TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #421
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I got the impression more that they would like to do that, but technically it isn't something that could easily be added. It doesn't seem to fit their current design so it would require thinking the whole process.
Yeh not sure. I specifically asked her about it because Direct TV does it and she mentioned Spring
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #422
jcthorne

I see the combined NPL list as a significantly easier task to complete than the cooperative scheduling.

I would be very happy just to get the combined NPL and notification of scheduling conflicts with tivo asking if I would like to send the task to another tivo on the network. IE no real time processing, just updates based on reciept of guide data and the current todo list.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #423
Dan203
Super Moderator

A combined My Shows (new name, get use to it ) would be nice. However I hope there is a way to turn it off. My wife and I each have our own TiVos with our own shows and if it showed me all the crap she records in my My Shows list it would be very annoying.

I also think schedule time conflict resolution is entirely possible. When scheduling a one time show that generated a conflict it would be very easy for them to prompt the user and ask if they would like to schedule it on another TiVo instead. However I would not want to be constantly bombarded by conflict messages from automatic recordings. Although perhaps they could add a simple dialog to the To Do List or Recording History that would allow you to manually schedule a conflict recording on an alternate TiVo.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #424
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
A combined My Shows (new name, get use to it ) would be nice. However I hope there is a way to turn it off. My wife and I each have our own TiVos with our own shows and if it showed me all the crap she records in my My Shows list it would be very annoying.
This is also why we need User Profiles and permissions first.

Assign a primary profile to each box and set permissions on who can delete from another TiVo or app. This way say you delete something she wants to watch it only hides it from your view, but under her profile it would still show up until she deleted it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #425
jmpage2

TiVo better get their collective asses in gear, because the DirecTV solution that handles up to 8 rooms is available now, and it's FREE for new subscribers.

Engadget has a review up and it is mostly favorable.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/29/d...iew/#continued
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #426
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
TiVo better get their collective asses in gear, because the DirecTV solution that handles up to 8 rooms is available now, and it's FREE for new subscribers.

Engadget has a review up and it is mostly favorable.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/29/d...iew/#continued
TiVo isn't going to offer a Satellite solution until the FCC forces the Satellite companies to open up their networks which may never happen. And my guess is that DirectTV isn't going to offer any new/updated TiVo solutions directly so I am not sure it matters much what DirectTV is doing (or Dishnetwork and AT&T for that matter).

What this is a good example of is why TiVo will never be able to compete on price (again unless the FCC is willing to do something about it).

DirectTV is bundling this DVR into new subscriber packages (it isn't free there just isn't a separate line item billing you for it). At least I don't consider signing a 2 year contract and having to pay a monthly fee "free" which is the only way you can get this DVR. So even if the FCC opened up Satellite they would also have to force DirectTV & Dishnetwork to give you a hardware credit if you brought in your own equipment.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 12-29-2012 at 04:41 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #427
jmpage2

You miss the point entirely. Most consumers could care less if their TV is piped in over a cable card or a satellite. Both Dish Network and DirecTV have multi room systems on the market being offered at attractive prices, contract or otherwise and TiVo continues to fumble.

You are against contracts which is fine, but most Americans could care less.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #428
jcthorne

I don't consider $120+ a month for service 'attractive prices'

No, indeed my whole home Tivo solution is far more cost effective in very short term. Direct TV is charging quite a lot for that DVR, essentially making you pay the purchase price over again annually every year.

If 'most Americans' feel a 2 year contract with a total cost of over $2000 a better deal than Tivo then it is doubtful any reasoned argument could persuade.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #429
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

No, indeed my whole home Tivo solution is far more cost effective in very short term. Direct TV is charging quite a lot for that DVR, essentially making you pay the purchase price over again annually every year.

If 'most Americans' feel a 2 year contract with a total cost of over $2000 a better deal than Tivo then it is doubtful any reasoned argument could persuade.
I agree 100%. Most people think its free but don't stop to think about the true cost. Directv has it all rolled up into their monthly service fees. It's funny that people somehow think they get anything for "free" from a big company like Directv.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #430
atmuscarella

Quote:
You miss the point entirely. Most consumers could care less if their TV is piped in over a cable card or a satellite. Both Dish Network and DirecTV have multi room systems on the market being offered at attractive prices, contract or otherwise and TiVo continues to fumble.

