like others, I'll not by buying a Mini any time soon, but then, I'd also need to buy a second TV to connect it to
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #1551
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
The only thing I can think that might be an issue is that the two-tuner Premieres include OTA and analog tuners and the four-tuner Premieres are digital only. Regardless of the input signal, the two-tuners Tivos can save programming to storage, so it seems like they should be able to stream to a Mini.

I suspect that it's more of an artificial limitation. Tivo either wants to avoid turning someone's two-tuner box into a one-tuner box, or they want to give consumers extra incentive to buy four-tuner boxes.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #1552
jamesjones_det

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
The Mini has a restriction whereby it can only be paired with a four tuner TiVo. Sounds silly but apparently it's true. Marketing the device is going to be a nightmare.

I think the two and four tuner TiVos are pretty much the same in terms of architecture but I don't really know.
I don't remember where exactly I saw the requirement list but I thought I saw that the 2 tuner cable and 2 tuner OTA TiVos were supported.

I don't think two tuner versions will be supported until dynamic tuner allocation is added (if ever). What we also don't know is can a mini stream recorded shows from a 2 tuner premier? I would bet you can, but probably won't be advertised because the mini is not fully functional at that point.

This is all just rampant speculation until we here more from TiVo.
jamesjones_det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #1553
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Here is my list in order of most likely to least likely:
  1. Roku 3 was just announced; waiting for the discussion to die down
  2. The Suddenlink rollout of the Mini has resulted in some interesting lessons (support, education, pricing, etc) that Tivo wants to incorporate for a better retail user experience.
  3. The Tivo Desktop software is almost complete.
  4. Android Stream compatibility is almost complete.
  5. Dynamic tuner issue is almost complete.
I doubt that another company's unrelated product has anything to do with it.

The retail user experience is undoubtedly a factor in the release - "What do you mean it won't work with my TiVo??!" ad nauseum.

I don't get why a company would release a product when a major update will be required for it just a few weeks later, i.e. dynamic tuner allocation. This is the obvious reason for the delay as far as I'm concerned.

Either way the Mini is shaping up to be a cluster and it hasn't even come out yet which is a record even for TiVo.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #1554
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjones_det View Post
I don't remember where exactly I saw the requirement list but I thought I saw that the 2 tuner cable and 2 tuner OTA TiVos were supported.

I don't think two tuner versions will be supported until dynamic tuner allocation is added (if ever). What we also don't know is can a mini stream recorded shows from a 2 tuner premier? I would bet you can, but probably won't be advertised because the mini is not fully functional at that point.

This is all just rampant speculation until we here more from TiVo.
I agree with you pretty much. I think the issue of current incompatibility with two tuner models which will be fixed with the dynamic tuner allocation update is the reason for the delay. Two tuner models on your network are supported currently apparently but the initial pairing has to be done with a four tuner model. Ridiculous really.

Anything else and the lack of logic to the whole thing just gets to be too much to take the product seriously.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #1555
takeagabu

I was speaking to a tech blog editor and this is what he said:

I believe the four tuner requirement is purely business related, not a technical limitation. So no, I don't expect the Mini to work with a two-tuner Tivo.
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #1556
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeagabu View Post
I was speaking to a tech blog editor and this is what he said:

I believe the four tuner requirement is purely business related, not a technical limitation. So no, I don't expect the Mini to work with a two-tuner Tivo.
That's not the whole story though. It *does* stream from 2 tuner units, but also requires a 4 tuner host.

Perhaps when TiVo was preparing the support staff for retail release they finally realized the current restrictions are just too hard to explain easily and may have resulted in many returned units. So either they need more time to put together all the marketing and support infrastructure to deal with the complex requirements or they are actually re-thinking releasing to retail with those complications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #1557
davezatz
Funkadelic

CNET published than pulled a TiVo Mini review. Not sure what's going on... but an excerpt lives on in their RSS feed.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #1558
jjd_87

Quote:
CNET published than pulled a TiVo Mini review. Not sure what's going on... but an excerpt lives on in their RSS feed.

Any way to link to this? I can't find it.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #1559
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Any way to link to this? I can't find it.
It's in their RSS feed, at least the services that cache it for any length. This is the destination page - I assume it had all the details but then they must have wiped it. I didn't actually get to read it - the alert came in too late.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-medi...-35627726.html
Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #1560
jjd_87

Quote:
It's in their RSS feed, at least the services that cache it for any length. This is the destination page - I assume it had all the details but then they must have wiped it. I didn't actually get to read it - the alert came in too late.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-medi...-35627726.html
bummer
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote