Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Breaking Bad S05E05 "Dead Freight" OAD 08/12/12

Holy sh*t. What an ending! I never, ever would have seen that coming.

I loved the methylamine heist, although I don't see how the train dudes could have missed the sound of the gas generator used to run the pump.

Overall, a good "season 5" episode

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
I absolutely love that Jesse has become the 'idea man' of the operation. Who knew?
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Aniketos

So Landry is a serial killer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
Holy sh*t. What an ending! I never, ever would have seen that coming.
As soon as I saw that kid I was like well he's going to die.
Aniketos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
BradJW

Who did Lydia call towards the end of the episode?
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
I absolutely love that Jesse has become the 'idea man' of the operation. Who knew?
Also the conscience of the group.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
I loved the methylamine heist, although I don't see how the train dudes could have missed the sound of the gas generator used to run the pump.
Their loco was still running and the generater was 814 feet away, so it likely wouldn't be heard over the drone of the loco.

Now I'm starting to dislike Walt for jeapordizing the entire operation just to get to 10,000 gallons of methylamine. I'm sure 9000 would have been just fine giving everyone time to detach and close up the tank.

The problem I now see is what do that do with the little kid? They can't leave him there since the fuzz could easily find the methylamine tanks and evidence of a heist. So they're going to have to do something about that.

And Todd? Wow... he really wants to be part of this crew. Now they have no choice but to bring him in. I think that's a good move in the long run to have more muscle like Mike around willing to do the dirty work.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
She called Walt - presumably to tell him which train car the methylamine was in - although it seems like they already knew, or they just got really lucky that the car they needed ended up on the bridge.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
Before the heist? She was calling Mike/Walt to tell them which tanker had the methylamine. ICBW, but I don't remember her calling anyone after that.

ETA: Yeah, that was 100% pure luck that the tanker was so close to the bridge. And the position of the tanker was the stopping proper distance to the front of the train and the stalled truck.

Although I suppose they could have come up with some other ruse to stop the train further down the track if they needed.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Their loco was still running and the generater was 814 feet away, so it likely wouldn't be heard over the drone of the loco.

Now I'm starting to dislike Walt for jeapordizing the entire operation just to get to 10,000 gallons of methylamine. I'm sure 9000 would have been just fine giving everyone time to detach and close up the tank.

The problem I now see is what do that do with the little kid? They can't leave him there since the fuzz could easily find the methylamine tanks and evidence of a heist. So they're going to have to do something about that.

And Todd? Wow... he really wants to be part of this crew. Now they have no choice but to bring him in. I think that's a good move in the long run to have more muscle like Mike around willing to do the dirty work.
Now what about the kid? Someone is going to miss him, they'll send out a search party, which will lead to either a body or the in ground tanks or the 'good' samaritan, who will recount the events of the truck 'stalled' on the tracks, which will lead to the truck driver, it just goes on and on. Poor kid, poor Walt and crew. The end is in sight.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
Now what about the kid? Someone is going to miss him, they'll send out a search party, which will lead to either a body or the in ground tanks or the 'good' samaritan, who will recount the events of the truck 'stalled' on the tracks, which will lead to the truck driver, it just goes on and on. Poor kid, poor Walt and crew. The end is in sight.
Not if they dump the body somewhere totally unrelated.

Very shocking ending.

And it's pretty brilliant of them to cast the guy from Friday Night Lights. I was totally expecting him to be a "good guy." Just because, so far, that's the kind of role he's played.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
VegasVic
Craps Player

I didn't see that ending coming either. Great episode
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm thinking the kid gets buried in the holes they've already excavated for the tanks. I assume they'll have to take the tanks out of the ground to remove evidence of the heist.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Great episode.

They're setting up Hank and Marie to be good parents for Holly once Walt and Skyler are gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
danterner
Not it!

In the one hand, I was on the edge of my seat and thoroughly entertained throughout the episode. On the other, as I watched the mechanics of the heist (the timing, the tools needed, hooking up the tubes, etc), I couldn't help but be taken out of the moment by how wildly unrealistic it was, surpassing even the Great Magnet Caper. Jessie knew exactly what to do under the tanker as though it was old hat. Everything went off like clockwork in a satisfying yet credulity-straining way. It was as though it had been planned, prepped, and rehearsed over months, rather than part of a week. So far this season we've seen the magnet mission, the great train robbery, and the AED; all which shouldn't have worked the way they did but which seem to be there for sheer storytelling and entertainment purposes. Not that I'm complaining, necessarily; as I said, I was very entertained. It just seems like these types of moments have been served up at a rapid clip of late.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
SeanC
ECT

I mention these things only because I agree with danterner and they stand out to me. They do not however cause me any issues with enjoying the show.

Sooooooooooooooooo Lydia didn't plant the GPS. Fine. I gotta say though that other DEA office has some ****ty effing GPS equipment.

The dirt they kept kicking into the tanks

The little pump that could, ie, the water pump. It appeared that Walt didn't start the water pump until he had a certain amount of methylamine, which they explained in the show, the less dense methylamine, fine, but I'm supposed to believe that the little water pump could pump as much water up 30 vertical feet as opposed to the methylamine flowing down?

The shot that killed the kid. The way they showed that was fine story telling, but only the very very best handgun sharpshooters can make a shot like that.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I mention these things only because I agree with danterner and they stand out to me. They do not however cause me any issues with enjoying the show.

Sooooooooooooooooo Lydia didn't plant the GPS. Fine. I gotta say though that other DEA office has some ****ty effing GPS equipment.

The little pump that could, ie, the water pump. It appeared that Walt didn't start the water pump until he had a certain amount of methylamine, which they explained in the show, the less dense methylamine, fine, but I'm supposed to believe that the little water pump could pump as much water up 30 vertical feet as opposed to the methylamine flowing down?

The shot that killed the kid. The way they showed that was fine story telling, but only the very very best handgun sharpshooters can make a shot like that.
The dirt in the pump bothered me too, but thinking about it, it's possible the tank had an outershell and an innershell (with a much smaller hole). The dirt may have falled on the inner shell, but still not have gone in the tank.

Otherwise, that's 1000 gallons wasted.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
It's 1000 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story Sync

graphic: by the numbers

the train robbery
Tank Capacity: 24,000 Gallons (equivalent of average home swimming pool)
Amount of Methylamine to be Stolen: 1,000 gallons
Replacement Water: 920 gallons
Yield: 74,000 lbs meth
Cash Equivalent: $296 million
Value of the 1963 Great Train Robbery: $58 million
http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-...on-5-episode-5
I thought they had planned to come back and use the tank for refills when needs but they can use Todd's tankler truck to get all 1000 gallons out and put the kid in the hole.

With all of the planning, Walt didn't bring a chem mask?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 08-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:

I have a real Garmin tracker. It has to have a view of the sky and it can only update its location about every 15 minutes if you want the battery to last a couple of days.

It's also a lot smaller than the one they showed. About the size of a pack of gum.

(My dog managed to dump the $150 thing somewhere in the back yard.)
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
SeanC
ECT

Oh, hey, for comparisons sake, how many gallons were the barrels in the warehouse? 60?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That's 1,000 gallons. The last digit on the meter is tenths of a gallon.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
mostman

Quote:
I thought the same thing. At first I figured they would explain it away as the tank having a screen or in a later episode they'll show Walt filtering out the dirt (couldn't you just pump from the top and the sand will sink?).

However, they seemed to be making a point of showing it - multiple times - and thats three of us that noticed it. This might be a plot point. I wonder if they will find the dirt in the watered down shipment.

The last scene was flat out amazing. Old school Breaking Bad right there. The spider in the jar just adding to the anguish and sadness of the scene. Walt and Jesse told the guy "nobody can know" so they can't blame him for making sure of that!

On another point, this will be the end of Jesse's cooperation I think. He has been disagreeing with Walt and Mike all season about the violence and now a kids blood is on his hands. Turning point for his character I bet.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
SeanC
ECT

The tanks in the ground seemed like a waste of time to me. Why not have 2 tanker trucks and go directly from the truck tank to the train tank?

The only good reason I can think of was they wouldn't want the trucks to be seen by the guys on the train. Ok, I can understand that, but I bet they could have parked them directly under the tracks and been completely invisible.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #23
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
In the one hand, I was on the edge of my seat and thoroughly entertained throughout the episode. On the other, as I watched the mechanics of the heist (the timing, the tools needed, hooking up the tubes, etc), I couldn't help but be taken out of the moment by how wildly unrealistic it was, surpassing even the Great Magnet Caper. Jessie knew exactly what to do under the tanker as though it was old hat. Everything went off like clockwork in a satisfying yet credulity-straining way. It was as though it had been planned, prepped, and rehearsed over months, rather than part of a week. So far this season we've seen the magnet mission, the great train robbery, and the AED; all which shouldn't have worked the way they did but which seem to be there for sheer storytelling and entertainment purposes. Not that I'm complaining, necessarily; as I said, I was very entertained. It just seems like these types of moments have been served up at a rapid clip of late.
Those kind of tank cars are pretty standard. They could have gone to any tank car spotted anywhere on a track and learned everything they needed to know in about 10 minutes. Unused tank cars are spotted on storage tracks in many places. And, the adapter for that kind of hose is a standard adapter for tank cars, from what I've seen.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
mostman

Quote:
Oh, hey, for comparisons sake, how many gallons were the barrels in the warehouse? 60?
I would assume they were your standard 50 gallon drum. So, they just got 20 barrels worth.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
BB is not supposed to be a "realistic' show so if you are looking for things to all line up in a way that could/would happen in real life the show will disappoint. Vince Gilligan has stated in interviews that it is hyper realistic story telling.

They are going for over the top jaw dropping stories.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #26
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
It's entirely possible that the kid's body won't be found. Maybe the tarantula in the jar will be found. What they should do is drive the kid into Mexico down that secret dirt road so it gets chalked up as one more Mexican drug cartel killing.

The end is sight with Jesse and Mike bugging out of the "Empire."

Hank's DEA office is going to have an IT Pro spotting the Ethernet dongle on his PC, then they'll sweep for the bug, and Hank will remember that Walt had the picture in his hands... (Look close. Hank had a USB key logger on his PC already.)

...and then Walt's riches with the car wash, the cars and the watch, and Skyler not loving him, saying he's a bad father (thinking he's putting the kids at risk.)

With that Hank is going to figure it out.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 08-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
It's entirely possible that the kid's body won't be found. Maybe the tarantula in the jar will be found. What they should do is drive the kid into Mexico so down that secret dirt road so it gets chalked up as one more Mexican drug cartel killing.

The end is sight with Jesse and Mike bugging out of the "Empire."

Hank's DEA office is going to have an IT Pro spotting the Ethernet dongle on his PC, then they'll sweep for the bug, and Hank will remember that Walt had the picture in his hands... (Look close. Hank had a USB key logger on his PC already.)

...and then Walt's riches with the car wash, the cars and the watch, and Skyler not loving him, saying he's a bad father (thinking he's putting the kids at risk.)

With that Hank is going to figure it out.
And then Hank will die.

Last edited by BradJW : 08-13-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #28
Hank
AC•FTW

I think off-screen Walt would return to Hank's office to remove the network dongle. And the bug's battery will drain pretty quickly. How often do you think the IT people are going to be messing with Hank's PC if it's working fine?

I liked how they made that part realistic believable.

I'm also OK with the great train robbery except for getting their tanker to stop right over the bridge. If it were one or two cars away, I doubt they had enough hose and pump power to do the swap.

I can see why Mike is around to keep the 'legacy pay' flowing, but why is Jesse still hanging around Walt? He's got plenty of money, he could just disappear. Maybe as stated above Mike and Jesse will split, and it will be down to Walt and Todd -- two seriously messed up dudes.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #29
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
The only real problem I have with the train is that it could not have possibly stopped in the distance from where the engineer saw the truck and the guy waving. Especially with full freight and tank cars.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Walt made it very clear that nobody else could know about the heist or the tanks in the ground. Todd was just doing as he was told.

So you'd expect someone would know roughly where the kid was going to ride. So when he doesn't come home, and they go looking for him, they're going to find the buried tanks. So it seems Walt and crew have to get the tanks out of there ASAP. Hopefully they planned for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
The only real problem I have with the train is that it could not have possibly stopped in the distance from where the engineer saw the truck and the guy waving. Especially with full freight and tank cars.
I was thinking that as well. It would make more sense if the bridge were 814 yards back from the crossing rather than 814 feet, but even still, trains take a long time to stop. They should have shown the engineers seeing the dump truck and applying the brakes long before they crossed that bridge, but that's clearly not what happened.