TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Cainebj

The Closer - "Last Word" OAD 08/13/12 - Series Finale

This was a great episode
- kindof showed off the best of what The Closer is...

As far as a series finale goes it felt completely open ended - which makes sense given the continuation of Major Crimes.

That Rusty kid needs his own series
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
That Rusty kid needs his own series
He has one.

(He's a regular on Major Crimes, believe it or not.)
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I loved the purse full of ring dings.
They wrapped up Gabriel's departure very well. I hope They soften up Captain Rader's character a bit. Mary Mcdonnel is a terrific actress, but her character just makes my skin crawl.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Seemed awfully abrupt to me. Still, I enjoyed it. I am having a hard time understanding why they are "ending" The Closer when they have another series with almost all of the same characters and a similar premise in Major Crimes. I guess I'll have to watch and see...
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

The Closer is about Brenda.
I completely understand doing a new show instead of calling it the Closer without Brenda.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
TampaThunder

Gonna miss Brenda Leigh. One of the most consistent characters on TV. And I guess with her new position she'll still be able to show up on Major Crimes every now and then.
TampaThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
flikhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
He has one.

Does this mean he won't be on 2.5 Men anymore? Glad he jumped that ship when given the chance.
flikhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Idearat

I've always enjoyed the show but thought the finale was only so-so. The scene in Brenda's kitchen was telegraphed too much: In the same conversation with Fritz about going after Stroh again he tosses out casually that he'll be in Washington overnight. Then the day Fritz is gone Brenda attacks Stroh and has the DA put a scare into him with the DNA evidence. Stroh also mentions he knows about her mother dying to let us know he's keeping tabs on her. She even brings the "eye witness" home with her, just to give him an added incentive to come to her house.
We've already seen her take on an attacker in her own home, so that wasn't new. Considering getting a confession is her forté, I would have liked to see her get a confession in this case rather than shoot the guy. When he's bleeding out on the floor he says he'll tell all, but I'm not sure that counts as a confession.

I liked the scene where the guys gave her the new bag. I remembered when the series started and there was so much friction between them and her at the beginning of the show and enjoyed watching them develop respect for each other over time. Oh, and since the show is set on the west coast, those are Ding Dongs, not Ring Dings.

Hopefully Major Crimes will work out. I dislike Raydor as much as I like Brenda, so it might be up to the rest of the cast to carry the show.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
He has one.

I didn't know he was a regular so I'm happy to hear that.
I didn't mention the continuance of his storyline over there because this isn't a thread about Major Crimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
Considering getting a confession is her forté, I would have liked to see her get a confession in this case...
I'm glad they went another route - I think it demonstrated that she was at the end of her rope and in terms of a character arc they had to give some reason to leave - if she just got a confession - where would they go with that? Particularly during the interview when he kept saying that's another lie... It felt as though they were showing her NOT able to get a confession...

Quote:
I dislike Raydor as much as I like Brenda, so it might be up to the rest of the cast to carry the show.
I have found it interesting that I dislike Raydor as much as I LIKE Mary McDonnell I'm actually curious to see where they are going to take us with Raydor.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
AlphaDelta

Strange that Brenda took a new job in LA. Thought after the death of her mother she'd be going back to Atlanta to spend as much time as she could with her dad.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
swinca
Menace to society

I loved it when she kicked dude's ass in the elevator! I thought it was a good ending for the show.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
GAViewer

Quote:
Considering getting a confession is her forté, I would have liked to see her get a confession in this case rather than shoot the guy. When he's bleeding out on the floor he says he'll tell all, but I'm not sure that counts as a confession.
I think it at least partially counts as she thought about taking one more shot and not getting the confession. Especially since like Provenza said things would have been simpler if she had.
GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
Strange that Brenda took a new job in LA. Thought after the death of her mother she'd be going back to Atlanta to spend as much time as she could with her dad.
I suspect the object was to keep the character as open as possible for the spin-off...
Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Cainebj

and considering it's ratings -
i am sure they aren't ruling out special one off episodes or mini-movies starring Brenda.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #15
Mikeyis4dcats

it's all up to Kyra Sedgwick, she was the one that wanted to leave the show. Will she get "homesick"? Who knows, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
Yeah, but Jon Tenney wanted to move to the new show. Little tough if his TV wife's in Atlanta...
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Yeah, but Jon Tenney wanted to move to the new show. Little tough if his TV wife's in Atlanta...
Actually, I think was just a guest star in the first episode..?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
Amnesia
The Question

He's listed as a regular on the show site
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Interesting...I was pretty sure he was in the credits of the first episode with the guest cast.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
tiams

Quote:

Oh, and since the show is set on the west coast, those are Ding Dongs, not Ring Dings.
Brenda is from the south and down here they are known as Big Wheels.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Brenda is from the south and down here they are known as Big Wheels.
Well, 25 years ago maybe. So unless they were stale or had been frozen all that time. ( my favorite way to eat Ding Dongs ) then they weren't Big Wheels either.

The show did some product placement and tie-ins with Reeses and Kit-Kat, so I wouldn't be surprised if they made a deal for the snack cakes as well. I'd be impressed if they were clever enough to not say the name so that anyone seeing them would assume they were the local brand.

Me, I'm sticking with the west coast name, without which this t-shirt I have wouldn't be nearly as funny:

Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
tiams

I haven't seen them in years and years around here. So it always seemed weird to me that Brenda would have them. Do they still make them on the west coast? I thought Big Wheels, Ho-Hos, Wonder Bread and Twinkies were now extinct since Hostess died.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

You can still get them, but I have not seen foil wrapped one's in years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
Sadara
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I loved the purse full of ring dings.
They wrapped up Gabriel's departure very well. I hope They soften up Captain Rader's character a bit. Mary Mcdonnel is a terrific actress, but her character just makes my skin crawl.

She makes my skin crawl too. I like how the dynamics are changing though. We'll see how that goes moving forward. They do need to smooth out Raydor's extremely rough edges, she's a pill, a huge bitter pill!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
Gary McCoy

Giving her a male teenaged foster kid was the first step in softening the character, I think. Now she has to save somebody's behind from political police department BS, in the way that Brenda Leigh used to fail to do until Rader helped her.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #26
Sadara
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
Giving her a male teenaged foster kid was the first step in softening the character, I think. Now she has to save somebody's behind from political police department BS, in the way that Brenda Leigh used to fail to do until Rader helped her.
I think Rusty will be teaching the much older Raydor some big life lessons. At least I hope he does!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #27
Blurayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams
I haven't seen them in years and years around here. So it always seemed weird to me that Brenda would have them. Do they still make them on the west coast? I thought Big Wheels, Ho-Hos, Wonder Bread and Twinkies were now extinct since Hostess died.
Hostess isn't dead my Jewel has Twinkies, Zingers, CupCakes, and Ho-Ho's in stock.

They also have a website Hostess Cakes
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayfan View Post
Hostess isn't dead my Jewel has Twinkies, Zingers, CupCakes, and Ho-Ho's in stock.

They also have a website Hostess Cakes
Hostess has filed for bankruptcy, so you better buy up those Twinkies. And don't worry, they won't go bad.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #29
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
You can still get them, but I have not seen foil wrapped one's in years.
It's been a couple months since I got some, but they were foil wrapped. If you get the 2-pack from next to the store checkout they don't have foil (they're not individually wrapped) but the the larger box does still have them in foil as they should be. I've never seen them wrapped in anything else.

Ho-Hos are different. They used to be in foil but went to mylar at some point a few years ago. They used to be a so-so substitute for a Ding Dongs with the foil, but I drew the line with the mylar.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
It's been a couple months since I got some, but they were foil wrapped. If you get the 2-pack from next to the store checkout they don't have foil (they're not individually wrapped) but the the larger box does still have them in foil as they should be. I've never seen them wrapped in anything else.

Ho-Hos are different. They used to be in foil but went to mylar at some point a few years ago. They used to be a so-so substitute for a Ding Dongs with the foil, but I drew the line with the mylar.
Interesting. It's been a while (at least a year) since I bought any Ding Dongs. I bought the box (maybe two dozen in total) and they were each wrapped individually in a shiny white sealed bag. Sealed kind of like a potato chip bag.

You can kind of see the wrapper behind the ding dong in this image: