<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Agreed.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #32
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
Ah, gotcha... sort of strange, unless the shows are mean-spirited. In the case of Candid Camera and The Joe Schmo Show, they weren't mean-spirited - people laugh at the end, and are happy they were a part of it.
I wonder if unbeliever is a bit like myself. I have an overactive empathy center - I'm *extremely* uncomfortable watching anything where the "victim" is being laughed at, or is generally not in on the joke.

Basically, I would *never* want to be on a show like this, so I'm uncomfortable watching anyone else on it. I don't care how "good natured" you claim the show is. In the end, you have an unsuspecting individual being the brunt of one giant joke.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #33
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar

I wonder if unbeliever is a bit like myself. I have an overactive empathy center - I'm *extremely* uncomfortable watching anything where the "victim" is being laughed at, or is generally not in on the joke.

Basically, I would *never* want to be on a show like this, so I'm uncomfortable watching anyone else on it. I don't care how "good natured" you claim the show is. In the end, you have an unsuspecting individual being the brunt of one giant joke.
So, you feel the same about Candid Camera as well?

Until today I hadn't heard of anyone who disliked Candid Camera for that reason. But then again, it's not like I'm going around questioning people about it!

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #34
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
So, you feel the same about Candid Camera as well?
Yes. I'm embarrassed on behalf of the victim -- even if they may not be.

Call it a side-effect of being the brunt of considerable ridicule, much of it behind my back, throughout my childhood/young adult life.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #35
59er
TiVotee

One of the reasons I came away loving the original season of this show is because of how well they treated Matt in the end, and how he took it. Oh, plus Kristen Wiig!
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #36
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
One of the reasons I came away loving the original season of this show is because of how well they treated Matt in the end, and how he took it. Oh, plus Kristen Wiig!
Yeah, but there's a whole season before that point that I wouldn't want to watch.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #37
cheerdude
Reed &amp;amp;amp; Juliet's CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude View Post
On Twitter, Rhett has said that he isn't Executive Producer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Somewhat less excited now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
Agreed.
Per the JS2 FB page, previous EPs gave their blessings for a JS3 and stopped by the set at one point.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #38
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude View Post
Per the JS2 FB page, previous EPs gave their blessings for a JS3 and stopped by the set at one point.
Hm. I'll give it a chance. But I'm sad.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #39
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I actually agree with you in SOME situations -- like crank call shows (radio or TV), and when Letterman used to have Rupert go out and act like a crazy man and bug people..

But in this circumstance & things like Candid Camera, it's amusing.

Guess you also didn't watch/like "My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss".
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #40
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
I figured Garman would be playing himself, as the host.
If he plays himself, mightn't the victim recognize him and guess that it's fake?

Pretty big risk to take, unless the victim is in on it too.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #41
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Guess you also didn't watch/like "My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss".
Didn't watch, wouldn't like.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #42
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Wonderful. Another show where the entire premise is to be an a#@hole to somebody so we can all laugh at him.

--Carlos V.
But they really weren't mean to him. And he made a lot of money. But I do get what you are saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Not buying it - Garman is recognizable in any disguise.
They only need 1 person who doesn't know him from The Joe Schmo show. He can be recognized for anything other thing and it won't matter. If the "victim" knows Garman is famous it will lend credibility to the fake show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plateau10 View Post
Damn, this is the first time since I pulled the plug that I've felt I'm missing something. I need to check if Spike typically offers their stuff on Amazon or elsewhere.
Me too. I cut the cord so I will have to find it elsewhere. Maybe Spike replays episodes on it's website. Lifetime, MTV and others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

I usually feel very uncomfortable for the reasons you said also. But with Joe Schmo, someone got me to watch the first episode and I was hooked immediately. I think Matt Gould has said he came away with some negative feelings that persisted a long time.

Quote:
If he plays himself, mightn't the victim recognize him and guess that it's fake?
Not many people saw Joe Schmo and it would be easy enough to find out if any potential victim had beforehand.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #43
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:

We'll, they've already filmed it and it's going to air, so presumably it worked out. (Or the Joe guessed it at the very end.)

Of course, "figuring it out" has happened, in Joe Schmo 2. That second season featured two Joes at the same time in a dating show format, and one of them, Ingrid (ah, Ingrid!), figured it out very early. The show decided to come clean with her and offered to her stay on as part of the cast if she wanted, which she did.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #44
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I have no idea who this Garman person is. I can't be the only one. There must be people like me who don't have a clue who he is AND actually want to be on some reality TV show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #45
Tracy
Truly

Here is an article about it on Reality Blurred.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realit...14_return-2013
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #46
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Not many people saw Joe Schmo and it would be easy enough to find out if any potential victim had beforehand.
Not sure how they could find that out for sure. If I was looking to get on a show, I could easily act like I'd never seen JS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I have no idea who this Garman person is. I can't be the only one. There must be people like me who don't have a clue who he is AND actually want to be on some reality TV show.
I was referring to people who had seen JS before. I realize that it wouldn't be hard to find a contestant who hadn't seen it, but how could they know for sure?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #47
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy

Not sure how they could find that out for sure. If I was looking to get on a show, I could easily act like I'd never seen JS.

I was referring to people who had seen JS before. I realize that it wouldn't be hard to find a contestant who hadn't seen it, but how could they know for sure?
"Hello, Applicant for our reality show. Thank you for participating in our background screening questionnaire. To help determine whether you are an appropriate fit for our show, we are interested in your opinion of certain other reality offerings. Please rate the following 30 shows using a 5 point scale, 5 being "really enjoyed it" and 1 being "didn't like it all". If there is a show you are unfamiliar with, simply strike through it.

1. Survivor
2. The Apprentice
3. Celebrity Apprentice
4. My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss
5. Big Brother
19. The Joe Schmoe Show
30. The Surreal Life"

Then they only choose amongst the people who struck number 19.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #48
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Excited to hear about this. Bummed that Rhett isn't involved, but I'm sure the new producers will do a good job, too. I'll definitely be watching.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #49
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:

1. The casting call is spread out nationwide. Remember that Matt Gould was cast from Philly and sent to CA. Not everybody knows of Garman in Eastern markets.

2. When a contestant applies for a reality show which may be presented as something else (e.g., "Lap of Luxury" instead of the original "Joe Schmo Show"), successful applicants are separated from actual reality (cell phones, internet, entertainment tabloids, etc.) and immersed into that world for the duration of the taping of the show. So they cannot research backgrounds of other people during the taping of the show.

3. Reality shows are known to have hosts and hostesses who are known (e.g., Jenny McCarthy recently hosted "Love in the Wild"). It's irrelevant whether they knew that Garman played bit parts in "NYPD Blue" or other shows.

4. "Joe Schmo" was last aired 9 years ago. If they cast someone who is 21 years old, then they were only 12 when it was originally aired on Spike. Chances are extremely slim that a 12 year old was watching the show on a brand new cable channel.

Last edited by getreal : 08-15-2012 at 01:05 PM.
getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #50
aindik

Quote:
Only if the victim recognizes him from Joe Schmo. If the victim recognizes him from other things, there's no reason to believe he's not hosting a real reality show.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #51
tiams

I vaguely remember watching a show where they told contestants they were auditioning to be on a reality show when in fact the auditions were the show. What I clearly remember is that they were asked to eat human flesh and shockingly at least one did. Anyone remember this? Maybe it was a psychology experiment I watched for a class or something.

Now I'm remembering it was a hidden camera type show.

Last edited by tiams : 08-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #52
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
"Hello, Applicant for our reality show. Thank you for participating in our background screening questionnaire. To help determine whether you are an appropriate fit for our show, we are interested in your opinion of certain other reality offerings. Please rate the following 30 shows using a 5 point scale, 5 being "really enjoyed it" and 1 being "didn't like it all". If there is a show you are unfamiliar with, simply strike through it.

1. Survivor
2. The Apprentice
3. Celebrity Apprentice
4. My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss
5. Big Brother
19. The Joe Schmoe Show
30. The Surreal Life"

Then they only choose amongst the people who struck number 19.
Right.. They don't say "we are casting for Joe Schmo 3"

Just like when they cast for Joe Schmo 1, they didn't actually say they were casting for a fake reality show where everyone is in on a joke except one guy.

Besides, there aer so many frigging reality shows out there, even those that DO watch a lot of them one remember every single cast member.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #53
getreal
postcrastinator

I just saw a preview clip and it looks great! Garman looks different from other times he has hosted TJSS1 and TJSS2. Lorenzo Lamas is believable as himself. The fake elimination ceremony is just as over-the-top as past shows. I'm looking forward to this.

With the insanity of reality tv characters since TJSS, this show fits in perfectly. Almost ALL reality shows cultivate the WORST in human behavior for entertainment purposes. People who have literally grown up in the culture of reality television have an idea of what they are getting into.

Ever since "Survivor" begat the era of reality tv, there is now an entire generation of young adults whose earliest memories of television include "reality tv" and all of the terrible role models they have spawned.

Last edited by getreal : 08-15-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #54
sieglinde

The critical part of a show like this is the "Schmo". I remember the first Joe Schmo show and the Schmo was such a nice guy and a good sport. The second one also had good Schmos but it just wasn't as good for some reason. The Schmo is the critical link to the entire thing. I will watch the first episode and the Schmo had better be good.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #55
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
The critical part of a show like this is the "Schmo". I remember the first Joe Schmo show and the Schmo was such a nice guy and a good sport. The second one also had good Schmos but it just wasn't as good for some reason. The Schmo is the critical link to the entire thing. I will watch the first episode and the Schmo had better be good.
I think they just lucked out with Matt Gould. He was perfect for the Schmo because he was such a nice, sincere guy. Now they know what qualities to look for in a schmo so hopefully they got a good one. All they had to do was search for a new Matt Gould. BTW, I wonder if he is reading this thread. I would like to hear his thoughts. I know he has posted in the actual Joe Schmo thread.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #56
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Just like when they cast for Joe Schmo 1, they didn't actually say they were casting for a fake reality show where everyone is in on a joke except one guy.
Well, they WOULD have sent that sort of notice to everybody EXCEPT the mark (MKG). All of the actors which comprised the rest of the cast had to have been cast that way.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #57
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Well, they WOULD have sent that sort of notice to everybody EXCEPT the mark (MKG). All of the actors which comprised the rest of the cast had to have been cast that way.
Totally different casting process for actors than for schmos.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #58
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I think they just lucked out with Matt Gould. He was perfect for the Schmo because he was such a nice, sincere guy. Now they know what qualities to look for in a schmo so hopefully they got a good one. All they had to do was search for a new Matt Gould.
I disagree! The theme of this show is about bounty hunters, so they needed to cast someone rough and tough who is prepared for situations that bounty hunters encounter. The other iterations of TJSS were about finding love in a Bachelor(ette)-style show, and staying in the "Lap of Luxury". This one would be more like "Operation Repo".

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #59
markb

Yeah, Matt came off looking like such a good guy. And I don't think the show was really making fun of him at all. It was making fun of the reality TV genre. Never did they make Matt look like a fool.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #60
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I disagree! The theme of this show is about bounty hunters, so they needed to cast someone rough and tough who is prepared for situations that bounty hunters encounter. The other iterations of TJSS were about finding love in a Bachelor(ette)-style show, and staying in the "Lap of Luxury". This one would be more like "Operation Repo".
You disagree that they need to find a "nice guy" like Matt? I think no matter what the premise is, the Schmo has to have the same demeanor as Matt. They don't have to actually have bounty hunter skills. It's fake. They aren't really casting a bounty hunter.