TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
skierrob

Channel lockouts

I have a simple yet frustrating problem with a new Tivo Premiere.

I use both Verizon FIOS and an off-the-air antenna. My thought was this way, for local channels, my family doesn't have to remember to tune to channel 502 for channel 2, or channel 505 for channel 5 -- they can just use the off the air antenna to go to channel 2.1 or channel 5.1.

So I've edited my channel list to remove the SD channels 2, 4, 5, 7, etc. and also the FIOS HD channels 502, 504, 505, etc. That way I just see 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 5.2, etc. in the guide.

Everything is great in the guide. Only the channels I want to appear actually appear.

But then a family member decides to watch channel 7 (ABC) for example. They don't go to the guide. They don't type "7-1". They type "7".

And the TIVO dutifully goes to an SD poor picture quality channel that shouldn't be tuned.

With Dish Network, I was able to "lock out" these standard def versions of the channel. And if someone typed "7", for instance, the Dish DVR would go to channel 7-1 instead of channel 7.

Please, someone, tell me there is a similar option for Tivo so I don't go crazy with my family asking me why the picture is so bad when they tune to channel 7 standard def instead of channel 7-1 high def!

Thanks,
Robert
skierrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #2

Had a similar problem with my dad. Some folks just won't use the guide. Nothing you can do but just breathe.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierrob View Post
I have a simple yet frustrating problem with a new Tivo Premiere.

I use both Verizon FIOS and an off-the-air antenna. My thought was this way, for local channels, my family doesn't have to remember to tune to channel 502 for channel 2, or channel 505 for channel 5 -- they can just use the off the air antenna to go to channel 2.1 or channel 5.1.

So I've edited my channel list to remove the SD channels 2, 4, 5, 7, etc. and also the FIOS HD channels 502, 504, 505, etc. That way I just see 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 5.2, etc. in the guide.

Everything is great in the guide. Only the channels I want to appear actually appear.

But then a family member decides to watch channel 7 (ABC) for example. They don't go to the guide. They don't type "7-1". They type "7".

And the TIVO dutifully goes to an SD poor picture quality channel that shouldn't be tuned.

With Dish Network, I was able to "lock out" these standard def versions of the channel. And if someone typed "7", for instance, the Dish DVR would go to channel 7-1 instead of channel 7.

Please, someone, tell me there is a similar option for Tivo so I don't go crazy with my family asking me why the picture is so bad when they tune to channel 7 standard def instead of channel 7-1 high def!

Thanks,
Robert
Here's your options:

1. Live with it
2. Replace the Premiere with an P4 or XL4 (no analog tuners)
3. Get rid of your family
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
2. Replace the Premiere with an P4 or XL4 (no analog tuners)
He is not using analog channels. He would lose all OTA channels, so no 2.1, 4.1, etc. Problem solved.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
lrhorer

There is an exceedingly simple solution. Don't use the guide, period. It's a dumb idea and it wastes time and effort. The NPL does not have any "channels". I haven't used a guide in 12 years, nor have I ever changed a channel since getting a TiVo (except for one utterly horrible period of 9 months when I had to deal with a POS Scientific Atlanta DVR). I could not tell you on what channel any particular program or network might appear, and I couldn't care less. I let the TiVo worry with all that crap.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
There is an exceedingly simple solution. Don't use the guide, period. It's a dumb idea and it wastes time and effort. The NPL does not have any "channels". I haven't used a guide in 12 years, nor have I ever changed a channel since getting a TiVo (except for one utterly horrible period of 9 months when I had to deal with a POS Scientific Atlanta DVR). I could not tell you on what channel any particular program or network might appear, and I couldn't care less. I let the TiVo worry with all that crap.
they don't use the guide. It's time to teach them the Fios numbers. if it has cable cards it should be a digital signal on the local not analog.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Apparently, like Ken Jennings, lhrorer "welcomes our new computer overlords". Only Ken Jennings was joking.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
they don't use the guide. It's time to teach them the Fios numbers. if it has cable cards it should be a digital signal on the local not analog.
They don't need the FIOS numbers. The NPL does not have numbers. Turn on the TV, go to the the NPL, select a recording, and press <play> twice. Repeat until it is time to go to bed.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Apparently, like Ken Jennings, lhrorer "welcomes our new computer overlords". Only Ken Jennings was joking.
It's not an overlord. It is a servant; one who is faithful, dilligent, quiet, tireless, and extremely efficient. It worries about nonsense such as channel numbers, schedules, and uninteresting broadcast garbage so I don't have to. It selects the various programs it knows I will like and records them - literally by the thousands - and presents them to me to watch whenever I feel like it, not on some idiot network executive's time table. It eliminates almost all of the mountains of useless crap so I don't even have to be aware it exists, let alone slog through hours and hours of mind numbing tables of show schedules, without my so much as lifting a finger.

To quote Mr. Spock: "Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them." My TiVos serve me, not the other way around.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-22-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
skierrob

So.... I guess you don't enjoy watching a live baseball game, like my family does? Or anything else "live" on TV?

DVR'd shows are great for some things ... but why would I want to DVR a sports show and then watch it "late" when I already know the score from internet news?

Or do you suggest my family just ignores news websites, sports sites, etc. until we have watched the Tivo'd broadcast?

Instead of providing me with a possible solution, all you've done is ridicule my family's choice of HOW we like to watch TV.

Robert
skierrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
dwit

Quote:
So.... I guess you don't enjoy watching a live baseball game, like my family does? Or anything else "live" on TV?

DVR'd shows are great for some things ... but why would I want to DVR a sports show and then watch it "late" when I already know the score from internet news?

Or do you suggest my family just ignores news websites, sports sites, etc. until we have watched the Tivo'd broadcast?

Instead of providing me with a possible solution, all you've done is ridicule my family's choice of HOW we like to watch TV.

Robert
You're new here(?), or just have not spent much time reading here.

A little advice: Don't bother.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
It's not an overlord. It is a servant; one who is faithful, dilligent, quiet, tireless, and extremely efficient. It worries about nonsense such as channel numbers, schedules, and uninteresting broadcast garbage so I don't have to. It selects the various programs it knows I will like and records them - literally by the thousands - and presents them to me to watch whenever I feel like it, not on some idiot network executive's time table. It eliminates almost all of the mountains of useless crap so I don't even have to be aware it exists, let alone slog through hours and hours of mind numbing tables of show schedules, without my so much as lifting a finger.

To quote Mr. Spock: "Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them." My TiVos serve me, not the other way around.
I wonder if Klaatu thought that at some point.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
And there's your answer.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
It's not an overlord. It is a servant; one who is faithful, dilligent, quiet, tireless, and extremely efficient. It worries about nonsense such as channel numbers, schedules, and uninteresting broadcast garbage so I don't have to.
Unless you have a bunch of things recording at the same time.
Unless you need to add padding to shows (which is true for a LOT of shows).
Unless ....

I am a huge TiVo fan, but it's really just a "pretty good first guess" at recording stuff, since I end up going through and culling out things, manually deleting reruns, recording one time specials, etc..

If I had 10 tuners, to add padding on EVERYTHING, it would be less of an issue.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Nope. It is a waste of time to no advantage whatsoever. 'Haven't watched a live program in 12 years, with the exception of a few news programs, especially weather. Very few of the programs I watch are less than a week old. Some are more than a year.

Quote:
A better question is, "Why would you spend 90 minutes watching something that is of no value if you know two simple numbers less than 100?" If the only enjoyment comes from knowing those two numbers, why not just go get those two numbers and spend the rest of your time doing something that is enjoyable? If you don't want to know the numbers, don't look them up.

Certainly I consider doing almost anything I would not wish to do a second time to be a waste of time, but all that is really beside the point, which point I am afraid you have quite missed.

Quote:
Sure, why not? I certainly would have no problems doing so.

As I said above, however, you have totally missed the point, and no offense but you have failed to think through the implications of my statements and indeed of owning a TiVo at all. Even if you are so obsessed with watching a game while it is being broadcast that you cannot wait a few hours (until possibly a much more convenient time), will it cause you any grief to start watching it from the very beginning, but 30 seconds after it starts? I trust there will not be any spoiler information on the internet 30 seconds into the game. Better yet, why not wait until about 34 minutes after it starts so you can fast forward through all the commercials and wind up watching the end of the game at almost the very same moment it is ending at the stadium? Even if for some bizarre reason you feel you absolutely must sit through every time out and every commercial, there is still no reason the TiVo should not change the channel for you or your father, and have the game channel on screen waiting for you to sit down and watch the game. That way, at the very least, if you are late or an emergency phone call comes in, you can still watch the game in its entirety.

The bottom line is, even if for some unfathomable reason you get some sort of thrill out of thinking something you are watching is "live", there still is no reason to use the guide or to spend any time trying to memorize channel numbers or schedules. If the TiVo has been effectively programmed, then whether you are sitting there watching it or not, then if you want to see the game, the TiVo will tune to it and record it without you having to so much as lift the remote.

Quote:
Wasting time is wasting time, no matter how one looks at it. If you want to waste your time, rather than stop to think for a moment what you are doing, it is your choice. At the end of your life, I seriously do not believe you would not wish to have back the many hundreds of hours spent searching through a guide and watching commercials - no matter whether they aired during a sporting event or not.

And just what is so personal about how you watch TV, as opposed to what you watch, that should make it inappropriate fare for comment? The simple fact is by overcoming your prejudice, abandoning bad habits, and making good use of both the the thing in front of your eyes and especially the one behind them, you can completely forget about anything like channel numbers or guides, whether you want to watch "live" TV or not.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-22-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And there's your answer.
The Jeoppardy question is, "Why do you (or anyone)?"

And yes, I brush my teeth three or more times daily, and I use toilet paper, and I take time to compliment my coworkers on their performance, and I have taken a few moments, over a decade ago, to think about how my purchase can save me literally years of wasted time by not doing things that serve absolutely no purpose, and in fact result in a poorer outcome for the things that do. Is there some reason I should not disdain a failure to do any of these things?

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-22-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Unless you have a bunch of things recording at the same time.
Well, no more than 8. How is that an "unless"?

Quote:
Unless you need to add padding to shows (which is true for a LOT of shows).
I have the TiVos pad all shows by two minutes on each end. Again, how is that an "unless"? (Yes, it can cause collisions, of course.)

Quote:
I am a huge TiVo fan, but it's really just a "pretty good first guess" at recording stuff
Yes, but doing it manually is a "lousy first guess", and one that takes up a huge amount of time to boot.

Quote:
since I end up going through and culling out things
That's a little vague. What "things"?

Quote:
manually deleting reruns
Well, sometimes. Usually I just let the TiVo's deleting routines take care of it.

Quote:
recording one time specials, etc..
Very, very rarely. I almost always let the TiVos handle such things. They do a far better job than I ever could.

Quote:
If I had 10 tuners, to add padding on EVERYTHING, it would be less of an issue.
Although I have 8, it is not terribly common that more than three at a time are actively recording. Even at that, there is more than 10X more content on the TiVos than I could ever watch.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
Yes, but doing it manually is a "lousy first guess", and one that takes up a huge amount of time to boot.

That's a little vague. What "things"?

Well, sometimes. Usually I just let the TiVo's deleting routines take care of it.

Very, very rarely. I almost always let the TiVos handle such things. They do a far better job than I ever could.

Although I have 8, it is not terribly common that more than three at a time are actively recording. Even at that, there is more than 10X more content on the TiVos than I could ever watch.

No, I mean that I let Tivo fill up the To Do list as a "first guess", and end up tweaking it a lot.

I DON'T want Tivo deleting anything.. but because it (unfortunately rightfully) spazzes when you have too much stuff keep until I delete, I'm just careful and *rarely* lose programs.. (I have most but not all HD channels disabled so an autorecording wishlist doesn't catch an HD program and wipe out my recordings -- and this is bad because obviously if you delete a soon to do list item, then ANOTHER item will take its place, sometimes a HD recording.

They're "unlesses", because you apparently have WAY more tuners than I or most people have, that's why they're unlesses *to me*.

"Things" like Daily show reruns (yes I know about the 'tupper method', and their guide data is actually correct more often nowadays.. but for a few shows I have 'new and reruns', and I have to clean up if I've seen the episode before, so I can record something I HAVEN'T seen instead).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote