TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #1291
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Hopefully Tivo will work on that. Netflix streaming is a big deal, and having it missing on Minis is concerning.
Agreed. I suspect that getting Netflix and Amazon Instant Video are probably a high priority for them although only retail subs are effected. *

* - Alaska's GCI cable operator will launch including Amazon on the Premiere. It doesn't look like they are launching with the Mini so the lack of Amazon could be the reason.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #1292
atmuscarella

Thought I would revisit the math just for the fun of it on some options that people will have available with the Mini. I using full retail price no discounts, lifetime service on all devices, and assumed the family didn't qualify for Multi Serivce Discount on the first TiVo DVR:

2 TV Setup:
  1. $1000 = 1 Premiere 4 + 1 Mini
  2. $1200 = 2 Premieres
  3. $1300 = 1 Premiere + 1 Premiere 4
  4. $1400 = 2 Premiere 4s
3 TV Setup:
  1. $1250 = 1 Premiere 4 + 2 Minis
  2. $1550 = 1 Premiere 4 + 1 Premiere + 1 Mini
  3. $1650 = 2 Premiere 4 + 1 Min
  4. $1750 = 3 Premieres
  5. $1850 = 1 Premiere 4 + 2 Premieres
  6. $1950 = 2 Premiere 4s + 1 Premiere
  7. $2050 = 3 Premiere 4s
Seem like the mini does a good job of lowering the whole home costs for 3 or more TVs (min with Mini of $1250 vs min without Mini of $1750) plus for many people the Mini solutions will also reduce cable card and/or outlet fees.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #1293
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Agreed. I suspect that getting Netflix and Amazon Instant Video are probably a high priority for them although only retail subs are effected. *

* - Alaska's GCI cable operator will launch including Amazon on the Premiere. It doesn't look like they are launching with the Mini so the lack of Amazon could be the reason.
Amazon Prime/Instant streaming will be on the Premiere? Interesting.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #1294
innocentfreak

Quote:
Amazon Prime/Instant streaming will be on the Premiere? Interesting.
Instant isn't their Prime service. It is the app they already have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #1295
innocentfreak

Quote:

Does the Stream work with Amazon content? I didn't think it did due to some protection of the content.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #1296
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Instant isn't their Prime service. It is the app they already have.
Oh. So just the standard Amazon downloadable content options like have been available for many years.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #1297
Philmatic

Additional documents uploaded:

Specs: http://www3-beta.tivo.com/assets/pdf...mini_specs.pdf
Start Here: http://www3-beta.tivo.com/assets/pdf...ere_Poster.pdf

They also updated the Whole Home diagram to include the Mini: http://www3-beta.tivo.com/products/t...ome/index.html
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #1298
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yeah - I called that price on the nose! Just as I suspected... I haven't purchased a 4 tuner TiVo yet, I am kind of hoping that they do a minor processor refresh soon.

When that happens I will get an XL6 and two Mini's... Should take care of me just fine!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #1299
Loach

Disappointing that it doesn't support Netflix. I may go see if my local Best Buy has any of those $35 clearance 320GB Premieres left. For $185 extra (lifetime) + $1.99 monthly cable card rental I'd get full functionality on my 2nd primary TV and extra storage. Of course, those units are probably gone....

Will probably pick up a couple Minis later but they'll be relegated to the office and bedroom TVs (and I'll be opportunistic on price deals).
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #1300
P42

And where are you getting Lifetime for $185???

ForSale: TCD746320 with Lifetime
WTB: Sprint iPhone5
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #1301
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
No I mean the difference would be $185 under lifetime scenarios for either:

BB Clearance 320GB Premiere: $35 + $400 Lifetime = $435
Mini: $100 + $150 Lifetime = $250

Difference = $185
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #1302
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
He means ($35 + $400) - ($100 + $150) = $185 more; Where those are 320 GB Premiere and Mini, plus Lifetime service, respectively.

Edit...Too slow.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #1303
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Additional documents uploaded:

Specs: http://www3-beta.tivo.com/assets/pdf...mini_specs.pdf
Start Here: http://www3-beta.tivo.com/assets/pdf...ere_Poster.pdf

They also updated the Whole Home diagram to include the Mini: http://www3-beta.tivo.com/products/t...ome/index.html
All of these URLs have "beta" in them, which indicates to me that they are not ready to be public. None of the links for more info or buying work yet.

In the setup page, I noticed this text:
"Connect your TiVo Mini to your home network using either a wired connection. A wireless connection is not supported."

This looks like bad editing of a sentence that probably used to say "Connect your TiVo Mini to your home network using either a wired connection or a wireless connection."
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.

Last edited by Arcady : 03-01-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #1304
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
All of these URLs have "beta" in them, which indicates to me that they are not ready to be public.
But that's what makes it fun....
Old 03-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #1305
mazman

Once the Mini is connected to a 4 tuner TiVo, can it view shows recorded on 2 tuner TiVos on the network?

I ask because the second bullet on the product overview makes me think it might not
http://www3-beta.tivo.com/assets/pdf...mini_specs.pdf

Last edited by mazman : 03-01-2013 at 03:44 PM.
mazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #1306
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Yes, it can view shows from 2-tuner and 4-tuner Premieres on the network.
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #1307
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
Once the Mini is connected to a 4 tuner TiVo, can it view shows recorded on 2 tuner TiVos on the network?

I ask because the second bullet on the product overview makes me think it might not
http://www3-beta.tivo.com/assets/pdf...mini_specs.pdf
Recorded shows, yes.

Live TV, no. That 2nd bullet mentions live TV, which probably why it specifies a 4-tuner box.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #1308
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If the Mini can't stream Netflix that would be a strike against it. For me though, fortunately the Roku 3 is coming out the same day as the Mini. So the room that I will be using a Mini will also be getting one of my old Roku 2 boxes. So if the Mini cannot stream Netflix, it won't be a detriment for me.
To me it would be a big strike against it and possibly a deal breaker. I intended to use it as a replacement UI for my slow Elite (which can sluggishly run Netflix), so missing Netflix is a big deal to me.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #1309
moyekj

TiVo's own marketing is already wrong:
Quote:
The TiVo Mini conveniently allows you to enjoy all the entertainment from your TiVo Premiere 4 or Premiere XL4/Elite DVR in another room through your home network (Ethernet or MoCA setup only. Wireless setup not supported).
They don't mention that you can also stream programs from 2 tuner Premiere units. Perhaps they figured mentioning 2 tuner Premiere units would just confuse things more that it is worth.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #1310
lessd

Quote:
All of these URLs have "beta" in them, which indicates to me that they are not ready to be public. None of the links for more info or buying work yet.

"Connect your TiVo Mini to your home network using either a wired connection. A wireless connection is not supported."

This looks like bad editing of a sentence that probably used to say "Connect your TiVo Mini to your home network using either a wired connection or a wireless connection."
The Mini will not be able to use a Wireless connection, just direct or the built in MoCa.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #1311
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Ok so back to this table....

I have my Premiere 4 hooked directly to my router via ethernet cable. My mini will be in the bedroom hooked up to coax cable so these two Tivo things will be the only devices using MoCA (sharing video). Does this mean that the Premiere doesn't share the internet with the Mini and that I would need a separate way to provide internet access to the Mini to use the mini at full potential?
No. MoCA should be a valid internet source to the Mini.
I don't remember if the Premiere 4 defaults to bridging MoCA to Ethernet, JJd_87 might need to go into the network menus and enable that.

But with MoCA and bridging turned on the Mini will have no problem talking to the router (and through it to the internet). Signal path would be:
Mini --[MoCA]--> Premiere 4 --[Ethernet]--> Router --[cable/fios/dls]--> Internet
Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #1312
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I don't remember if the Premiere 4 defaults to bridging MoCA to Ethernet, JJd_87 might need to go into the network menus and enable that.

But with MoCA and bridging turned on the Mini will have no problem talking to the router (and through it to the internet). Signal path would be:
Mini --[MoCA]--> Premiere 4 --[Ethernet]--> Router --[cable/fios/dls]--> Internet
I just set up a MoCa and one TP4 was already directly connected to the router, so I just turned on the Moca and it was automatically bridged to the router, just connected 2 Moca adapters to my other two TPs and turned on the Moca on my other TP4 and all works great, I getting between 65Mb/s to 75 Mb/s on all TPs on xfer speed.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #1313
UCLABB

Mini video output.

I plan to get a mini and for a time have it connected to an old TV that only has component inputs, no HDMI.

Looking at the picture of the back of the mini, it seems to have only one jack called component rather than the normal 3. Is there some multi jack adapter that needs to be used?
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #1314
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Mini video output.

I plan to get a mini and for a time have it connected to an old TV that only has component inputs, no HDMI.

Looking at the picture of the back of the mini, it seems to have only one jack called component rather than the normal 3. Is there some multi jack adapter that needs to be used?
Based on the data sheet, it looks like the Mini ships with an HDMI cable. I expect there will be some sort of accessory cable you'll have to buy to use the component jack which breaks out the signal. I expect we would see TiVo post that device along with the IR extender mentioned earlier upon launch.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #1315
Aero 1

Quote:

yea, its not a typo. the typo doesnt extend to pictures hammering the point that wireless is not supported.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #1316
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
yea, its not a typo. the typo doesnt extend to pictures hammering the point that wireless is not supported.

Not surprising considering the TiVo Stream requires that the Premiere is wired as well. Of course, support and what users on TCF will try are something different. As mentioned earlier, if a user has a robust enough WiFi set-up it might actually work... I'm curious to see what results people have trying to get this thing working wirelessly since hi quality MPEG2 + the TiVo Mini to Host DVR proprietary control might require a lot of bandwidth -- probably 20 Mbps.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #1317
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Not surprising considering the TiVo Stream requires that the Premiere is wired as well. Of course, support and what users on TCF will try are something different. As mentioned earlier, if a user has a robust enough WiFi set-up it might actually work... I'm curious to see what results people have trying to get this thing working wirelessly since hi quality MPEG2 + the TiVo Mini to Host DVR proprietary control might require a lot of bandwidth -- probably 20 Mbps.
That's low bandwidth. Wireless N at 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz has no problem with speeds several times that if you don't have any interference issues or saturated APs. On my Laptop I can get 150Mb/s throughput over 5Ghz WiFi with large transfers and with my wireless bridges I get over 100Mb/s throughput over 2.4 and 5Ghz. I can connect any of my Premieres to one of my wireless Bridges and the experience will be identical to when it's connected to the wired portion of the network when streaming from another TiVo. So I would expect that when I test the Mini with a wireless bridge that it would perform the same way as the Premiere does on the wireless Bridge.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #1318
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
That would work. There really aren't 6 OTA channels I would record at the same time unless I want to have a DISH Hopper style device (recording primetime networks all the time).
Some of us (like me) use both OTA *and* Cable. Why? Because OTA signals can be much, much better (much higher bitrate) than what is offered on cable. It is also a good backup for locals in case of CATV failure.

So although there might not be a great demand for a 6 tuner OTA ONLY unit, having a 6 tuner unit which just so happens to also work OTA is a true benefit.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #1319
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Yeah - I called that price on the nose! Just as I suspected... I haven't purchased a 4 tuner TiVo yet, I am kind of hoping that they do a --minor-- major processor refresh soon.

When that happens I will get an XL6 and two Mini's... Should take care of me just fine!
+1

I won't spend a dime on any more or additional TiVo devices at this point until there is at least a significant CPU update along with it.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #1320
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Some of us (like me) use both OTA *and* Cable. Why? Because OTA signals can be much, much better (much higher bitrate) than what is offered on cable.
What are your sources that cable companies are compressing locals? I know that Cox for example does not compress locals at all. They pass the bitrate they receive to the customer. The local TV stations are the ones screwing with the compression by adding more sub-channels.

In fact in a lot of cases the cable companies are not the ones compressing the cable channels, its the provider so they can get more channels on the satellite.
Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote