TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #271
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
You are better off switching to iPhone or iPad and getting the Stream than keeping your Android and getting a slingbox!
That's not going to happen
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #272
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I hope these new line of Slingboxes are better than the older ones. I had one and it was junk. I had similar lagging problems too. Sporadically worked within my home and had to always be reset to work. Initially, I couldn't get it to work outside my home either. I think it had to do with port forwarding within my home network, but I didn't have time to investigate it further so I just boxed it up & returned the whole unit for a refund.

I have briefly looked into the Vulkano devices as an alternative to Slingbox. I wonder how much better/worse they are.
I guess if i have any problems I'll still have a 60 day return period at Best Buy. I never had any issues with my Hava HD, so hopefully the SlingBox 350 will work well too. I certainly would hate to return it after having to buy the tablet and phone app.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #273
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you're main purpose is to stream inside the home then I'd hold out for the Android app and get a Stream. I don't think you'll be happy with the performance of the Slingbox for local streaming.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #274
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If you're main purpose is to stream inside the home then I'd hold out for the Android app and get a Stream. I don't think you'll be happy with the performance of the Slingbox for local streaming.

Dan
really? How bad is it? HAva HD worked great but it was only SD. But it streamed at up to 10Mb/s using MPEG2 over the local LAN to a PC. And to my phone and tablet it streamed at up to 1Mb/s using MPEG4 from the LAN as well as outside the home.

So will the Slingbox have issues with that? I figured since the box is being released in 2012 and has a newer chipset that it should be more efficient than my HavaHD I got 3.5 years ago. Which I think actually came out in 2007. So the hardware design is over five years old now.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #275
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quality is OK, but the lag is really annoying. There is a good 5 second delay between what is actually playing on the TiVo and what you're seeing in the app. That makes instant replay basically useless. Because when you hit the IR button it takes a second to send the IR command, then it takes 6 seconds for you to catch up to where the TiVo actually was when the button was pressed and then it just jumps back to basically the same place you were when you pushed the button originally. So you have to get into the habit of always pressing it twice, and even then you still have the 5 second delay between pressing the button and seeing the results on screen. FF and RW are completely impossible to use because by the time you see the point you want the TiVo has already gone past it for 5 seconds at 3x. 30 second skip works OK, but again the lag can make it hard to get back to the start of a program if you over shoot. Not to mention you're tying up the TiVo, so if you have anyone else in the house they can't watch it.

The Stream is digital so it knows where you are in the program regardless of how much has been buffered. So when you tell it to IR it tells the TiVo to seek back (currentposition)-8 and the seek happens immediately. (there is a slight 1/2 second lag, but it's not where near as bad as the Slingbox) And because it uses the MRS protocol it doesn't tie up the TiVo so you can watch something on the tablet even if it's located on a TiVo someone else is currently using.

Dan
Old 10-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #276
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
That is unfortunate but it's better the Mini appears well baked than half baked. I'm holding off on upgrading a S3 until the Mini appears.
your join date doesn't indicate a newbie...

Not sure then why you think a delay from Tivo means it wont be half baked?

:-)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #277
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post

Heh. This is true. A delay wouldn't necessarily guarantee the dynamic tuner thing will be fixed by launch (until we hear otherwise).
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #278
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Quality is OK, but the lag is really annoying. There is a good 5 second delay between what is actually playing on the TiVo and what you're seeing in the app. That makes instant replay basically useless. Because when you hit the IR button it takes a second to send the IR command, then it takes 6 seconds for you to catch up to where the TiVo actually was when the button was pressed and then it just jumps back to basically the same place you were when you pushed the button originally. So you have to get into the habit of always pressing it twice, and even then you still have the 5 second delay between pressing the button and seeing the results on screen. FF and RW are completely impossible to use because by the time you see the point you want the TiVo has already gone past it for 5 seconds at 3x. 30 second skip works OK, but again the lag can make it hard to get back to the start of a program if you over shoot. Not to mention you're tying up the TiVo, so if you have anyone else in the house they can't watch it.

The Stream is digital so it knows where you are in the program regardless of how much has been buffered. So when you tell it to IR it tells the TiVo to seek back (currentposition)-8 and the seek happens immediately. (there is a slight 1/2 second lag, but it's not where near as bad as the Slingbox) And because it uses the MRS protocol it doesn't tie up the TiVo so you can watch something on the tablet even if it's located on a TiVo someone else is currently using.

Dan
That is the lag locally?? On the Hava HD that was the lag when remotely viewing but it was much less when viewing from the LAN.

Anyway for me this isn't an issue since I don't normally rewind since it's something like the news in the background or a redskins game in the background. With the HavaHD if I used a PC, it can record the content as streaming so you can always back up if you want. Does the Sling allow you to record the content as streaming when using a PC.

I really don't have the option of waiting since I want to use my current FireHD for more things. If TiVo would announce a date for Android support for the Stream, and it was by Thanksgiving, then I would wait. But if it ends up being 2013 then there is really no point for me to wait. Since I can get some use from the SLingBox now. Worst case I can return the SlingBOx 350 withing sixty days and I would have to eat the cost of the two apps I need for the tablets and the phone. Or I sell the SlingBox350 if it's that bad and continue using my HAva HD for outside the home and the Stream inside.

There is no question though, if the Stream would have already had Android support, I would not even be considering Slingbox 350.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:50 AM   #279
Dan203
Super Moderator

The app itself does have it's own buffer, so you could use that. However the controls for it aren't very intuitive so it's not convenient. If you can't wait then try it and see for yourself. At least they lowered the price of the app to $15 so it's not quite as bad to get it working on all your devices. (I paid $30 for the iPad version last year)

Dan
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #280
aaronwt
HD Addict

I got the SLingbox 350 yesterday. The app for my cell and Kindle FireHD work very well. Unfortunately Amazon hasn't updated their tablet app so it seems the same as the cell phone app.

The PC app sucks though. I tried it with both Chrome and Internet explorer on several PCs and it always had sync issues after a few minutes of playback. The HAvaHD never had those issues on the PC even though it's bitrates were still around 10mb/s.(but MPEG2 and SD)

Another thing I didn't like about the Sling was that you could only stream to one device at a time, whether a PC or tablet or phone. With the Hava HD it could stream to one app or remote device and also stream to several PCs on the LAN concurrently.

The Sling350 IR is nice since I don't need to use a blaster attached to a wire and I like how a guide comes up to change the channel. Which works well on the TiVo. As long as you don't have another TiVo in the room since it uses remote code zero.

I would say overall the Slingbox 350 is nice. I just don't think it's really worth the $180 price. I only payed $65 for my HavaHD from Woot 3.5 years ago. That was a great deal.

I do wish the stream would have been available for Android devices. No doubt the Stream would work best for local Playback. The 350 does excel with remote playback though from a tablet or phone. And the HavaHD excells with playback on a PC remotely and locally since it uses it's own program instead of a web browser for playback like the Sling Box 350 does.

At least the 350 has a pass through for the inputs so I can still keep my HavaHD connected to the same TiVo with component and stereo cables.(Although mayby the HavaHD has this too? I haven't looked at the back of it it years)

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #281
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The Sling350 IR is nice since I don't need to use a blaster attached to a wire and I like how a guide comes up to change the channel. Which works well on the TiVo. As long as you don't have another TiVo in the room since it uses remote code zero.
Assuming the 350 uses the same remotes as the Slingbox Pro-HD, you can select a TiVo with alternate remote codes so you don't have that issue.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #282
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post

Very true. I'm hoping that this string of positive updates continues and whoever was responsible for the initial Premiere crappiness is not involved with planning now. The update this year has been excellent. Streaming from room to room between Premieres is a feature I use daily.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #283
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Assuming the 350 uses the same remotes as the Slingbox Pro-HD, you can select a TiVo with alternate remote codes so you don't have that issue.
thanks, I'll need to check into it. In the setup I selected a Premiere and that is what it came up with.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #284
rainwater

Quote:
thanks, I'll need to check into it. In the setup I selected a Premiere and that is what it came up with.
In the past, I've set it up as a TiVo Series3 which has listings for all the remote codes. The only difference is the missing 4 color buttons which I never need from my Slingbox anyways.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #285
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
In the past, I've set it up as a TiVo Series3 which has listings for all the remote codes. The only difference is the missing 4 color buttons which I never need from my Slingbox anyways.
Did it still have the Zoom button?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #286
herbman

Quote:
I use my series 3-era glo remote with my premiere every day. Aspect works as zoom.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #287
rainwater

Quote:
It has the "Aspect" button which I believe is the same.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #288
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

"Window" (Series 2, where it did nothing), "Aspect" (Series 3), and "Zoom" (Series 4) all send the same code.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #289
brentil

I'm actually more interested in waiting for "media extender" type updates for other devices to use a Stream with over the Mini now. The last TiVo Survey focused on what other devices we want to see Stream support on and the 3 major consoles were all options. I already have Xboxs on all my other TVs where I had wanted to put a Mini.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #290
Dan203
Super Moderator

If they do a Windows 8 app then it should be relatively easy to port it to Xbox. They're trying to standardize everything on the Metro UI and the same basic API.

Also I heard a rumor somewhere that Apple is working on allowing iOS apps to run on the AppleTV so that might be an option as well.

Dan
Old 11-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #291
mr_smits

Any more rumors about the Tivo Mini? I was hoping Margaret would have provided another nugget of information...
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #292
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Any more rumors about the Tivo Mini? I was hoping Margaret would have provided another nugget of information...
The latest tiny tidbit is from a new interview with Margret Schmidt, which brings us back to where we started... in that some people thought Tivo would wait to release the Mini until the tuner hijacking worked fully with 2-tuner boxes, but she confirms it's still intended to be an accessory for 4-tuner models (at least at first).

"Next up is TiVo Mini — connect it to a TV in another room in your house, and it can stream live TV and recordings from your 4-tuner TiVo Premiere DVR."

So no, nothing really new yet.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #293
jmpage2

If they don't have it out in the next week or two after the fall update rolls out it's unlikely they will release it this year.

Very tough to get excitement about a new product after the holiday season is in full swing.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #294
jjd_87

There is a new screen in the options on the 4 tuner units that refers you to this link. Spoiler: It mentions the mini!

http://www.tivo.com/help/wholehome
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #295
macery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
There is a new screen in the options on the 4 tuner units that refers you to this link. Spoiler: It mentions the mini!

http://www.tivo.com/help/wholehome
Nice catch! Except I hate the part:

NOTE: You can stream recordings from any 2-tuner Premiere series box, but you will be unable to set up your TiVo Mini without a 4-tuner TiVo DVR.

Time to buy a new TiVo lol
macery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #296
aaronwt
HD Addict

But it also says
Quote:
IMPORTANT! If you have any issues using your TiVo Mini or setting up a host DVR, please contact your Cable provider for support.
Which would imply that this is only for a cable company supplied TiVo Mini and Premiere.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #297
macery

True the wording is confusing. I assumed that line was more to say setting up the "host DVR" to get the channels you subscribe to. Hopefully we'll find out soon enough with the release of the mini
macery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #298
moyekj

Notice also they mention Pandora, Live365, YouTube apps, but not Netflix. Glad to see Pandora there but I'd definitely want Netflix too. Again may be taking the wording (or lack of) too literally and will have to wait until release to know for sure.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #299
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by macery View Post
Nice catch! Except I hate the part:

NOTE: You can stream recordings from any 2-tuner Premiere series box, but you will be unable to set up your TiVo Mini without a 4-tuner TiVo DVR.

Time to buy a new TiVo lol
That confirms the earlier postings about this. However we don't know for sure if this indeed will be the final web page upon release so could be subject to change. I still say they should at least give you the option of not taking any tuner for live TV when setting up the Mini, such that all other functionality minus live TV is available, which would be fine to a lot more prospective buyers than requiring a 4 tuner unit to be available. Seems silly, for example, that you could setup a Mini initially taking a tuner, and then go back to your 4 tuner unit and disable tuner sharing completely you effectively end up with what I just described anyway.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #300
waterchange

How does the Slingbox 350's picture quality compare to the Hava HD on your Kindle Fire on your local network? If you're not aware, the Vulkano android app will stream from your Hava HD.

Quote:
I got the SLingbox 350 yesterday. The app for my cell and Kindle FireHD work very well. Unfortunately Amazon hasn't updated their tablet app so it seems the same as the cell phone app.

The PC app sucks though. I tried it with both Chrome and Internet explorer on several PCs and it always had sync issues after a few minutes of playback. The HAvaHD never had those issues on the PC even though it's bitrates were still around 10mb/s.(but MPEG2 and SD)

Another thing I didn't like about the Sling was that you could only stream to one device at a time, whether a PC or tablet or phone. With the Hava HD it could stream to one app or remote device and also stream to several PCs on the LAN concurrently.

I would say overall the Slingbox 350 is nice. I just don't think it's really worth the $180 price. I only payed $65 for my HavaHD from Woot 3.5 years ago. That was a great deal.

I do wish the stream would have been available for Android devices. No doubt the Stream would work best for local Playback. The 350 does excel with remote playback though from a tablet or phone. And the HavaHD excells with playback on a PC remotely and locally since it uses it's own program instead of a web browser for playback like the Sling Box 350 does.

At least the 350 has a pass through for the inputs so I can still keep my HavaHD connected to the same TiVo with component and stereo cables.(Although mayby the HavaHD has this too? I haven't looked at the back of it it years)

waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote