Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #61
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
You disagree that they need to find a "nice guy" like Matt? I think no matter what the premise is, the Schmo has to have the same demeanor as Matt. They don't have to actually have bounty hunter skills. It's fake. They aren't really casting a bounty hunter.
What I meant was that a meek, milquetoast type of person is not likely to apply for a reality show about becoming a bounty hunter. It would be funny, but unlikely. You would probably tend to have applicants who are somewhat athletic and assertive. That doesn't preclude also being a nice guy.

Matt was more of a romantic, silly guy who enjoyed basketball and beat-boxing. Actually, as I think more about it, MKG might have been well cast in the bounty hunter show as well.

Still, I'm looking forward to it. I also agree that TJSS mocks reality tv more so than the Schmo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #62
tiams

They might not even conduct an open call casting for the Schmo. Instead of hoping the Schmo comes to them, more than likely they find a few guys they think might be the right type and then only interview and audition those. A large majority of reality show contestants these days are found by casting directors, not open casting calls. Ever notice how many are actors/models/bartenders? My sister is a reality TV producer and director.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #63
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Very little of reality show casting is done with auditions. It's much more about the casting people going out to find the right "types" that will fit within the planned narrative of the show. In this case, they only have to find one guy, and it shouldn't be too difficult to find a nice guy who hasn't heard of TJSS and who fancies himself as a bounty hunter wannabe.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #64
moondoggie

Ralph was talking about it quite a bit yesterday and today on Kevin & Bean on KROQ where he works. Download their podcast if you want to hear more from Ralph.
moondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #65
sieglinde

There are rough tough nice guys. If he is arrogant or anysort of jerk, they probably won't cast him.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #66
Fassade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
There are rough tough nice guys. If he is arrogant or anysort of jerk, they probably won't cast him.
Exactly. TJSS worked so well because it was designed to make you empathize with the Schmo, and MKG was so perfectly likable that you were rooting for him the whole season. If instead they cast a jerk, the audience would root against him, perhaps to the point of being disappointed when he "wins" at the end. That show *maybe* could still work in a mean-spirited way, but it wouldn't be the same TJSS, and I think the producers understand that.
Fassade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #67
Inundated
Face For Radio

Wow!

Oddly enough, I thought about a new JS season just last week, and was wondering if it would ever happen. Didn't nail the bounty hunter stuff or Lorenzo Lamas.

Like others, I'm cautious if Our Man Muggum isn't involved (or Paul Wernick for that matter), but R/W are probably too busy these days. If he signed off on it, that's better, and Ralph as the host...yay!

I'll watch, with a concerned eye.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #68
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Wonderful. Another show where the entire premise is to be an a#@hole to somebody so we can all laugh at him.
You certainly did not watch the original.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #69
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

After all of these years, Ralph Garman still looks great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2BJ-Pc9sTU&t=7m29s

I'm looking forward to this, although I will miss muggum and the interaction we had with him here.
TIVOSciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #70
Amnesia
The Question

Premiere scheduled for 8 January on Spike.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #71
wendiness1
WiiMomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
You certainly did not watch the original.
No kidding. It's NOTHING like that.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #72
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
What, did the casting director get on the first plane to Pittsburgh, given that city's success in "Joe Schmo" history?

Sure enough, like MKG and like Amanda "Jane Schmo 2" Naughton, 2013's "Joe" is from the Burgh:

Quote:
Chase Rogan is an all around good guy. This 28-year-old Pennsylvania native and sports fanatic lives in Pittsburgh with his wife. A certified professional agronomist, he owns and operates his own business, PureTurf Consulting, LLC. Always up for a good time and adventure, Chase willingly submitted a casting video of himself to be on a new competition reality show.
Chase's bio, from his business, is here. No word about wanting to be a professional bounty hunter.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #73
Tracy
Truly

I'm excited to see how this turns out.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #74
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Add a ton of minutes on either end. It's a crapshoot if I get GameTrailers.tv recorded, and I nuked a bunch of my recordings of the GT Academy show since I realized I didn't have enough padding at the end and missed a couple minutes of most of them.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #75
marksman
ID-10-T

Looking forward to it... I heard Reese, I believe, on Alison Rosen's podcast talking about it, and they said they were too busy with other projects to be involved with it but were fully supportive, as someone mentioned above.

Joe Schmoe season 1 and The Mole season 1 are the two best seasons of reality tv of all time.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #76
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Add a ton of minutes on either end. It's a crapshoot if I get GameTrailers.tv recorded, and I nuked a bunch of my recordings of the GT Academy show since I realized I didn't have enough padding at the end and missed a couple minutes of most of them.
Agreed. I've got 5 extra minutes on my recordings of GT Academy and it wasn't enough on one of them.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #77
BrettStah

Ugh, that sounds annoying - probably won't be an issue with the 5-tuner DVR (now that I know about their scheduling problems), but this is one of the things that can make people not bother watching a show, or make them get it via "alternate means".

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #78
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
What in the world are you talking about?

I believe the linked announcement says Spike will have full episodes online.

Sure enough:

Quote:
Character and actor biographies, photo galleries, blog posts, full episodes and video exclusives can be found on Spike's dedicated "Joe Schmo" destination online at joeschmo.spike.com.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #79
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
What in the world are you talking about?
Spike TV only uses their schedule as a VAGUE estimation of when the show will air.

I have to add 5 minutes pre + post to GameTrailers.tv to HOPE to get the entire show recorded (admittedly, it's almost always LATE, but very very rarely has started EARLIER than scheduled). Same with GT Academy, which I nuked most of because the recordings weren't complete.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #80
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
I have to add 5 minutes pre + post to GameTrailers.tv to HOPE to get the entire show recorded (admittedly, it's almost always LATE, but very very rarely has started EARLIER than scheduled). Same with GT Academy, which I nuked most of because the recordings weren't complete.
Oh. I don't know those shows, because I've only watched Spike TV when "Joe Schmo" and its related/similar follow-on shows have aired.

I'll probably watch online. I actually don't have Spike right now.

Watching online sure beats calling hotel rooms and asking "do you have 'Spike TV' in your TV lineup? How about 'TNN' or 'Nashville Network'?"
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #81
Inundated
Face For Radio

Chase Rogan's wedding:

http://www.goerie.com/article/201203...er-Chase-Rogan

Not gonna be hard to find out stuff about THIS "Joe"...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #82
Inundated
Face For Radio

Rob Owen at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on the Burgh's third "Schmo":

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-schmo-665681/
Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #83
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Saw the preview. I'm not sure how I feel.

There really is no mistaking Ralph's voice, though.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #84
minorthr
Your Ad here

Just saw the preview. So awesome I can not wait.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #85
Inundated
Face For Radio

I'm going in with an open mind. I don't expect this to be as bad as "My Obnoxious Fiance" or whatever it was called (which was run by TJSS veteran Danny Salles), but Rhett and Paul aren't there to pull 'em back from the ledge.

Hopefully, J. Holland Moore learned well.

I currently don't have unfettered access to Spike TV, but full episodes will be online.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #86
Inundated
Face For Radio

The hometown paper (Erie [PA]) on Chase Rogan and "Joe Schmo":

http://www.goerie.com/article/201212...-Christmas-joy

Quote:
Spike TV's "The Joe Schmo Show," which returns to the air Jan. 8 at 10 p.m., will star Lawrenceville's Chase Rogan, 28, as the latest "schmo." Rogan is married to Erie native and Mercyhurst Prep graduate Taylor Baker, who once reigned as Miss Pennsylvania Teen. It's an outlandish reality show which features actors such as Lorenzo Lamas. Rogan, an agronomist whose clients include golf courses, is a Saegertown native.
Lawrenceville is a Pittsburgh neighborhood, well to the northeast of Mt. Lebanon, MKG's home area...
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #87
Inundated
Face For Radio

I wonder if Matt still remembers his TCF password, and is aware of the new show...and how he feels about it...
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #88
Langree
The Gimp

Starts tonight 1/8!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #89
Inundated
Face For Radio

Unsubscribing from this thread temporarily, no live Spike TV here...but will watch online whenever they put it up.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #90
drumorgan
a "dry" funny

this was the show that brought me to TCF in the first place ten years ago. just happened to stumble upon it tonight. yay