TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
pmyers

Gold Rush Alaska season 2 thread

I know this show isn't going to get enough attention to warrant an episode specific thread, so here we go:

I watched all 3 hours of new episodes (recap of last season, some off season special, and then the premier).

Can't believe that he didn't make a lease payment in the offseason so that allowed the snakey new owner to not have to honor the lease.

How p*ssed would you be that you did all that work last season and it FINALLY started to pay off, only to be forced to packup and leave.

I wonder where they are going to end up (not to mention they are already 1 week behind)
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
pmyers

quoting from the other thread that was going:
Quote:
Completely. So much so that it was distracting. There is no way in he77 that Discovery Channel would fund a huge production of this highly rated show without 100% guarantee that there would be a show. They would not leave it up to some hokey miner to ensure that they had a mine to dig and a story to tape. I'm certain the producers knew all of this from the beginning, now they're just flowering up the story for us stooges that watch it.
I agree that something is fishy. At first I was thinking the whole Klondike thing was a red herring, but then they got kicked out of the Alaska claim and are now back to Klondike.

I assume this must have been known ahead of time and a Klondike claim was already worked out. I also guess that the Hoffman's recieved a buyout offer to work the Alaska claim and all of that was just BS.

that said....I still love this show!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
DanB

well, its "reality" TV, not "real" TV

Heck, I thought they had already sold the airport last season in order to raise the capital. Wonder why he borrowed money from his estranged sister last season instead of using their remaining assets first.

I thought it was extremely stupid during the equipment auction to let $5k come between them, the D9 dozer, and being able to work their claim. Worrying over the pennies to get to the dollars.

If there's a big gold rush up in the klondike, I dont think they could just come waddling in and get a claim to mine (except for the TV show's muscle).

Although the name of the show changed, I could see them working the claim with Dakota Fred.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
DJK23
Town Tamer

This show is breaking the record for the most a-holes gathered in one place.
DJK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I thought it was extremely stupid during the equipment auction to let $5k come between them, the D9 dozer, and being able to work their claim. Worrying over the pennies to get to the dollars.
Well, that's the beauty of an auction. You don't know whether another $5k is all it would have taken to get the dozer. Suppose the other bidder then put it another bid. At what point would you draw the line? The only way to get out of an auction in one piece is to set a spending limit and stick to it.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
jeepair

They were over the cost of the D9 dozer already IIRC. I think it was smart to not go overboard and beyond your budget. I don't see how it could make a difference as they are both damn good dozers. Now it if was a D3 vs D9 then yes.

Wonder if they got to keep the gold they mined?
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
Wonder if they got to keep the gold they mined?
They probably did. Although, Fred could probably go after them for it if they had no legal right to be mining there.

I'm surprised they didn't try to fill in the hole and knock down all their buildings before they left.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
markb

So, Dakota Fred buys the claim, decides to revoke the lease, and insists on waiting to inform the lessees until they've arrived at the claim and started mining? Yeah right, this isn't contrived.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
MarkofT

Well the Hoffman team's lack of intelligence wasn't showing much this ep. But the Editor's lack of truthfulness certainly was. When they pulled into the Klondike town at the start of the show, they all had the trucks and campers from last year. Then later they were back into the new Fords. The last season trucks made another appearance when they headed out for the new claim, but were gone again when they arrived.

And that Junior miner was quite pissed off at Grandpa.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Bob Coxner

The 16 year old kid knows more about mining than the entire Hoffman crew.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
DanB

I hope the Hoffmans negotiated better contracts with Discovery than they did for the Porcupine lease -- looks like they may be getting replaced.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
pmyers

Only problem now is that we have to split time between both camps.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think the Hoffman bunch is going to end up back a Porcupine Creek working for/with the guy who bought the claim.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
I think the Hoffman bunch is going to end up back a Porcupine Creek working for/with the guy who bought the claim.
I don't think so, he has his own crew, and he doesn't like the Hoffman's why would he ever want them back on his property?
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Only problem now is that we have to split time between both camps.
Actually really it's 3 camps with the grandson/grandpa Big Nugget claim.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
DanB

Hmm, to me Jack leaving would be a good thing, not a bad thing.

More kids? Are one of these guys a single dad? I thought they learned in season one not to bring family.

Looks like the choice to not outbid for the D9 dozer might be an issue. Wonder if they can sue the guy that sold them the D8, saying it was just as good for permafrost

Kind of surprised Dakota Fred didnt have his equipment all ready to go. Maybe the claim purchase was a last minute deal.

What happened to Jack's beloved 400 shovel?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
pmyers

I think Dakota Fred is digging in for the long haul so a couple of weeks of not mining means nothing to him.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #18
Zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK23 View Post
This show is breaking the record for the most a-holes gathered in one place.
Na, that was the show with the wood cutters and their chain saws and those machines that throw cable down a mountain!
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
pmyers

btw Jack comes across (to me) as an old cantankerous pr*ck!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
jack3835

Really like this show, but not necessairly the new compatetion angle they seem to be setting up between the Hoffmans, Dakota Fred, and the grandson.

Too much of an Ax Men feel right now.
jack3835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #21
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3835 View Post
Really like this show, but not necessairly the new compatetion angle they seem to be setting up between the Hoffmans, Dakota Fred, and the grandson.

Too much of an Ax Men feel right now.
yeah...I agree. I can understand the competition/drama between the Dakotas and Hoffmans but everything related to the grandson seems to be contrived and made up.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #22
Gregor

This show is a good example of how to turn a large fortune into a small one.

"I'm going to spend a s***load of money to mine on a piece of land the owner (who I just met) says is a really good spot"

Guess I like trainwrecks because I keep watching.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
vertigo235

It's basically gambling.

Which I don't understand my self.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #24
GDG76
Hide your kids/wife

There is no gambling. This is all set up as much as any scripted drama.

The Hoffman crew is making more money from the show than the gold so they are most likely just playing with house money.

They set up the whole angle of them vs Dakota Fred last year and this is the logical continuation. Discovery would have covered the missing lease payment if they wanted the Hoffmans at Porcupine (or just bought the whole damn claim). In fact, I doubt there even was a missing lease payment. It's all a big show to inject some sizzle into a second season that would be terminally boring as a rehash of the Hoffmans at Porcupine.
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #25
DanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76 View Post
There is no gambling. This is all set up as much as any scripted drama.

The Hoffman crew is making more money from the show than the gold so they are most likely just playing with house money.

They set up the whole angle of them vs Dakota Fred last year and this is the logical continuation. Discovery would have covered the missing lease payment if they wanted the Hoffmans at Porcupine (or just bought the whole damn claim). In fact, I doubt there even was a missing lease payment. It's all a big show to inject some sizzle into a second season that would be terminally boring as a rehash of the Hoffmans at Porcupine.
shhhhh
Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #26
Hank
AC•FTW

Yeah, the wikipedia page on the series implies that it's all scripted and planned.

Try my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #27
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76 View Post
... In fact, I doubt there even was a missing lease payment. It's all a big show to inject some sizzle into a second season that would be terminally boring as a rehash of the Hoffmans at Porcupine.
I could see a missed lease payment seeing as how the Hoffmans thought they had that other mine that fell through because of water permits....

but your probably right.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
GDG76
Hide your kids/wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I could see a missed lease payment seeing as how the Hoffmans thought they had that other mine that fell through because of water permits....

but your probably right.
It doesn't ring true to me because I just don't see them giving it up that easily when they are so close to what they've been working for. If you miss a rent payment on an apartment, it's not like they can just kick you out that day. There had to have been some legal action they could take if they wanted to..

Also, why let them come onto the claim at all? If I owned it, I would move all of their gear off and leave a "No Trespassing" sign or something like that.
GDG76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
markb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Yeah, the wikipedia page on the series implies that it's all scripted and planned.
Actually, the wikipedia does a lot more than imply. It just comes out and says it. But I checked two of the three references (the third was a radio show, which I didn't have the patience to listen to). Here are the references to scripting:

http://chilkatvalleynews.com/story.a...rtune--or-fame

Quote:
Some apparent scripting was evidenced at Saturday’s party when residents were asked on camera what they thought of a green crew arriving in Alaska to make it in gold mining.

When the question was put to borough facilities director Brad Maynard, he was enthusiastic. "I said, ‘I think it’s great.’ I kind of came up here on a pig in a poke. A lot of people came up here like that," Maynard recounted.

Crew members then told Maynard that’s not what they wanted to hear and the interview was re-shot. "So I told them, ‘I think their chances at success are miserable and I think they’ll fail,’" Maynard said. "They had their own lines they wanted me to say… They pretty much had it scripted."
He's not one of the central cast, so I don't think that counts. And I'm not sure that really qualifies as scripting, anyway. (It certainly wouldn't fly if this was a documentary, but this is reality TV.)

http://www.chilkatvalleynews.com/sto...d-to-the-Yukon

Quote:
Dorsey said the show was scripted, but that he and others in the crew under Todd didn’t get to see the script. He said it became obvious to him early on that he was to be the show’s scapegoat.
Not really scripting either, IMO. Just par for the course in reality TV.

Don't get me wrong. I think this show is ridiculously contrived.. just not scripted.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #30
Hank
AC•FTW

Sure, not a real "script," per se, but the producers and directors already know in advance the fictional story they want to tell, and manipulate everyone and everything to achieve that result. That might not fall under your definition of "scripted", but for all intents and purposes, it is scripted and not "reality".

Try my new
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote