TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #1111
moyekj

DigitalDawn, so I guess there was no mention if Netflix or other apps would be available via the Mini at retail launchi?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #1112
DigitalDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
DigitalDawn, so I guess there was no mention if Netflix or other apps would be available via the Mini at retail launchi?
Yes, they will work on the Mini as well.
DigitalDawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #1113
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
So looks like option to use with only a 2 tuner unit as the host (without live tv capability of course) is not going to be available any time soon if ever.
Pricing is actually better than I expected at $250, which means a few months after release can drop down to close to $200 range via online retailers which is my threshold. Depending on feedback even at $250 I may consider it since I already have an Elite anyway. What would really get my attention is if Mini is very speedy using HDUI and Flash apps - that means I could relegate sluggish Elite to a headless unit and use the Mini on that TV.
It makes you wonder if the next model will only be a 4 tuner which would then include OTA. This way every new TiVo supports the Mini.

Hopefully more retailers carry it than the Stream. Other than the Best Buy coupon the Stream has only been at MSRP.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #1114
DigitalDawn

I'm personally hoping for a 6-tuner model with Stream built-in. In my household that would be enough tuners for recording and Live TV.
DigitalDawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #1115
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
I'm personally hoping for a 6-tuner model with Stream built-in. In my household that would be enough tuners for recording and Live TV.
Oh I definitely agree. I am ready for a 6 tuner.

I could just see them dropping the 2 tuner model completely if they can get the 4 tuner model cheap enough. Otherwise you risk people buying a 2 tuner and later going to add a Mini only to find out they can't.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #1116
mr_smits

Quote:
Yes, you still need a 4-tuner TiVo to use the Mini.
Okay. Well since I just decided this morning (before reading this) to cut the cord and try using Tivo for OTA service, Netflix streaming, maybe Hulu, etc. I will not be buying a 4 tuner Premiere and 2 Minis for the time being. I will keep an eye out for the rumored successor to the Elite/XL4/4 that could have OTA accessible via a dongle.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #1117
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
It makes you wonder if the next model will only be a 4 tuner which would then include OTA. This way every new TiVo supports the Mini.
There were some rumors based on a TiVo FCC waiver request that there would be a 4 tuner combo OTA/Cable DVR coming but that it would be digital only (no analog OTA or Cable), which was what the waiver was for. So who knows.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #1118
dave13077

Looks like the MOCA bridge will not be part of the unit and will have to be purchased separately. Not a big deal as I am sure they wanted to try to keep the price down on the unit. It will be interesting to see if it is the same adapter that they already sell.
dave13077 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #1119
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
Looks like the MOCA bridge will not be part of the unit and will have to be purchased separately. Not a big deal as I am sure they wanted to try to keep the price down on the unit. It will be interesting to see if it is the same adapter that they already sell.
TiVo Mini is a MoCA end-point. It won't bridge a MoCA connection like the 4/XL4 to provide ethernet to other devices.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #1120
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
TiVo Mini is a MoCA end-point. It won't bridge a MoCA connection like the 4/XL4 to provide ethernet to other devices.
OK thanks, Got it.... So I assume it should have a MOCA connection built into it and won't need anything else to connect to MOCA.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #1121
sbiller

Quote:
OK thanks, Got it.... So I assume it should have a MOCA connection built into it and won't need anything else to connect to MOCA.
Correct. Its a certified MoCA 1.1 design. Details here -> http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-02/...ails-revealed/
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #1122
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Yes, you still need a 4-tuner TiVo to use the Mini.
LAME.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #1123
NAMLOOT

Sorry if this has been answered, but could I hook a slingbox up to the mini?
NAMLOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #1124
dave13077

Will they have to roll out a software update for the Mini or is the current software ready to roll?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #1125
sbiller

Quote:
Will they have to roll out a software update for the Mini or is the current software ready to roll?
Suddenlink is pushing the Mini to its users with 20.2.1 so I assume that the current baseline Premiere software is sufficient for the Mini.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #1126
tbielowicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
My Triple play from Comcast comes with one HD cable box, it may not be free but if I turn it in I don't save any money, so to me it is free, with the package I have, for my cable cards, for some reason, Comcast does not charge me any AO fee, the bill at one time had a line for the A/O fee that was $0, now the bill does not even have a line for the A/O fee. I do have 4 CC and just pay for the cards ($1.15/month/per card)

Then you are lucky. For years I never was charged for my Outlet fees but as of 6 months ago, they dinged me for an outlet fee for each Cable Card. I turned in my HD Box and had the HD fee and Outlet fee removed, only being charged for the cable card since I used this as my main outlet (which is included).

