TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
sssteven61

I Put A Hard Drive From Hughes Dvr Into Samsung Dvr It Works But Wont Record Why

I Took A Hard Drive From A Hughes Sd Dvr 40 And Put It In A Samsung Sir 4040 And Everything Works Fine Except It Wont Record Shows Why ? And The Reason Why I Did That Is The Hard Drive That Was In The Samsung Quit Working It Would Freeze Everytime In The Final Set Up When It Was Acquiring Information From The Satelite Everytime At 78 Percent And I Think I Tried Everything They Say To On These Foreums Direct Tv Says The Hard Drive Is Still Good But I Couldnt Get It To Work I Have A Bigger Hard Drive From A Computer That Is The Same Kind Of Hard Drive It Has Nothing On It At All Will That Work Maybe Or Is There Something U Have To Do To It To Get It To Work Well Thank U Very Much I Hope Somebody Can Help Me Out
sssteven61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

Separate sentences.

Do a C&DE.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
sssteven61

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Separate sentences.

Do a C&DE.
WHAT IS A C & DE
Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

C&DE = "Clear and Delete everything". This is required when moving the TiVo software from one box to another.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
sssteven61

Moving Hard Drive From Hughes Dvr To A Samsung Dvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
C&DE = "Clear and Delete everything". This is required when moving the TiVo software from one box to another.
I DID THE CLEAR AND DELETE EVERYTHING AND IT STILL DONT RECORD WHY CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT PLEASE
Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

You have several threads open asking basically the same question. It would be helpful for you stick to one to make things easier.

What error messages are you getting (if any) when you try to record something? Have you tried doing a test phone call? Have you tried reauthorizing your receiver?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
sssteven61

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
You have several threads open asking basically the same question. It would be helpful for you stick to one to make things easier.

What error messages are you getting (if any) when you try to record something? Have you tried doing a test phone call? Have you tried reauthorizing your receiver?
WHEN U PUSH THE RECORD BUTTON IT SAYS U NEED TO HOOK UP UR PHONE LINE AND I DONT HAVE A HOME PHONE ONLY A CELL PHONE AND IT WORKED BEFORE WITHOUT A PHONE LINE BEFORE IT BROKE AND I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH DIRECTV AND THEY TRYED EVERYTHING TO GET IT TO WORK BUT THAT WAS BEFORE I CLEARED AND DELETED EVERYTHING AND SOMEBODY SAID ITS LOCKED TO THE HUGHES BOX THEY SAID TRY THE STUCK CAPS LOCK KEY DO U KNOW WHAT THAT IS OR HOW TO GET TO THAT ?

Last edited by sssteven61 : 08-11-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: TO ADD SOMETHING
Old 08-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
sssteven61

How Do U Reauthorize The Reciever
Old 08-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteven61 View Post
WHEN U PUSH THE RECORD BUTTON IT SAYS U NEED TO HOOK UP UR PHONE LINE AND I DONT HAVE A HOME PHONE ONLY A CELL PHONE AND IT WORKED BEFORE WITHOUT A PHONE LINE BEFORE IT BROKE AND I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH DIRECTV AND THEY TRYED EVERYTHING TO GET IT TO WORK BUT THAT WAS BEFORE I CLEARED AND DELETED EVERYTHING AND SOMEBODY SAID ITS LOCKED TO THE HUGHES BOX THEY SAID TRY THE STUCK CAPS LOCK KEY DO U KNOW WHAT THAT IS OR HOW TO GET TO THAT ?
You did need to do the clear & delete to get the disk from a different TiVo working in this one. I'm pretty sure you need to have it phone home after running guided setup to get it working though and you're probably dead in the water unless you can get access to one from a friend, at work, etc.

The caps lock key comment was a snarky way to tell you not to type in all capital letters. It makes your posts more difficult to read (and harder for people to help you out) and is considered to be the online equivalent of shouting at someone you are standing next to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteven61
How Do U Reauthorize The Reciever
If you have an account at directv.com just go to "My Equipment" and select "Reauthorize Online". You can also call 1-800-DIRECTV and choose the option saying you have an extension number appearing on your screen and then enter 711 for that number.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
sssteven61

[quote=sbourgeo;9225945]You did need to do the clear & delete to get the disk from a different TiVo working in this one. I'm pretty sure you need to have it phone home after running guided setup to get it working though and you're probably dead in the water unless you can get access to one from a friend, at work, etc.

The caps lock key comment was a snarky way to tell you not to type in all capital letters. It makes your posts more difficult to read (and harder for people to help you out) and is considered to be the online equivalent of shouting at someone you are standing next to.

hey sorry iam all new with this computer stuff i didnt know about writing in caps and the reason i do that is i have a little laptop and i cant see very good i need new glasses but i went online and reautherized it and it still dont work also directv told me u dont need the phone hooked up anymore they do everything thur the satellite signal now but i know its pissing me off i cant get it to work
Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteven61 View Post
i went online and reautherized it and it still dont work also directv told me u dont need the phone hooked up anymore they do everything thur the satellite signal now but i know its pissing me off i cant get it to work
The DirecTV rep you spoke to is mistaken. TiVo software updates do come in over the satellite stream but require a phone call to be installed. Similarly, I'm 99.9% certain that your TiVo must make a phone call after running the clear & delete everything based on the experience a friend had recently after restoring a backup on his series 1 TiVo/DirecTV combo box.

Are you able to see the various channels on your TiVo even though you cannot record them? Also, are you getting an error message when you try to record something and if so, what is it?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
sssteven61

yes everything works all channels it just wont record when u push record button it says final step u have to hook up a phone line and i dont have a home phone so i got a magic jack and it still wont work the new dvr work no problem with magic jack put the old dvr like i have u have to do something to the dvr to get the magic jack to work i dont no what it is hoping i can find out what it is u wouldnt know what it is would u or know were i can find out what i have to do thank u very much
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

After the "Clear and Delete Everything" you must perform the initial Guided Setup again. And that requires a phone connection. If your MagicJack IP phone service won't work, then take the Tivo to a friend or neighbor with a regular phone line and perform the Guided Setup there. No satellite connection is needed for that part of the Guided Setup.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
sssteven61

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
After the "Clear and Delete Everything" you must perform the initial Guided Setup again. And that requires a phone connection. If your MagicJack IP phone service won't work, then take the Tivo to a friend or neighbor with a regular phone line and perform the Guided Setup there. No satellite connection is needed for that part of the Guided Setup.
do u have to call directv and tell them what number ur using or does the reciever just call them and thank u very much u just saved me a bunch of time looking for how to do it
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

The DVR should have the correct number to call when it performs the phone call during the Guided Setup. Assuming your old Tivo was properly activated onto your account, there should be no reason to call DirecTV when setting it up with the replacement hard drive.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote