TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
tiams

Perception S1E1 Pilot OAD 7/9/12

New series starting on TNT. Stars Eric McCormack and Rachel Leigh Cook. Seems to be a procedural with a crazy professor and an FBI agent. I'm going to check it out.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Idearat

Thanks for the reminder.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
secondclaw

The whole concept seems like a gimmick ... I think its just a hybrid of many other shows that came before - namely a cross between Monk and The Mentalist. Maybe will watch one more episode - just in case.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The premise seemed kind of Monk-like, but instead of being cute-crazy, he's scary-crazy. If they can actually pull it off without making schizophrenia seem adorable, this could be an interesting show.

Since they never showed the ex interacting with anybody else, I assumed her status was supposed to be ambiguous. I was a little surprised when they had the reveal at the end.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
secondclaw

I figured it out by her second meeting with him - in his office. I just thought they'd stretch it out a while too.

It certainly could be interesting - if he's more than Monk in disguise, and I have a feeling there is still plenty of backstory on him. I just wonder if he has the same 'end goal' like Monk (who killed Trudie?) and Mentalist (RJ) ... actually hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Since they never showed the ex interacting with anybody else, I assumed her status was supposed to be ambiguous. I was a little surprised when they had the reveal at the end.

secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I wasn't thrilled. The mysteries were all pretty straightforward. I knew he was imagining the psychiatrist early on... I wonder what her story will be? Obviously he knew her for real. And I knew they were poisoning the wife as soon as I saw the tech give the husband the bag of pills. The lead (male) is interesting. The female lead (FBI agent) doesn't seem believable to me. Hm. First Newsroom and now this show. Maybe it's just me.

I might give it another try or two but definitely on the bubble for me.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Blech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Yeah, this didn't work for me. Fell asleep about halfway through.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Idearat

I tuned it since Eric McCormack was in it. I didn't see it as a new Monk, more a mish-mash of other shows including Numb3rs, the short-lived Raines (starring Jeff Goldblum) and a British show or two where there was a psychologist helping solve crimes. The friend who's an FBI agent pulling him in on cases also seems formulaic. (Castle, Mentalist)

I'll give it a few viewings, mainly since it's summer when there's slim pickings and it doesn't conflict with anything.

Stimulus Package girl was fun. I was happy to see his initial impression was the correct one. I actually had the same impression when she asked him out for a latte.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Beryl

Wanted to like it because the star is nice eye-candy. I didn't.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #11
Craigbob

Kinda reminded me of Numb3rs crossed with Monk, I'll keep it for now since my pickings are slim.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

For the first time since I can remember, I stopped watching about halfway through and immediately canceled my season pass. The show just shows no promise at all and seems extremely derivative.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
For the first time since I can remember, I stopped watching about halfway through and immediately canceled my season pass. The show just shows no promise at all and seems extremely derivative.
That was pretty much my reaction. In addition to Psych, Monk, The Mentalist, I would include Lie to ME, and the movie Beautiful Mind, with a little bit of Numb3rs thrown in. The big reveal about the psychiatrist was obvious to me very quickly. Little suspense, and a retread of a genre that is already a retread. If the characters are compelling, fine, but at least in this first episode, they weren't. I'll give it another, but it the SP is definitely on the bubble.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
sharkster

I also tuned in because of Eric McCormack. I found it compelling. However, I started watching it kind of late so I think I'm going to watch again this afternoon. There seemed to be enough to be interesting.

I never watched the other shows mentioned, so maybe that's why this one still looks interesting to me.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
mcdougll
Occasionally Lucid

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the professor seems entirely different during his lectures then he does the rest of the time? How can someone with a disability like schizophrenia that has such profound impacts on his personal life (unable to handle crowds, believes 'big brother' is watching) turn around and be so charismatic & confident while lecturing?

Or is it just me?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

That's actually quite plausible to me. Lecturing is a highly routine activity...he's no doubt given those same lectures many times, and it is no doubt a very controlled, predictable experience for him.

I know that I do better lecturing than I do in conversation. And I'm not crazy.

No, really, I'm not!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That's actually quite plausible to me. Lecturing is a highly routine activity...he's no doubt given those same lectures many times, and it is no doubt a very controlled, predictable experience for him.

I know that I do better lecturing than I do in conversation. And I'm not crazy.

No, really, I'm not!
I don't know schizophrenia, but some of the symptoms he has are also present for Autism, and those types can often function very well in highly structured environments like a classroom. At least a college one. Not so sure about a classroom full or unruly children!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I don't know schizophrenia, but some of the symptoms he has are also present for Autism, and those types can often function very well in highly structured environments like a classroom. At least a college one. Not so sure about a classroom full or unruly children!
Yes, I taught college. Which may partially explain why I'm not in prison.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Finally watched the rest of the pilot episode and the second episode. I think I'll keep watching, if just for the interesting neurological conditions that keep popping up. Rachel Leigh Cook is appealing, although unbelievable as an FBI agent. And I've discovered that I've missed seeing Kelly Rowan after The O.C. ended.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
Fahtrim

seemed stupid and boring, I stopped after she jumped from the fire escape, blech
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Finally watched the rest of the pilot episode and the second episode. I think I'll keep watching, if just for the interesting neurological conditions that keep popping up. Rachel Leigh Cook is appealing, although unbelievable as an FBI agent. And I've discovered that I've missed seeing Kelly Rowan after The O.C. ended.
Between Royal Pains, and Perception, it is now twice in one week that "face blindness" was the plot point. Is this something newly discovered, and writers are jumping to use it?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #22
DouglasPHill

Weird but many members of my family liked it. (We never like the same shows) Reminds me a lot of Castle, in that every 5 minutes there's a new twist and the assumed perp switches to the next character. I love the fact that initially its hard to tell if a character he meets is real. Loved the girl in his office and him running out to find out if she was real or not.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #23
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Still watching. Neurological and psychiatric syndromes have always fascinated me. Yes, I know this is TV drama, which means stuff gets exaggerated to the point of absurdity -- but it's still fascinating.

But I really don't want to see a romantic relationship between the two leads. Works much better as a mentor-disciple relationship. (Almost said mentor-padawan. Heh.)
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
Craigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Between Royal Pains, and Perception, it is now twice in one week that "face blindness" was the plot point. Is this something newly discovered, and writers are jumping to use it?
I noticed that also. Interesting coincidence? Or there may have been a recent report about it. If house were still on and used it ....
Old 08-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I've continued to watch this show, even though Rachael Leigh Cook continues to confirm that she was badly miscast as the FBI agent. I've enjoyed Eric McCormack's work and having Kelly Rowan around occasionally.

TNT has renewed it for a second season.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #26
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
I've continued to watch this show, even though Rachael Leigh Cook continues to confirm that she was badly miscast as the FBI agent. I've enjoyed Eric McCormack's work and having Kelly Rowan around occasionally.

TNT has renewed it for a second season.
I've still only seen this episode and have let the next 5 pile up but have to agree with you - she just doesn't come across as an FBI agent. I guess she looks to young or too soft or just not serious enough.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #27
ElJay

She is miscast but her expressive face is so cute that I don't care.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote