TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
robojerk

The Newsroom - 8/19/2012 - The Blackout, Part 2: Mock Debate

I get what they were trying to show, that the political debates today are a sham, but who doesn't already know this? Even when they introduced this minor plot of them coming up with a new debate format I just kept thinking that none of the people running would show up, let alone the political party agreeing with this.
I agree with the fact our politicians aren't scrutinized enough, held accountable for their words while campaigning, and dodge any real issues and bring up the same tired points. The only saving grace about this plot was that hopefully someone out there who didn't already think the whole thing is a farse may now actually think so now.

The show gets a C+ for effort for trying to throw this idea in, but an F in making it me believe these characters actually believed that this would fly.

I was a little tired last night, but I didn't quite understand what the big deal was when Maggie's roommate was on the hot seat. Did she admit that she had an abortion, or was it just the fact that she was suggesting that the mom had an abortion?

Can Maggie & Don just end it once and for all please. I know he's being a jerk by seeing other women when Maggie decides to "go on a break", but he knows Maggie is infatuated with Jim but he still likes her so I don't even fault him that much anymore because Maggie controls the relationship, she breaks it then comes crawling back and it seems like their relationship was always like this even before Jim. I also think Jim just wanted to try the relationship with Lisa again because he felt guilty for ignoring her and pining for Maggie never gave Lisa a chance. Then at the end he just did the exact opposite of what he wanted to do and now he's probably in a relationship with her again after practically begging for another chance and regrets it. If he were George Constanza this would be funny and not painful to watch.

Also please derail the Sloan and Neal relationship train I sense being dumped on us.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Relationships on some Sorkin shows feel contrived.

I enjoyed the dialogue between the GOP rep and the staff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I was a little tired last night, but I didn't quite understand what the big deal was when Maggie's roommate was on the hot seat. Did she admit that she had an abortion, or was it just the fact that she was suggesting that the mom had an abortion?
Well, she started out speaking as an indictment on the wave of "reality news," (which many of us can agree with,) but then she went off-script and in a story where a child was killed, used that as a platform to justify abortion as an option, etc. Not really the time and place for that discussion, etc. so they tried to save her by shifting the topic. Too late.

I really really loved the scene where they broke down the video of Nancy Grace's show and how/why she retains huge ratings for b.s. "news" stories, etc. That was excellent when the producer waltzed is as a master of the dark arts....
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I get what they were trying to show, that the political debates today are a sham, but who doesn't already know this? Even when they introduced this minor plot of them coming up with a new debate format I just kept thinking that none of the people running would show up, let alone the political party agreeing with this.
Yeah, it seems bizarre even by Sorkinverse standards that anybody would think that could possibly work.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I shouldda knowed but what was Neal doing trying to get into 4chan or whatever? Working on a story? He had to dirty up Sloan? Huh?

I don't even know what WYP means? Goooooogle. Oh. http://superslang.com/wyp/
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I shouldda knowed but what was Neal doing trying to get into 4chan or whatever? Working on a story? He had to dirty up Sloan? Huh?
He want's to do an investigative story on megatrolls. To do that, he needs to work his way into the magatrolls inner circle. To do that, he needed to actually accomplish some kind of significant hack or troll to have as calling card in order to be accepted.

He felt that actually attacking an innocent bystander to achieve this goal would be unethical, so he asked for Sloan's blessing to use her as his target.

Speaking of "Sloan", it's a stretch, but I wonder if Sorkin chose to name the economist character "Sloan" as some kind of reference to MIT's Sloan School of Management.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
john4200

Quote:
Even when they introduced this minor plot of them coming up with a new debate format I just kept thinking that none of the people running would show up, let alone the political party agreeing with this.
I thought that the whole idea was that it was a "mock debate". No one running was supposed to "show up". They were going to have the ACN people answer the questions as if they were the candidates.

What I didn't follow is who those people were that shot the idea down. They represented the Republican party? Why did ACN need their approval? Couldn't they go ahead without it?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I thought that the whole idea was that it was a "mock debate". No one running was supposed to "show up". They were going to have the ACN people answer the questions as if they were the candidates.

What I didn't follow is who those people were that shot the idea down. They represented the Republican party? Why did ACN need their approval? Couldn't they go ahead without it?
They wanted to get an actual debate with the actual candidates. The mock debate was just to show how it would work. As had been mentioned earlier, there was zero chance of the GOP people ever agreeing to their new format and it was way out there for anyone to believe they had an actual chance.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #9
TheDewAddict
No Mercy

I'm beyond over Jim and Maggie, and they've never even been together! It just feels like this is a road that pretty much every other TV show has travelled before, and I'm tired of it. I guess it doesn't hurt that I like the actress who plays Lisa (she had a few episode stint on The Office as a potential love-interest to Dwight).

Lisa is pretty, has a decent-paying job (I'd imagine), and seems to be have a good head on her shoulders. Maggie is average looking, and crazy.

Oh, and what sort of store that sells $11,000 dresses wouldn't have some sort of surveillance cameras to see who spray painted the outside of the store?
TheDewAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
robojerk

I wrote some thing about the whole relationship, but then deleted it. I don't care about Jim, Maggie, or Don's love life.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

I think Will thought they would be able to do the debate because he was friends with Adam Arkin's character. He also use to work in a republican White House and he was a prosecutor so it wouldn't seem like he was attacking as much as cross-examining/holding people accountable for what they said.

I like they went down that road. To me it fits in with the ideal News show that Sorkin wants to portray.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
robojerk

From my point of view presidential candidates, usually view themselves as righteous untouchable as5holes. Will should know none of the candidates would show up because they don't want to be grilled and he should know this because I doubt they would even go on his show because of the fact he's been railing against the tea party movement so much. So why would they subject themselves to a brutal cross examination and expose themselves?

The worst thing Will did was demonstrate what he planned to do with a mock debate. He should have manipulated the RNC to allow him to have different rules then just throw it out. No matter how chummy he is with that guy the RNC would have never agreed to that.

Also since this show follows our timeline exactly and there was no such debate having it blown up in his face was all that could have happened. If this show had fake politicians that were based off our universe's real ones we could have gotten to see this debate and it would have been entertaining to watch, may have even made up for the sappy love drama.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDewAddict View Post
Oh, and what sort of store that sells $11,000 dresses wouldn't have some sort of surveillance cameras to see who spray painted the outside of the store?
Who sprayed painted the store is irrelevant to the show, so that's why they never showed trying to catch him.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDewAddict View Post
What sort of militant pro-lifer going to vandalize a building on a busy street would not wear a mask?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
What sort of militant pro-lifer going to vandalize a building on a busy street would not wear a mask?
But then the CSI guys could zoom in on the surveillance footage to see that the perp had a pin on his jacket that would tie him to a certain fraternity, which would lead them to another arcane clue, which would lead them to another esoteric clue, which could ONLY be from the perp.

But since who sprayed painted the store is irrelevant to the show, we don't get to watch the CSI guys at work.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But then the CSI guys could zoom in on the surveillance footage to see that the perp had a pin on his jacket that would tie him to a certain fraternity, which would lead them to another arcane clue, which would lead them to another esoteric clue, which could ONLY be from the perp.

But since who sprayed painted the store is irrelevant to the show, we don't get to watch the CSI guys at work.
On Burn Notice it would have been that the paint was a specific color and brand that is only sold in one store and after setting up the store owner we find out that only one guy bought the paint who was anywhere near NYC and he's a double secret hush-hush assassin for a super secret behind everything in the world organization and the cops and the FBI have been told to close the case.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
Idearat

I was happy with what Lisa did. Not for any political reason though. Everyone was using someone for their own personal gains, she figured she might as well jump in and give her feelings some airtime too. She evened up the whole "who's using whom?" balance.

The whole Maggie love quadrangle is getting annoying with all these near misses. It's like they took 4 years of Ross & Rachel and are compressing it into 10 shows.

As they try to keep one foot in current events it's not likely we'll see any movement on the debate, but that is one I'd love to see. As a primary debate there might be something to the idea that a candidate that emerges from that sort of debate a winner is better suited to competing with the other party's candidate. I did like the line about baseball players being sworn in to talk about steroid use but candidates being able to say anything without any reprisals .
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #18
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

Quote:
Can Maggie & Don just end it once and for all please. I know he's being a jerk by seeing other women when Maggie decides to "go on a break"...
THEY WERE ON A BREAK!!!

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #19
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuur View Post
THEY WERE ON A BREAK!!!
I can't tell you how many times I screamed that at the TV during this episode.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

The problem isn't what happened while they were on a break, the problem is he didn't tell the Other Woman that the break is over.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
DLiquid
Progressive User

I liked that these episodes were called The Blackout, Parts 1 and 2, but the blackout only lasted the final 5 minutes of the first episode and the first 5 minutes of the second episode.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

We just got around to watching this episode last night... we loved Mac's speech and then caught up in the moment reaction when the power came back on.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote