TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

London Olympics TV Coverage Thread

To start the thread off, here's a detailed breakdown of the TV schedule.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
TheMerk
Always Bid First

This will be our first Olympics since ditching cable. Hoping we don't miss too much by having to rely solely on NBC's coverage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Amnesia
The Question

I just set up 3 season passes for NBC and um...two other channels. From last time, I know I have to go through them pretty quickly or else both my DVRs will fill up...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Allanon

You can get all the Olympic events from YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/olympic

Might help you from running out of space on the Tivo. Also Tivo has their Olympic Games Guide in the "Music, Photos, Showcases" menu on the series 3, not sure where it would be on the Premiere.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

That NBC TV schedule is "subject to change" - for example, the women's 78kg judo gold medal bout scheduled for 8/2 at 4:30 won't air if USA's entry in that event doesn't make it to the final.

Judo and Sailing seem to be the "odd sports out" of the broadcasts. Nothing particularly new about that. (I wonder how NBC would handle it if the IOC were to replace judo with karate.)

Speaking of the Olympics, something you might want to note if you're going to watch the basketball: they have replaced the trapezoidal free throw lanes with NBA-sized rectangular lanes. (To think the NCAA came this close to making all of the colleges switch to trapezoid lanes a few years ago.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
aindik

NBC is not sending all of their announcers to London. Some of them will be calling the action from NBC in New York. For example, they're only sending 4 people to cover basketball. One play by play guy (Bob Fitzgerald of the Golden State Warriors), one analyst (Doug Collins), one sideline reporter (Craig Sager), and one studio analyst (Doc Rivers), I guess for guest spots with Costas, or whoever is hosting. All games not called by this team will be called by people who are physically in New York.

On a happier note for you hockey fans, look forward to Doc Emirick calling Water Polo.

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic...C_commentators
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
NBC is not sending all of their announcers to London. Some of them will be calling the action from NBC in New York. For example, they're only sending 4 people to cover basketball. One play by play guy (Bob Fitzgerald of the Golden State Warriors), one analyst (Doug Collins), one sideline reporter (Craig Sager), and one studio analyst (Doc Rivers), I guess for guest spots with Costas, or whoever is hosting. All games not called by this team will be called by people who are physically in New York.

On a happier note for you hockey fans, look forward to Doc Emirick calling Water Polo.

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic...C_commentators
Wow. That's surprisingly stingy on the part of Comcast!

I mean, I'm no big fan of unnecessary commentary/PxP... but if they're going to have PxP, they should actually be there. The whole point of PxP is to have people there who can see the action live, relaying what people at home might not be able to see very well (or at all).
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Wow. That's surprisingly stingy on the part of Comcast!

I mean, I'm no big fan of unnecessary commentary/PxP... but if they're going to have PxP, they should actually be there. The whole point of PxP is to have people there who can see the action live, relaying what people at home might not be able to see very well (or at all).
I would also think a lot more would be made of it, but I couldn't find anything about it other than that wikipedia page. Maybe it's not true?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
lambertman
How'd I get this old

BTN sometimes doesn't send announcers from Chicago to Lafayette, IN. I wouldn't be surprised if NBC didn't send judo experts to Britain.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
TheMerk
Always Bid First

A lot of MLS teams don't send their local crew to away games: they call the game from their home studio.

But that's MLS. This is the Olympics!

/
/
/

Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
I would also think a lot more would be made of it, but I couldn't find anything about it other than that wikipedia page. Maybe it's not true?
I haven't been able to find another source that specifically says they'll be in NY.

However, NBC's press release announcing their broadcasting lineup lists specific people that will be in London, which seems to imply that at least some of those NOT listed as being in London will be elsewhere:
http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/s...0907544308.xml
Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
That NBC TV schedule is "subject to change" - for example, the women's 78kg judo gold medal bout scheduled for 8/2 at 4:30 won't air if USA's entry in that event doesn't make it to the final.
That's why I tend to try to record EVERYTHING (at least when they start to get into the finals of events), and FF through tons and tons of stuff... for when things are rescheduled.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #13
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
Very cool. I had no idea. Thanks much!
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
This will be our first Olympics since ditching cable. Hoping we don't miss too much by having to rely solely on NBC's coverage.
If you've relied solely on NBC's coverage in the past, then you've already missed too much. If an American doesn't place in an otherwise exciting competition, NBC cuts away to the next commercial or US athlete bio or the preparations for the next US athlete to compete in another sport ... completely missing out on the final competition where the American was eliminated.

Canadian or European broadcasts continue to broadcast the sport until the winner is determined -- regardless of country of origin.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
ewolfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post

Might help you from running out of space on the Tivo. Also Tivo has their Olympic Games Guide in the "Music, Photos, Showcases" menu on the series 3, not sure where it would be on the Premiere.
I see a banner in the middle of that Youtube page that says "To watch the Olympics LIVE in the US, click here" I then get redirected to nbc's site that requires a cable/sat subscription to view.

Will we be able to get replays via Youtube's site? I don't really care much about the live viewing since I will be at work when most of the action is going on in London anyway.
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #16
Allanon

You can also watch videos at http://www.nbcolympics.com/index.html. You will need to sign in with a cable provider. The women's soccer matches are already posted.

Also, I tired a few of the videos on the Olympic YouTube channel I posted above and they said they couldn't be viewed in my country. But you can use this YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/user/2012nbcolympics

But I think it will redirect back to nbcolympics.com when playing videos.

Last edited by Allanon : 07-26-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I know they did this for some of the Winter Olympic hockey, and I'm sure some other sports. I thought ESPN did this with some of the World Cup Soccer as well. While it's really not a big deal, you can definitely feel a different vibe watching the games when the announcers are not there.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
At least NBC is providing its own commentators. Back in 2000, they used the Australian commentary for the two field hockey finals.

Does anybody know if the online coverage has audio commentators? In 2008, it did not; instead, commentary was provided chat-style.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Anyone hoping to piggyback off of a friend's cable subscription to stream Olympics from NBC.com to their TV will be pretty disappointed. As far as I can tell, there's no way to fullscreen the video as it always has the ad above, and the Youtube control bar below:

/
/
/

Last edited by TheMerk : 07-26-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
ewolfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
At least NBC is providing its own commentators. Back in 2000, they used the Australian commentary for the two field hockey finals.

Does anybody know if the online coverage has audio commentators? In 2008, it did not; instead, commentary was provided chat-style.
From a post that I saw at nytimes.com today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/sp....html?src=recg

Quote:
Whose voices will viewers hear on the live streaming? Some sports will be called by NBC announcers and some by announcers hired by the London host broadcaster. And about half the events will be silent. For some, that might be a blessing.
And linked from there was an article about how much time and effort its taking NBC to get setup over in London:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/26/sp...pagewanted=all
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #21
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
From a post that I saw at nytimes.com today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/sp....html?src=recg
That's much the same as it was in Beijing. Actually, for Beijing, the vast majority of their online streaming was strictly the Olympic Broadcasting pool feed - no PxP at all.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #22
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
PxP

Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Play by Play.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Isn't it pretty common to do remote PxP for major international events? There just isn't enough physical space in these venues to accommodate everyone within the venue itself.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
Anyone hoping to piggyback off of a friend's cable subscription to stream Olympics from NBC.com to their TV will be pretty disappointed. As far as I can tell, there's no way to fullscreen the video as it always has the ad above, and the Youtube control bar below:

What about viewing it via YouTube apps on TVs, Blu-ray players and other similar TV-centric devices?

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #26
Amnesia
The Question

You'd still have the same issue. That banner is part of the YouTube video itself.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #27
tiams

I'm excited about the opening ceremonies tonight; it is my favorite part. I love a spectacle. I'm excited to see who will light the cauldron. Danny Boyle is directing the whole thing and he has said it will be like a live action film. There are rumors that there will be a fight between Voldemort and Harry Potter. David Beckham has a top-secret role to play and Paul McCartney performing is a sure bet.

London traffic is said to be a total nightmare. Citizens have been asked to stay home and not drive, and it took hours to drive U.S. dignitaries picked up at Heathrow to their destination.

Surface to Air missiles are stationed on top of apartment buildings. There is a warship in the Thames and drones in the air.

It's all very thrilling.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #28
Amnesia
The Question

BTW: The opening ceremony (as well as some strange sports) will be filmed and broadcast in 3D.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I'll take the ad in the video itself if it means I can watch some trampoline.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #30
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
BTW: The opening ceremony (as well as some strange sports) will be filmed and broadcast in 3D.
That is pretty cool. Wish I had a way to watch in 3-D.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote