TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
elorahd

Things I find irksome about the new TiVo

So I received my new HD TiVo today. My other one was dying a fast death. I happily got it in only one day. But when I opened my package and looked at my new beauty, I was disappointed. The remote feels like shiny, plastic crap. I hate the new arrow button which is also hard plastic. But my biggest complaint? Where the hell is the LIST button??!! It was replaced with a ZOOM button??!! When the hell am I going to use the ZOOM button??!! So very NOT happy about that.
My dear TiVo community, please tell me there is a workaround for the missing List button. I know I only have to press one more button to get to the Now Playing list but when you're used to having it right at your fingertips, it's annoying to have it taken away.
The other thing I'm hoping there's a workaround for is that annoying TiVo Suggestions folder in the Now Playing list. I hate it. I want it gone. I will never, ever use it. Can I delete it somehow??
If I can fix these two things then my TiVo life will be complete once more and I won't have to send them a nasty letter letting them know how much I hate their new design.
I'm also not really interested in a lot of the new things they added to the software. I don't watch a lot of movies and I never order them from directv (too expensive) so most of the extra stuff just isn't helpful.
elorahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

i guess that everyone uses their TiVo differently, but I could never live without the zoom button. Not everything is in 16:9 and I use zoom to adjust the shape of 4:3 content to either zoom or stretch or bars...whatever looks best for that particular show.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Wow. 'Hate' is such a strong word!

What you have are a couple of minor annoyances.

To get to the list, just press the left arrow button from live TV. It'll take you to the last place you were in the menu, usually the list.

As for the things you don't use, well, others DO use them, so it's not really bad to have them is it? Just ignore the TiVo Suggestions folder and turn them off in the settings, then delete everything in the folder and, there you go. No suggestions.

Personally, I have found times where there was nothing particular I wanted to watch and I found something interesting in the suggestions folder. It doesn't actually cost me anything to have it running in the background, so I don't even think about it.

Sure, there are inconveniences just as there are with any product, but I don't HATE any of them!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Wow. 'Hate' is such a strong word!

What you have are a couple of minor annoyances.

To get to the list, just press the left arrow button from live TV. It'll take you to the last place you were in the menu, usually the list.
Also pressing the TiVo button twice will take you to the list.

And finally, the new TiVo will happily work with your old remote. So if you prefer it, by all means keep using it. (edit: bad info; sorry about that)

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 08-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No, the new TiVo will not work with older DTiVo remotes. The remote codes are those of the DirecTV-Plus DVRs, with a few extra buttons.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
No, the new TiVo will not work with older DTiVo remotes. The remote codes are those of the DirecTV-Plus DVRs, with a few extra buttons.
Sorry about that. I was browsing from 'New Posts' and somehow missed this was a DirecTV TiVo issue.

Thanks for straightening that out.