You are against contracts which is fine, but most Americans could care less.
If your point is TiVo should have this done by now then yes we agree.

However I don't agree that most consumers will switch pay TV providers based on a DVR. If a DVR were the consumers primary concern then no one would have a cable DVR and most people would have switch to DiretTV or Dishnetwork long ago.

My point was that you can not shop for DVRs based on price both cable and satellite companies bundle some or all of the cost of their DVRs into their package costs.

That said DirectTV charges existing customers $300 for this DVR as an up front rental fee (plus a monthly charge) and a $100 upfront rental fee for the extenders.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #431
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

I had Directv for awhile and I never paid $120 a month for service. I was paying around 60-70 or so depending on how many boxes I had active. I had all the "regular channels" and got the premium stuff when it was free for awhile.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #432
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I agree 100%. Most people think its free but don't stop to think about the true cost. Directv has it all rolled up into their monthly service fees. It's funny that people somehow think they get anything for "free" from a big company like Directv.
People also think they are getting a "FREE" cell phone when they sign a 2 year contract.

As far as monthly charges, no one can compete with Comcast... they are the highest. My wife and I get no premium channels and only get one tier up from basic cable.... our monthly bill for "TV" which includes the rental/outlet fees on a couple of TiVo units is over $90 a month.... and that only gets us viewing in two rooms of our huge home.

DirecTV or Dish Network are now far more affordable for getting similar programming as well as the ability to watch both live TV and HD recordings in multiple rooms of the house.

The only thing that's keeping me on TiVo at this point is the TiVo stream and the tissue thin promise of a whole-home solution that TiVo may or may not deliver in the next six months.

As of late TiVo seems more interested in patent litigation than in making great products. The fact that the full HD interface on their flagship DVR is still not done over 2 years after launch speaks volumes about their priorities these days.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #433
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
People also think they are getting a "FREE" cell phone when they sign a 2 year contract.
Indeed. It drives me crazy. I will even correct sales people when they say things like "the phone costs only $100" by telling them "no, the down-payment on that $500 phone is only $100."

It is a clever marketing trick that seems to have duped the vast majority of Americans, who end up paying more in the long run for all types of things.

The word "free" is so twisted and corrupted it is now meaningless. "Buy 2 get one free" is nonsense- if you have to do something or pay something, then there is nothing "free" about it. It is "Buy 2 get one at no additional charge".

Ug!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #434
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
... It is "Buy 2 get one at no additional charge".

Ug!
Actually the "Buy 2 get one free" gimmick is nothing more than a marketing tool to sell 3 for X dollars.

Basically because chain stores have no one to negotiate price with people have forgotten that an items selling price is a negotiation between the buyer and the seller.

There still is a negotiation but now it is a one way conversation, sellers negotiate by making various offers (via "sales" and other various marketing gimmicks like what we are talking about) until buyers buy. For the most part there are fairly limited ways for buyers to make counter offers.

I remember when my grandmother refused to go to one of the first local chain type stores because they would/could not negotiate price with her and there was no way she was going to pay what they wanted just because they put it on a tag.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #435
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:

As far as monthly charges, no one can compete with Comcast... they are the highest. My wife and I get no premium channels and only get one tier up from basic cable.... our monthly bill for "TV" which includes the rental/outlet fees on a couple of TiVo units is over $90 a month.... and that only gets us viewing in two rooms of our huge home.

DirecTV or Dish Network are now far more affordable for getting similar programming as well as the ability to watch both live TV and HD recordings in multiple rooms of the house.

The only thing that's keeping me on TiVo at this point is the TiVo stream and the tissue thin promise of a whole-home solution that TiVo may or may not deliver in the next six months.

As of late TiVo seems more interested in patent litigation than in making great products. The fact that the full HD interface on their flagship DVR is still not done over 2 years after launch speaks volumes about their priorities these days.

Just imagine the laugh I had when the AT&T Uverse (Internet) folks told me they were going to give me free wifi. I could not help but laugh at the lady. She tried to tell me their POS router was a good deal at $100 because I would get free wifi.

After I laughed a good couple of seconds then I asked her what I was supposed to do with my $149 router that had wireless N (not just G like theirs).
Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #436
jmpage2

Quote:
Just imagine the laugh I had when the AT&T Uverse (Internet) folks told me they were going to give me free wifi. I could not help but laugh at the lady. She tried to tell me their POS router was a good deal at $100 because I would get free wifi.

After I laughed a good couple of seconds then I asked her what I was supposed to do with my $149 router that had wireless N (not just G like theirs).
Not sure why you would get such a laugh out of one-upmanship over some call center minimum wage person who is in all likelihood reading from a script and has no idea what "g" or "n" are, other than both being letters of the alphabet.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #437
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Basically because chain stores have no one to negotiate price with people have forgotten that an items selling price is a negotiation between the buyer and the seller.

There still is a negotiation but now it is a one way conversation, sellers negotiate by making various offers (via "sales" and other various marketing gimmicks like what we are talking about) until buyers buy. For the most part there are fairly limited ways for buyers to make counter offers.
I negotiate prices in stores all the time. Of course, they usually have to get a manager and most of the time I get really weird looks, but it can still be done. I've gotten 10-25% in places like Best Buy, Target, and even Wal-Mart just by asking and negotiating. Sometimes they even take my first offer.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #438
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:

This is another YMMV - I've been on the Comcast double play promo for two years now and recently extended for another year. It's $80 for all channels and 20mbps internet (Blast). That and Cablecard are what keep me using them. I am fortunate that I can play U-Verse and both satco's off against Comcast when my promo expires, so I'm willing to wait and see what Tivo delivers with the Mini.
Right now I'm using a Media Center PC and a couple of Xboxes and Linksys DMA's for whole-home on secondary sets, but my Tivo Elite is my main DVR. If the Minis work well and get cheap enough, that could change.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #439
Philmatic

Quote:

I don't have to imagine your laugh, I'm laughing right now at the thought of you paying $149 for an "N" router when they aren't worth more than $60, dual band and all.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #440
HazelW

Comcast actually gives you a "free" N router. I do think you need to give it back if you leave Comcast, but there is no up front cost or monthly fee.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #441
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
I don't have to imagine your laugh, I'm laughing right now at the thought of you paying $149 for an "N" router when they aren't worth more than $60, dual band and all.
Yep, not saying that I actually paid that... it was MSRP.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #442
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Not sure why you would get such a laugh out of one-upmanship over some call center minimum wage person who is in all likelihood reading from a script and has no idea what "g" or "n" are, other than both being letters of the alphabet.
Um, cause it was funny.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #443
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I got an N router off the clearance shelf at Target for $19. But I use it for things that actually need wireless, not for a TiVo.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #444
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
Comcast actually gives you a "free" N router. I do think you need to give it back if you leave Comcast, but there is no up front cost or monthly fee.
My Verizon modem/router, with MoCA, is 802.11n and also "free". Of course, none of that speeds the Mini to market or influences TiVo's pricing strategy.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #445
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post

My Verizon modem/router, with MoCA, is 802.11n and also "free". Of course, none of that speeds the Mini to market or influences TiVo's pricing strategy.
Yep, I think we're all too tired of waiting on tivo for this and are getting a little bored. So, we diverged into routers.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #446
jamesjones_det

TiVo Mini Error codes show up

Saw that TiVo added TiVo Mini error codes today. At least it seems this thing might actually still be coming, someday...
jamesjones_det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #447
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm betting we hear something about it at CES next week

Dan
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #448
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm betting we hear something about it at CES next week

Dan
Do you mean solid CES rumors or an official announcement? I've heard that Tivo doesn't like to announce at CES as they get lost in the shuffle.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #449
Dan203
Super Moderator

They don't typically announce things, but they do talk to the "press" a bit and we usually hear something from them.

Dan
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #450
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Do you mean solid CES rumors or an official announcement? I've heard that Tivo doesn't like to announce at CES as they get lost in the shuffle.
They don't but the Mini is a known product. They could announce details of price and availability. It all depends on if the Mini is ready for prime time.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote