TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #91
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

I could be remembering wrong, but here's my theory.

Walt said they were going for 900 gallons of methylblahblah.
Walt then did the math to figure how much water they'd need to get the weight of the tanker back to what it was.

They then made a point of showing the counter stopping at 1,000 gallons if not more, along with multiple shots of Mike trying to get them to stop pumping.

This will become a plot point when the tanker ends up at it's destination a couple hundred pounds under what it's supposed to be.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #92
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
I could be remembering wrong, but here's my theory.

Walt said they were going for 900 gallons of methylblahblah.
Walt then did the math to figure how much water they'd need to get the weight of the tanker back to what it was.

They then made a point of showing the counter stopping at 1,000 gallons if not more, along with multiple shots of Mike trying to get them to stop pumping.

This will become a plot point when the tanker ends up at it's destination a couple hundred pounds under what it's supposed to be.

phox
They were going to take 1,000 gallons of methylamine, and replace it with 934 (or some such exact number) gallons worth of water. Walt even accounted for spillage and what would be left in the hoses when he came up with the amount of water. They pulled off the switch exactly as they planed to.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #93
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

methylwhatamacallit is lighter than water so they wanted 1000 gallons of it and were replacing it with 900 something gallons of water.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #94
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Don't forget to open a port
and refresh the hard drives while you're at it.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #95
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
They were going to take 1,000 gallons of methylamine, and replace it with 934 (or some such exact number) gallons worth of water. Walt even accounted for spillage and what would be left in the hoses when he came up with the amount of water. They pulled off the switch exactly as they planed to.
So I was remembering it backwards.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #96
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
924.something (3, I think) and he rounded it up to 925 to account for spillage and what's left in the hose (I think I remember that correctly - I'm sure someone will chime in to tell me I'm wrong.).
Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #97
Mikeyis4dcats

900.24 Iirc
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #98
Hank
AC•FTW

Ok, I'll buy that Walt was waiting for the correct amount of methyl/water to be pumped in/out of the tanks instead of what I originally thought that Heisenberg was going for just filling the methlymine tank to capacity. That make more sense. I'm back to liking Walt better now,thanks!

I don't think anything will ever be found (on the show) relating to the hidden tanks or the diluted methlyamine.

Also, I suppose they could buy/borrow/steal their own tanker trunk to store the methlyamine locally so there's no evidence left in the desert. They can just drive it to the tent lab and draw only as much as they need instead of dragging a 55gal drum everywhere.

Also, I like the idea above about laying out extra hose in case the railcar was further away.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #99
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
and refresh the hard drives while you're at it.
Dammit!!
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #100
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
... So if Hank is suddenly suspicious about Walt buying himself a $5,000 watch, that's unrealistic, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I think we might be thinking too much about the watch by itself.
As I had originally suggested, the watch will be critical in connecting the dots between Jesse and Walt. Later. Hank does not (yet) have any suspicions about Walt. But the watch is distinctive, and they made a point of having Walt showing it to Hank and him commenting about it. Chekhov's gun. It was done for a reason, and it will become evident later in the show. Period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #101
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal

As I had originally suggested, the watch will be critical in connecting the dots between Jesse and Walt. Later. Hank does not (yet) have any suspicions about Walt. But the watch is distinctive, and they made a point of having Walt showing it to Hank and him commenting about it. Chekhov's gun. It was done for a reason, and it will become evident later in the show. Period.
I generally don't subscribe to suppositions like this, but they've called out the watch a few more times that makes it stand out, so yes I think the watch will play some minor part of Walt's downfall.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #102
getreal
postcrastinator

Just watched the opening scene for the season premiere. Walt has no wedding band or watch, different glasses, hair and a full beard. I wonder if he faked his own death in order to return to ABQ and seek revenge on Mike?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #103
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not a chemist, nor well versed in physics, but if water is heavier than the methylamine, were they dealing in amounts small enough in ratio to the entire tanker car and in a small enough time frame, that they would not be diluting the methylamine they were taking from the bottom of the car by running water into the top of it at the same time?

And if they do leave the tanks there and draw from it as they need it, does the effect of the time over which they draw and the changing temperatures in that area of AZ (night versus day, etc.) have any real effect on the 'purity' or concentration of the methylamine? I can't imagine that stuff would 'spoil'?
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #104
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Just when I thought this show was running out of steam... BOOM!

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #105
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I'm not a chemist, nor well versed in physics, but if water is heavier than the methylamine, were they dealing in amounts small enough in ratio to the entire tanker car and in a small enough time frame, that they would not be diluting the methylamine they were taking from the bottom of the car by running water into the top of it at the same time?
It was a 24,000 gallon tanker, and they were putting in about 900 gallons of water, so even if the water did mix with the rest quickly enough to affect what they were drawing out, it would only be diluted around 4%. I'm sure Walt can deal with that in his recipe.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #106
mooseAndSquirrel

I got the impression that the wheels were turning for Walt that Lydia could help solve the Mike problem rather than the other way around. She knows the 9. Plenty of Ricin to go around. And she's a critical part of the supply chain. Maybe he's now thinking Todd could be the new muscle. Walt seems to process new challenges quickly. So... Bummer, the kid is dead, what do I do now?
mooseAndSquirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #107
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Would Mike have just up and shot the kid like that? I wonder if Walt, Jessie and Mike even knew Todd had a gun. Walt does seem to process and adapt to new challenges quickly and I think Jessie is learning to also, but it shows itself in different ways.

Getting the stuff from the train was a great idea but I wonder if Lydia thought they could even really pull it off. Maybe she thought of it as a set up to get her off her back if they were caught.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #108
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Getting the stuff from the train was a great idea but I wonder if Lydia thought they could even really pull it off. Maybe she thought of it as a set up to get her off her back if they were caught.
Lydia knows she is in deep, and implicated with these guys. She has been on the precipice a couple of times now, and has managed to talk her way out. But she has also tried to make people die, so she had "broken bad" before we first met her. I'd say that her fate is sealed, but who knows what twists are in store?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #109
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

That was another great episode. The whole train thing was awesome..

Does anyone get that feeling that Hank knows about Walt already?
Tyrion The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #110
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion The Imp View Post
...Does anyone get that feeling that Hank knows about Walt already?
It's beginning to seem that way....his comments about "keeping" their daughter, etc...make it sound like he's becoming increasingly suspicious.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #111
Gary McCoy

You can speculate about how closely the story arc will emulate Scarface and whether or not the version emulated will be the 1932 original (Chicago Mob) or the 1989 Brian DePalma remake (Cuban gangsters). But the main story arc in both has the main character gaining power at the cost of family, and then striking out against all his enemies in an over-the-top attack. It's one of the basic themes from The Godfather films, as well.

Buit I'm not speculating. I just like to have a new episode in the TiVo, and my remote in hand. I like the Dolby Digital sound we have been treated to lately, and the cinematography has been uniformly excellant. This is a well-crafted production, made from excellant scripts.

Just this week in the scene where Jesse is on the tracks after replacing the pipe cap, the surround sound had the train wheels sounding as if they were rolling through the room. If you don't have surround, you are missing part of the experience.

Last edited by Gary McCoy : 08-14-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Gary McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #112
mchasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion The Imp View Post
That was another great episode. The whole train thing was awesome..

Does anyone get that feeling that Hank knows about Walt already?
Hmm, that's an interesting thought, but I'm thinking that if he did know, or even had some pretty strong suspicions, he would have confronted Walt. Maybe told him something like "Look, I'm not sure this is you, but if you know anything about blue meth, we're getting close. If you just stop, I'll make sure it dies out", or maybe even just started dropping hints that they're getting close.

I'm pretty sure it's going to happen at some point, but I don't think we're there yet.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #113
SeanC
ECT

I don't think there is any way Hank compromises an investigation for Walt. Even if Walt was his blood brother my impression of Hank as a DEA agent is that he wouldn't like it, but he would follow the trail and not warn him.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #114
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I watched the ep in two parts so by the time the ending rolled around I had completely and totally forgotten about the kid.

HOLY CRAP.

Love this show.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #115
VegasVic
Craps Player

If Hank doesn't warn him and busts him then his career is over. If he warns Walt then perhaps he saves his career. It will be interesting to see which way it goes as we all assume Hank will find out at some point. But who knows, maybe Hank stays in the dark until the very end.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #116
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I don't think there is any way Hank compromises an investigation for Walt. Even if Walt was his blood brother my impression of Hank as a DEA agent is that he wouldn't like it, but he would follow the trail and not warn him.
I don't think Hank would do it for Walt, but I do think Hank would do it for Hank. If/when Walt is caught, whether it's by Hank or by anyone else, Hank's career is over. I can see Hank agreeing to some sort of deal where he will look the other way (maybe officially conclude that Heisenberg is dead) if Walt stops cooking/selling. I don't think Hank would like that at all, but it could be his best option.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #117
TheMerk
Always Bid First

I found it interesting that the "Previously on AMC's Breaking Bad" made note of Hank saying they were working on putting a tail on Mike.

That didn't come up in the context of this episode, and the Previously On usually only deals with things that are specifically needed to understand the episode you are about to watch.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #118
VegasVic
Craps Player

Interesting. Much like I never watch previews for next week I also don't watch the "previously on" because often it can foretell too much of what's about to happen or at least which direction the episode is going to go.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #119
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't see why the watch is such a big deal. It's not like we're talking about a $100,000 watch that there's no way Walt could realistically afford. I just looked it up and that watch costs about $4-5k. Sure, it's expensive. But Walt and Skylar just finished paying for a ton of Hank's medical bills. They just bought a million-dollar business. And Walt just bought himself and his son brand new cars. So if Hank is suddenly suspicious about Walt buying himself a $5,000 watch, that's unrealistic, IMO.
I think the watch stands out because it is a big purchase. Most people would consider a $5000 watch extravagent. Hank doesn't know about the medical bills and I don't know he knows how much the car wash was and the cars were explained as leases.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #120
robojerk

I forget, when Walter and Skylar laid out that lie about Walter's "gambling problem", was it just a cover to help explain away the purchase of the car wash, or did they include that they were also helping to pay for Hank's medical bills too?