TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
truegalbklyn

More things on your TiVo = slower downloading time with kmttg?

Question...

if you have more things saved on your TiVo, do kmttg downloads take longer? I noticed that the file sizes of certain things are bigger when I have other things saved so I am thinking that causes the kmttg downloads to take longer, yes?

Is there anything one can do to speed up the time it takes other than clearing space on the TiVo?
truegalbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
lrhorer

I'm not quite sure I follow about some files being bigger. Meanwhile, for the most part clearing space on the Tivo will not speed up anything. As the TiVo gets very full, files may become more fragmented, perhaps adding just a tiny bit to the average access time, but the fact is the bottleneck is the CPU and the cycles required for transcoding and encrypting the files, not disk acess time. Even fragmented, the hard drive can deliver data far, far faster than the system can process it.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-22-2012 at 12:57 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Like lrhorer stated, transfers to a computer are limited by the Tivos CPU power.

The only thing I've heard of that speeds up the process (somewhat, YMMV) is to change all tuners to a blank channel.
A blank channel is a channel that shows up in your channel list but has no content or 'no signal'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegalbklyn View Post
if you have more things saved on your TiVo, do kmttg downloads take longer?
No.

Quote:
I noticed that the file sizes of certain things are bigger when I have other things saved
What?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
What?
Yeah, that was my reaction, too.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
samsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
No.

What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yeah, that was my reaction, too.
My reaction as well but then I thought about it. I think he means that he "thinks" the file sizes seem to be bigger for a specific recording if many things are currently saved on the TiVo. In other words, if it was just one or two recordings, the size of each file would be smaller.

This is of course, not true, but I do think that's what he meant.
samsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
lrhorer

Yeah, that's the only thing I could gather, either, and my response is still, "Huh?"