TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #1501
lgerbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Yikes, I realized after what I said about my AMD I was thinking transcoding, not decoding. My bad.... getting older sucks
Yeah, that would explain it. When you transcode you are also performing an encode, and all the codecs we are are talking about tend to be asymmetric in practice (encoding takes more horsepower than decoding). Plus I am betting you are decoding mpeg2 and encoding h.264, which is also a substantial complexity increase.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #1502
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I received an e-mail from TiVo today with this headline:

" Don’t miss out! Save up to $230 on TiVo Bundle "

I open it to find it's a Stream bundle. WTF?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #1503
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Wow, that's pretty surprising. Imagine what a deal with a tier 1 MSO would be like! Although they would have to heavily customize it for the MSO.

I can't make any sense of those numbers, except for the revenue numbers. That's pretty impressive. Are those MSOs using TiVo as their only DVR solution, or is TiVo competing against Motorola and Sci Atlanta?
Yes. TiVo is the exclusive advanced television solution provider for all of them.

Agreed on Tier 1s. They tend to want a lot more customization. TiVo does have a deal with Charter Communications (4 million subscribers) but as you probably know they are heading down a different, more customized, "cloud-driven" path. What comes out of their TiVo agreement is anyone's guess - it likely will start with some sort of tablet/companion app that is a variant of the TiVo iOS app.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #1504
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Sam, what is your estimate of canibilization/churn as a result of the Mini? How many Premiere subs will be lost due to new Mini subs?
It will expand the overall TiVo subscriber base, as there are a lot of people out there with 3-5 TV's who won't buy 3-5 Premieres, but will buy a Premiere or two and some Minis, especially when they get dynamic tuner allocation and support 9 Minis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgerbarg View Post
The iPad 4 absolutely has enough horse power to decode MPEG2 at 1080P in software, it just would suck for battery consumption.
That makes more sense... all about those license fees. So basically if you play an MPEG-2 file back on an iPad, you're just going to end up with a hot, dead iPad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Pretty much all HD boxes support H.264, a lot of the older SD boxes do not. Until they replace all their deployed equipment with boxes capable of decoding H.264 they can not convert the majority of the channels. In either case the TiVo Premiere, and presumably the Mini, support H.264 already. So if your cable company makes the switch it will be seamless to you.
Comcast has a fleet of MPEG-2 only boxes, like the DCT 64XX series. Yes, they are ancient tanks and some of them don't have HDMI, but they are still out there. It wouldn't be that hard to replace them, however, with a slow phase-out of MPEG-2 HD. If they pre-announced it, and then did a few channels at a time, people would trickle in to get new boxes, and they could free up bandwidth for better HD quality and more channels. But that's way too advanced for Comcast! They could do 9.5mbps MPEG-4 (4 per QAM), and it would be gorgeous, way better than the 12mbps triple-channeled MPEG-2 they do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Yes. TiVo is the exclusive advanced television solution provider for all of them.

Agreed on Tier 1s. They tend to want a lot more customization. TiVo does have a deal with Charter Communications (4 million subscribers) but as you probably know they are heading down a different, more customized, "cloud-driven" path. What comes out of their TiVo agreement is anyone's guess - it likely will start with some sort of tablet/companion app that is a variant of the TiVo iOS app.
That's how they're getting those numbers on the smaller providers. If they had a lower-cost option, TiVo wouldn't do nearly as well. It's ultimately good for the customers though, as people probably don't realize how much better TiVo is until they use it.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #1505
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Is virgin Media getting the Mini? That is until Liberty dumps TiVo ala directv for their in house DVR.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #1506
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Is virgin Media getting the Mini? That is until Liberty dumps TiVo ala directv for their in house DVR.
Pretty sure this is an NTSC, US-Centric device.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #1507
rainwater

Quote:
The Mini doesn't contain a tuner afaik.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #1508
lgerbarg

Quote:
As far as plugging a box into a TV goes, back in the analog days NTSC vs PAL vs SECAM mattered. All that is long gone with HD and digital, HDMI is HDMI. The broadcast encoding is different between the US and Europe (which is now ATSC in the US), but it does not actually leak in through the untuned video inputs any more.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #1509
takeagabu

So it's March 6th.....(holds out hand) Tivo Mini please
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #1510
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeagabu View Post
So it's March 6th.....(holds out hand) Tivo Mini please
It's 9PM Pacific Time, March 5th, in Cali which is where TiVo is located. I think that "March 6th" for them probably would mean sometime in the next 10-18 hours.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #1511
innocentfreak

I could see a press release 9 AM PST. My gut says it will be direct from TiVo only initially so they will wait till morning.

I could also see them delaying it a day to screw with Zatz.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #1512
jfh3

Past midnight in California. No sign of the Mini
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #1513
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Past midnight in California. No sign of the Mini
Product launch press releases are not generally issued in the middle of the night. That said, it's now 2 minutes before the stock market opens and......still nothing. I can see an announcement happening anytime during business hours today though.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #1514
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Product launch press releases are not generally issued in the middle of the night. That said, it's now 2 minutes before the stock market opens and......still nothing. I can see an announcement happening anytime during business hours today though.
Actually, TiVo has a history of midnight embargos... And, for comparison, the Roku 3 was announced at 9PM EST yesterday.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #1515
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Actually, TiVo has a history of midnight embargos... And, for comparison, the Roku 3 was announced at 9PM EST yesterday.
Did not know that. Getting a little worried now - but notice tivo.com is loading pages awfully slow this morning so maybe something's up.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #1516
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Did not know that. Getting a little worried now - but notice tivo.com is loading pages awfully slow this morning so maybe something's up.
Yeah, everybody going to the page to see if its on sale yet is the reason why its running slow.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #1517
mahohmei

It appears that the TiVo mini will only work if there is a four-tuner TiVo in the home. All I currently have is a Premiere two-tuner for which I paid $500 (lifetime service).

Does TiVo have future plans to make the mini compatible with two-tuner TiVos? I really want a mini for my bedroom TV, but not badly enough to replace the TiVo. :-)

I had heard somewhere that TiVo is working on making the mini not even tie up one tuner on the master unit.
mahohmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #1518
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Yep. I'm guessing midnight tonight.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #1519
cmonroe

Looks like the mini does not live (today at least). It amazes me how long it's taken them to develop a thin client. It really isn't that much work, especially when the core software functionality already exists on a similar platform just with no local storage. This thing was announced for release what, a year ago?
cmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #1520
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
Yeah, everybody going to the page to see if its on sale yet is the reason why its running slow.
Yeah, kind of wondered the same thing after I wrote it. It seems to be loading much faster now that everybody has probably given up for the day!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #1521
agdoc2001

I've got TWC and a home with 5 tvs. One is on an HD TiVo, one is on a cable box, the other 3 are plugged into the wall. I was waiting for the mini and thinking of adding an xl4 to the living room, putting the HD in the master bedroom, and eventually putting 3 minis on the other sets. But now the Roku 3 has a TWC channel and I'm thinking really hard about keeping the Hd TiVo and just adding Roku 3 to the other tvs. Would I really be missing anything with this setup? Obviously, I couldn't watch my recorded shows everywhere, but I tend to watch those in the living room only and only watch live tv on the other sets.
agdoc2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #1522
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Still nothing 13:20EST

http://investor.tivo.com/phoenix.zht...rol-news&nyo=0

TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #1523
takeagabu

I think I know the problem. This is Tivo, so they must have meant March 6th 2014.
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #1524
Dan203
Super Moderator

Well we based all this hype on info provided by one person. Apparently (s)he was wrong or TiVo changed their plans. In any case the fact that it's listed on the beta site, and that it was briefly listed on the main site, indicates that it is very close. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, but if it's not at least released this month I'd be very surprised.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #1525
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I don't know what's more ridiculous right now, the fact that they haven't put this thing on sale yet, or the fact that I actually believed that they were going to put this thing on sale today.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #1526
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Well we based all this hype on info provided by one person. Apparently (s)he was wrong or TiVo changed their plans.
I also attended the online dealer meeting for the Mini. This is legitimate, coming from TiVo.

All TiVo dealers were notified about the Mini March 6 release date.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #1527
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
I also attended the online dealer meeting for the Mini. This is legitimate, coming from TiVo.

All TiVo dealers were notified about the Mini March 6 release date.
Then I would imagine that at least a couple of you guys have contacts at TiVo who could be interrogated on what happened to the promised March 6th release.

jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #1528
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I don't know what's more ridiculous right now, the fact that they haven't put this thing on sale yet, or the fact that I actually believed that they were going to put this thing on sale today.
This is what happens when you have rampant speculation, TiVo never said when the Mini was going to be released, so giving TiVo bad rap for not releasing something they never said they were going to release is not sensible. One poster said it would be released today and many of you think TiVo took a full page ad out in the New York Times saying that on March 6 they would release the Mini.
People are also carping on the price (a guess also), the same thing happened when in Sept of 2006 the first Series 3 was announced at $800, don't like the price (of any product) don't purchase.
BUT
To keep posting about both of these things without any new confirmed information just clogged up this thread without providing anything useful, and if something useful was posted most people could not find it.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #1529
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Then I would imagine that at least a couple of you guys have contacts at TiVo who could be interrogated on what happened to the promised March 6th release.

I'll contact my rep tomorrow.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #1530
bluebsh

odd that TiVo doesn't them on the site... our local best buy has them in stock and was going to put them out today apparently, but as of right now has not put them on the shelves yet
bluebsh is offline   Reply With Quote