I had two TVs getting the adapters which now have a $2.99/mth charge. Every 6 months, comcast is looking for new ways to increase my bill.

Last edited by tbielowicz : 02-26-2013 at 12:48 PM.
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #1127
tbielowicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMLOOT View Post
Sorry if this has been answered, but could I hook a slingbox up to the mini?
I wouldn't see why not, but why wouldn't it just be hooked up to your main Tivo box?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #1128
NAMLOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post
I wouldn't see why not, but why wouldn't it just be hooked up to your main Tivo box?
Don't want to monopolize the primary TV in the house when I travel. Unless I am missing something, the sling only shows what is on the screen for the attached device. Thinking of using the mini as a sling client only. Thoughts?
NAMLOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #1129
tbielowicz

So the real benefit of the mini will be the following:
- HD Picture Quality (no loss in original PQ)
- Multiple users (on main Tivo box plus Mini's at the same time)
- One cable card & outlet fee

Negatives:
- Allocates the tuner so it will not be used for recording
- $250 lifetime cost

If I had a six tuner, I would be all over this one. Now I have to make sure that this works for my setup since on occasion, I have 4 channels recording.

I currently have a BOCs unit distributing DVD quality video from my main Tivo unit via Coax. It works well as long as there are not multiple users. Plus if the whole family watches a game, every TV in the house can watch it at the same time (slight lag from original TV).

Any word on a 6 tuner that may be in development?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #1130
tbielowicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMLOOT View Post
Don't want to monopolize the primary TV in the house when I travel. Unless I am missing something, the sling only shows what is on the screen for the attached device. Thinking of using the mini as a sling client only. Thoughts?
Gotcha, I have the same issue with the Slingbox and you are correct, that may solve that limitation.

I would say yes, but until someone proves this, we can't be sure.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #1131
aaronwt
HD Addict

So I guess since lifetime is only going to be $149, I might as well get that instead of going monthly at $6. Since the break even point is only 25 months. Plus I'll be saving $4 a month anyway by having one less cable card.

I just need to go through both my Elites to see which one the Mini will be connected to. One of them regularly uses all four tuners.

Now I hope they get the stream working with Android and announce a six tuner box with built in stream capabilities soon.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 02-26-2013 at 01:07 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #1132
wizardman13

Hello to all! I've been following all the post of the "Mini" since November. I'll be really happy if it does come out next week. As a new tivo user, I hope they put together a bundle package for new users.
wizardman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1133
sbiller

Quote:
[b]Any word on a 6 tuner that may be in development?
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-02/...n-digital-dvr/
Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #1134
DaveDFW

Quote:
Pricing: $99.99 Monthly: $5.99 or Lifetime: $149.99
I guess it's nice to finally have some real pricing information, though I still think the Mini is overpriced for its capabilities.

A two-tuner base Premiere isn't that much more expensive and has the benefit of being a full-featured DVR that can operate independently. A Mini will be absolutely useless without a four-tuner box on your network.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #1135
sbiller

Cost of Equipping Three TVs with TiVo

Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #1136
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I guess it's nice to finally have some real pricing information, though I still think the Mini is overpriced for its capabilities.

A two-tuner base Premiere isn't that much more expensive and has the benefit of being a full-featured DVR that can operate independently. A Mini will be absolutely useless without a four-tuner box on your network.
Well, assuming you can find a 2 tuner Premiere for $50 that's still $450 with lifetime, so $200 more than a Mini, and you don't get the HDUI & Flash app speedups (newer SOC). Plus to make the Premiere more useful than the Mini you have to have a CableCard attached so may have to factor in the monthly cost of that in as well. The price difference is enough to make me consider a Mini largely for the potential speedup.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #1137
dave13077

Quote:
There is also the savings of not needing a CableCard for the Mini. That savings is monthly since you can't buy a CableCard and have to rent it from the cable co.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #1138
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Of course it's going to be cheaper to use a mini, but in your first scenario you have six tuners, while the second one only has four tuners. Four tuners wasn't enough for me when I used VCRs, and it wasn't enough for me when I started using TiVos in 2001. Which is why I went with a minimum of six tuners from the very beginning when I first got TiVos from DirecTV.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #1139
sbiller

Here is the Verizon FiOS Scenario... obviously there are trade-offs (pros/cons) with using Minis v actual Premiere boxes.... 70% monthly saving for 3 TVs.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #1140
P42

Quote:
Negatives:
- Allocates the tuner so it will not be used for recording
- $250 lifetime cost
If you want/need the option of watching live TV on the Mini(s), then yes you do lose a tuner, but if you are just using the Mini to watch existing content, then no, you don't need to allocate and lose a tuner. It is expected that this will go away at some point...but I would be surprised if it gets pushed down the road a a bit.
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote