TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
browncouch

No sound on non-copy protected recording transferred from Tivo Desktop

I am able to transfer “Entertainment Tonight” from my Tivo to PC successfully using Tivo Desktop (even tried kmttg). But during playback there is no sound. It’s not a problem with my Media Player’s audio codec because other shows play fine. In fact, the Entertainment Tonight episode (NBC HD) that was taped last week was delayed because of the Olympics. So there was sound during the first 3 minutes of playback. But when ET started, the sound went off. It seems like my cable provider has put some sort of restriction on this particular show. Any ideas?
browncouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
ggieseke

It sounds exactly like a codec problem to me. Without knowing what model of TiVo you have and what operating system your PC is running I can't be sure, but my best guess is that you don't have an AC3 codec or the one you do have doesn't work right. Try AC3Filter.

http://ac3filter.net/

If you still have problems after that, go to the Home Media forum here and try the codec utility in the sticky at the top of the page. Open one of the files in question with it and post a screenshot of the filter graph it shows. It would also help if you download MediaInfo, switch to the text view, and post the detailed info on one of the recordings.

The recording that was delayed due to the Olympics probably switched to a different audio encoding method when ET came on.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
browncouch

Already tried installing ac3filter and tried running TDCM (w/AC3Filter selected for audio). I could try uninstalling, then re-installing everything. But before doing that, let me add that I've tried encoding the file to mp4 (once using Tivo Desktop Plus, another time using kmttg) for playback on my Apple TV (version 3) and the issue was the same, no audio once ET began. That's why I felt it wasn't a codec issue.

My Tivo is a Premiere XL
Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
poppagene

I was having parallel issues of not getting sound on TIVO using playon and pytivo and the cause turned out to be using the wrong version of adobe flash on my computer. I had installed a beta version of adobe flash and whne I reverted back to the current release of adobe, my issues with sound were solved.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
browncouch

That doesn't explain the playback issues on the Apple TV. The episode plays sound during the first 3 minutes (from delayed Olympic coverage) but as soon as ET starts the sound goes away. This is the case with only ET episodes. It happens on computers and on the Apple TV.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
ggieseke

Can you post the MediaInfo details? Hopefully a complete file with no sound, not the partial Olympics file.

Edit: If you have Desktop Plus, you already have all of the codecs necessary to play any TiVo file. This is a weird one.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote