TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Stars Earn Stripes whole-season thread (spoilers)

Anybody else watching the new show on NBC, Stars Earn Stripes?

Dean Cain, Laila Ali, and a bunch of other celebrities team up with special ops guys and law enforcement and do military exercises. They are competing to win money for various charities that help families of service members or first responders.

So it's like Dancing with the Stars, kinda sorta, only with Green Berets and Navy Seals and Swat team leaders as the 'professional partners', and instead of the Samba, and the Viennese Waltz and movie-themed dances with props, we get military exercises, which in episode one includes jumping out of helicopters, and blowing stuff up.

Quote:
...their first mission: an amphibious assault. Working in teams of four, the squads will drop from a helicopter into water, take Zodiacs to shore, then blow up a tower, shoot out targets, haul ammo into a shack, plant explosives and then trigger the explosives while flying away hanging below the helicopter. Each squad will be timed for how long it takes them to complete the mission successfully.
General Wesley Clark is our host, and (I'm not making this up you know) Samantha Harris is the co-host.

The show is very respectful, and the intent is to give people a clue about the dangerous crap our service members and first responders have to do in their line of work, plus give some publicity to the charities that the celebs are competing for.

http://www.nbc.com/stars-earn-stripes/about/charities/

Main show page is at: http://www.nbc.com/stars-earn-stripes/

I don't know if anybody else will watch this but me, but I couldn't resist. Because where else are you going to see celebrities learning how to blow stuff up with a grenade launcher for real?

It was great to see the girls kick butt in episode one. I'm rooting for Picabo Street.

Episode one is available online until: 09/16/2012

Edited to add: Some people are upset because they don't want to see military stuff "made into a game". I can see where they are coming from, but let's get real. People who are in the military have exercises like this as part of their training. If there are four squads in training together and they're doing exercises, somebody somewhere is keeping track of who performed better or more poorly. The trainers will, because they'll need to be able to give correction to the service members who need help, and the trainees will, because they'll want bragging rights.

The only difference here is that 1) the experienced operatives are training civilians, not soldiers, and 2) they have a civilian audience -- we get to watch. And 3) the charity tie-in.

At least here (unlike video games) maybe if people get to know the service members, and know the celebrities, they'll stop and think that yes, real people have to undertake all these tasks, and run the risk of getting killed, just so the rest of us can sit on our sorry asses and watch TV and play video games and post on forums like this here at home.

So if you've served, and you are reading this post, I say, just like General Clark does on the show:

Thank you for your service.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
appleye1

I'm watching it. It looks like it's a retread of an earlier Mark Burnett show called CombatMissions"Having seen the new one now I'd have to say I liked the earlier show better. It seemed more authentic, and I really dislike shows that have celebrity contestants.

I Cut The Cord! 02/11 (OTA Hulu+ Netflix)
TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked it and will keep watching.

I liked how they adapted as they had two contestants (on different squads) not complete the first mission so it seemed fair they should have to compete head-to-head with each other leaving their partners in the game. The two most muscular guys failed at the swimming with gear part, even though all the women managed to do it. Those muscles turned into a liability in that scenario.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
The two most muscular guys failed at the swimming with gear part, even though all the women managed to do it. Those muscles turned into a liability in that scenario.
I couldn't help but remember the stereotype I heard as a kid as if it were fact : "Black folks can't swim".

Sharon Osborne is very pissed because the show rejected her son as a contestant for physical reasons (he has multiple sclerosis). She claims it is discrimination. She even threatened to leave AGT in protest. But really, I heard she wasn't planning on returning to that show anyway and if she was really that incensed, wouldn't she quit immediately?

Desmond Tutu and other Nobel Peace Prize Laureates are protesting the show:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/desmond-t...-earn-stripes/

I liked the other, similar show mentioned above, but the difference is that one didn't have celebrities. I won't be watching any more episodes of this one. Just didn't tickle my fancy.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
tiams

The sniper guy bragged on national, primetime TV about killing 160 people. I mean just stop and think about that for a minute. This guy took 160 lives. And now he is glorified on a gameshow like his kills were nothing more than a videogame score. I'm sure many middle-school aged boys are watching this show and it seems to me that warfare killings should feel more profound and regretable. Like an evil that is sometimes necessary but that should be avoided if possible, not sought after like a good sports statistic.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I'm sure many middle-school aged boys are watching this show and it seems to me that warfare killings should feel more profound and regretable. Like an evil that is sometimes necessary but that should be avoided if possible, not sought after like a good sports statistic.
I hear you, but I also heard one of the celebs ask their partner about how many people he had killed, and got the response "we don't talk about that".

And I agree that warfare killings should feel more profound and regrettable, but it is not necessarily the middle-school aged boys that need to get that lesson. A lot of the guys on Capitol Hill need it also.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I liked it and will keep watching.

I liked how they adapted as they had two contestants (on different squads) not complete the first mission so it seemed fair they should have to compete head-to-head with each other leaving their partners in the game. The two most muscular guys failed at the swimming with gear part, even though all the women managed to do it. Those muscles turned into a liability in that scenario.
I feel for those guys. I grew up on the beach, but I'm not a strong swimmer. I know that I should relax and float on my back and let myself be towed, but I've never been in the position where I needed to have someone do it.

I'm used to being underwater, and I used to deliberately stay under and see how long I could hold my breath, but not while I was loaded up with gear and charged up with adrenaline. So I don't know how I would have reacted in the same situation.

I agree with the op who praised his celeb for going ahead with the jump, knowing he couldn't swim worth crap. That did take guts.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
DougF

I don't generally like to thread-crap, but the topic has been brought up so...here goes.

While I haven't watched it, I find the title to be an insult to anyone who ever served. You don't earn stripes by being a pampered celebrity who plays war games for a few hours, resting in your trailer between takes and having production assistants tend to your every need.

You earn stripes by being shot at over Vietnam. You earn stripes by removing bodies from a plane crash. You earn stripes by being deployed far away from your family for a year or more at a time. You earn stripes by going to work at 6:00 AM and not getting home until 7:00 PM or even later. You earn stripes by missing pretty much everything your children do in school and hearing about it at night as your try to eat something before falling asleep from exhaustion. You earn stripes by being on alert for three straight days (not going home at all) and making sure your bomber is ready to take off at a moment's notice and defend our country. You earn stripes while doing your job well through all that and getting paid squat for it.

Here's the part where I pause while someone looks for the "Lighten up, Francis" image...

I know, it's just a TV show. And again, I haven't seen it, so I can't speak to the content. I just think the title was very poorly chosen.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
While I haven't watched it, I find the title to be an insult to anyone who ever served. You don't earn stripes by being a pampered celebrity who plays war games for a few hours, resting in your trailer between takes and having production assistants tend to your every need.
I'm not really offended by the title. Maybe they could have chosen a better one.

But the show is not trying to pass it off that they are earning anything more than money for the charities that they are playing for. The "stripes" in question are basically just $10,000 ticker marks for how much money the military charity they are playing for gets at the end.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
The sniper guy bragged on national, primetime TV about killing 160 people. I mean just stop and think about that for a minute. This guy took 160 lives. And now he is glorified on a gameshow like his kills were nothing more than a videogame score. I'm sure many middle-school aged boys are watching this show and it seems to me that warfare killings should feel more profound and regretable. Like an evil that is sometimes necessary but that should be avoided if possible, not sought after like a good sports statistic.
Disclaimer: haven't seen the show, and I don't know if "bragged" is an accurate descriptor.

Snipers are trained to kill people. That's their job. Their job is not to question whether the person they are shooting at deserves to die, and they are certainly not trained to regret having to do so. If they were, they wouldn't be a very good sniper, and they would probably get a lot of their fellow soldiers killed while they weighed the moral implications of their assigned task.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
tiellv
Down by the river

This show didn't get very good reviews but I quite enjoyed it and I'll keep watching it.
It certainly humbled some of those cocky actors
Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I'm not really offended by the title. Maybe they could have chosen a better one.

But the show is not trying to pass it off that they are earning anything more than money for the charities that they are playing for. The "stripes" in question are basically just $10,000 ticker marks for how much money the military charity they are playing for gets at the end.
In addition, the title is a bit of a pun on "stars and stripes," while making an oblique reference to the military use of the word "stripes."

I missed the first part of the show, but what I saw was entertaining enough, and somewhat educational in that it provides even a small hint to what the military is like.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Disclaimer: haven't seen the show, and I don't know if "bragged" is an accurate descriptor.

Snipers are trained to kill people. That's their job. Their job is not to question whether the person they are shooting at deserves to die, and they are certainly not trained to regret having to do so. If they were, they wouldn't be a very good sniper, and they would probably get a lot of their fellow soldiers killed while they weighed the moral implications of their assigned task.
Bragged is accurate. He even wrote a book.
Snipers are just doing their job. (Heard that before).
I myself was a sniper on a Prison Emergency Response Team. But I never had to kill someone and if I had I can't imagine being proud of it.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
laria
Librocubicularist

Yeah, he was a little braggy. He was giving a one-on-one camera introduction and mentioned that he had 160 confirmed kills and that it was like the most ever, or something like that. I remember thinking it was kind of a weird thing to highlight, even if it is his "thing".
Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
I couldn't help but remember the stereotype I heard as a kid as if it were fact : "Black folks can't swim".
Yikes.. That did pop into my mind too. There have been a few bad swimmers on Survivor too.

It's awful to have these ridiculous stereotypes (redundant) reinforced.

BTW, wow, "Celebrity Boot Camp" was 10 years ago.. that's what I thought of when first hearing about this.

I don't think Jack Osborne would have done well.. When two big huge dudes failed.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Sharon Osborne is very pissed because the show rejected her son as a contestant for physical reasons (he has multiple sclerosis). She claims it is discrimination. She even threatened to leave AGT in protest. But really, I heard she wasn't planning on returning to that show anyway and if she was really that incensed, wouldn't she quit immediately?
Contract infringement suit, duhhh
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
laria
Librocubicularist

Stephen Colbert's take on the show.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...reality-series
Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Yeah, he was a little braggy. He was giving a one-on-one camera introduction and mentioned that he had 160 confirmed kills and that it was like the most ever, or something like that. I remember thinking it was kind of a weird thing to highlight, even if it is his "thing".

It's been a "thing" as long as I can remember...

(12 confirmed kills)
Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
It's been a "thing" as long as I can remember...
Yes, I know... I'm not saying it's something new. I am just saying it is something weird to highlight on tv.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Yes, I know... I'm not saying it's something new. I am just saying it is something weird to highlight on tv.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snipers

Chris Kyle, a retired US Navy SEAL who holds the record for the most confirmed kills in U.S. military history, with 160 kills in the Iraq War

Had a ways to go before he caught up with:

Lyudmila Pavlichenko (1916–1974), was the greatest female sniper. She served the Soviet army and has 309 confirmed kills.

In any case, snipers are usually rated by kills and/or longest shot, so I didn't think anything of it.

disclaimer: Navy brat, so I may be desensitized to this sort of thing.

Last edited by Waldorf : 08-17-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
sieglinde

I have to agree with Waldorf's post. I enjoyed the military talk and the attempt to create military missions. I hope this gives the audience some idea of how harsh the conditions are, especially since the gun fire is usually aimed at them. The "gun fire" was squibs or some other tiny explosives going off on the set.

As for blacks not being able to swim, I thought it was ironic the the two non-swimmers were black. We have blacks on our Olympic swim team. Of course other countries do also. I think the stereotype actually comes from blacks living in the cities with little or no opportunity to swim. Anybody who has ever watched that famous surf movie that was made in the 60's or 70's where the surfers are going around the world to seek the perfect wave saw the part about South Africa and the people who lived on the beach. They were natural swimmers and swam their entire lives. And they were black Africans.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #22
mattack

I think you mean "The Endless Summer" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060371/

I'm pretty sure I saw the 90s followup.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #23
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post

As for blacks not being able to swim, I thought it was ironic the the two non-swimmers were black. We have blacks on our Olympic swim team. Of course other countries do also. I think the stereotype actually comes from blacks living in the cities with little or no opportunity to swim. Anybody who has ever watched that famous surf movie that was made in the 60's or 70's where the surfers are going around the world to seek the perfect wave saw the part about South Africa and the people who lived on the beach. They were natural swimmers and swam their entire lives. And they were black Africans.
I only remember the U.S. having one black swimmer this year, Cullen Jones. He almost drowned when he was 5. He has made it his mission to teach blacks to swim because it is actually true, not just a stereotype:

"A study by the University of Memphis and the USA Swimming organization showed that around 70 percent of African-American children don't know how to swim, compared to about 40 percent of white children. African-American children between the ages of five and 14 are three times more likely than other children to drown, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "
http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/...americans?lite
Old 08-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think the fact the two guys that had to get pulled out were body-builders had more to do with their swimming difficulty than the fact they were black. Leila Ali didn't seem to have too much of a problem with it.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #25
sieglinde

It is not a physical problem for blacks just a thing they don't have an opportunity to learn. Leila Ali may have taken swim lessons as a kid.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #26
laria
Librocubicularist

I don't know whether or not the older ex-football guy knew how to swim or not... it seemed like he was just too heavy/too muscular. But there was something last season on The Biggest Loser about Dolvett not being able to swim, so I am not surprised he had to get fished out of the water.

I am always surprised at people who are adults that don't learn to swim before they go on a tv show where they might be put in a position where they have to do so.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
stellie93

I liked the show. Why didn't they practice the jump just like they did the shooting?

If you've killed a bunch of sniper targets you've probably saved a lot of innocent lives. They tend to be bad guys....
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #28
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I liked the show. Why didn't they practice the jump just like they did the shooting?

If you've killed a bunch of sniper targets you've probably saved a lot of innocent lives. They tend to be bad guys....
it was a good show
I really liked it

I also like that they didn't practice the jump

some things need to be done with an element of surprise and the unknown; sure, this is fake combat, but real combat is full of surprises

these stars need to experience stress, panic and fear in order to simulate it as close as possible

and I think its great the sniper is bragging about the number of kills he made;
good for him

there's plenty of shows in The History Channel and Discovery Channel where this kind of stuff is discussed

The Discovery Channel did a series called "Surviving the Cut",
where they profile different training schools: Ranger School, Green Beret School, Sniper School, Marine Recon, US Air Force Pararescue

its a pretty awesome documentary series

1:52 of Special Forces training is pretty funny

Two Weeks in Hell - Part 2/9 -
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Sniper School

Surviving the cut: Army sniper

US Air Force Pararescue

Surviving the Cut - US Air Force Pararescue - Part 1

Ranger School

Surviving the Cut - Ranger School - Part 1

jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #29
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

"Search and Destroy"

So Picabo Street isn't afraid to rappel. What a surprise.

Leila's partner was funny. "My bad, don't punch me."

Terry Crews is an Army Brat, and did the show to honor his dad.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #30
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Was Nick Lachey really going to refuse to jump or was he "acting"? I think they trump up some of these things for drama's sake. Kinda obvious I guess.

Not surprisingly Todd Palin is a really good shot.

I also loved the "don't punch me" line.