TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
44Buck

TiVo PremiereXL OTA without subscription?

Is it possible to get HD OTA channels without paying a subscription fee. I would like to watch HD OTA channels thru my projector & I'm not looking to record anything or use any other special functions.

Thanks
44Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
44Buck

Also, how to get past the setup function

to get to the OTA channels? I get stuck at the internet connection which I do not have.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
44Buck

TiVo phone adapter

I do have access to a dial-up connection but am wondering if I need a tivo phone adapter for that.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Buck View Post
I do have access to a dial-up connection but am wondering if I need a tivo phone adapter for that.
The Premiere only supports broadband internet (via Ethernet or Tivo USB adapter) unless you have their proprietary dial-up adapter.

A new Premiere will give you about a week trial period to set it up and try it without service. If you are using it for OTA use, after that it will only function like a dumb tuner. You can change channels, but there will be no new guide information, you cannot rewind, pause, etc. and you cannot record anything.

Quote:
I would like to watch HD OTA channels thru my projector & I'm not looking to record anything or use any other special functions.
If all you want is to view HD OTA TV on a projector, you'd be better off looking for a stand-alone tuner with HD output. Something like this.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
44Buck

Thank you

I've been looking for a stand alone tuner for weeks but they all seem to be discontinued. I followed your link & the model listed was out of stock. Fortunately they have a higher end model (PHD-8VX $186) that is available & I just ordered it. I had just purchased the TiVo Premiere from amazon but didn't realize all the hoops you had to go through just to use it as an OTA receiver. I will now be sending it back & hope my long, extensive search for a standalone HD tuner is over.

Thank you so much for leading me in the right direction.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
S3-2501

Quote:
I'm glad you seem to have found what you've been looking for. Stand alone tuners are hard to come by now that every TV sold has a tuner built-in. I had good luck many years ago with an earlier generation box that I bought from epvision back before I got my first Tivo, so hopefully your experience with them will be a positive one as well.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Wouldn't a digital TV antenna converter box be cheaper?
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Wouldn't a digital TV antenna converter box be cheaper?
It would be cheaper, but it would only output SD composite video and stereo sound.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
tedrik

Quote:
I've been looking for a stand alone tuner for weeks but they all seem to be discontinued. I followed your link & the model listed was out of stock. Fortunately they have a higher end model (PHD-8VX $186) that is available & I just ordered it. I had just purchased the TiVo Premiere from amazon but didn't realize all the hoops you had to go through just to use it as an OTA receiver. I will now be sending it back & hope my long, extensive search for a standalone HD tuner is over.

I wish i had waited-purchased 2 premiers in the last 2 weeks. The receiver that you ordered for $186.00 is the guide permanent (free) without a subscription? I didn't see any info about having a fee-I guess that's your point (reason for the tuner vs. TIVO) I still have time to return the TIVO,s-just wondering what benefits I would be losing. Why wouldn't everyone be buying those digital receivers instead of a TIVO!?

Ahh- I see that only the PHD-VRX for $229.95 performs similar to the TIVO-and I don't see any requirement for a monthly fee making it seem like a good alternative to a TIVO- I could use it on one of our HDTV's, that has no internal tuner(Only use it for blu-ray and streaming) (HD Monitor). Glad I stumbled onto this thread!

Last edited by tedrik : 08-18-2012 at 01:12 AM.
tedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Mostly for its DVR capabilities, amongst a few other features like Netflix, etc.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #11
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrik View Post
is the guide permanent (free) without a subscription?
The ATSC standard used for broadcasting digital TV in the US supports the inclusion of program information in the broadcast data. Stand-alone tuners, tuners built into TVs and digital converter boxes should all support displaying this data. Not all stations broadcast their guide data, and those who do may only broadcast information for the next few hours of programming. Since the data (if available) is in the broadcast signal, there is no charge for it.

The DTV Pal converter box had the ability to present the available broadcast guide data in a way that roughly mimics the way a Tivo presents it, but most tuners/receivers will just display what is on at the time if you press the appropriate button on the remote.

Tivo lacks the ability to display the broadcast guide data, and requires the downloaded data from Tribune that you only get with a paid Tivo subscription.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
The Premiere only supports broadband internet (via Ethernet or Tivo USB adapter) unless you have their proprietary dial-up adapter.
There are other devices that will simulate a network connection over a dial-up connection, such as:
3COM 3C886A OfficeConnect 56K LAN Modem (eBay)
Motorola Netopia 3366C-ENT 4-Port 10/100 Wired Router (eBay)
I've never actually tried to use a 3366C with a TiVo, but I suspect it would be more difficult to set up than the 3C886A. Using either of these would surely be an act of desperation by someone too far away from civilization to get either DSL or cable Internet. I think both units are no longer produced.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
44Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrik View Post
I wish i had waited-purchased 2 premiers in the last 2 weeks. The receiver that you ordered for $186.00 is the guide permanent (free) without a subscription? I didn't see any info about having a fee-I guess that's your point (reason for the tuner vs. TIVO) I still have time to return the TIVO,s-just wondering what benefits I would be losing. Why wouldn't everyone be buying those digital receivers instead of a TIVO!?

Ahh- I see that only the PHD-VRX for $229.95 performs similar to the TIVO-and I don't see any requirement for a monthly fee making it seem like a good alternative to a TIVO- I could use it on one of our HDTV's, that has no internal tuner(Only use it for blu-ray and streaming) (HD Monitor). Glad I stumbled onto this thread!
Yes..I ordered the $186 receiver because I do not need recording capabilities, even though I realize for another $40 the PHD-VRX does record. Both are much better deals than going thru TiVo.

Very hard to find stand alone tuners these days...thanks to the poster who lead me in the right direction.