TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
jradosh
Newlywed

Bering Sea Gold - All Season Thread w/ spoilers

Watched the first episode and so far, so good. It has all the elements of Gold Rush Alaska but the people seem to actually know what they're doing (for the most part). We saw more gold that first episode than we have all season in Gold Rush Alaska. And it has cleavage.

The guy living in the bus who seems so full of himself... seems a bit scripted to me. Can he really be that (what's the word?)... goofy?

This show may be enough to get me to stop watching the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)

Last edited by jradosh : 01-30-2012 at 05:20 AM.
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
Byteofram
Survivor of C-bus

Yeah, there was def a lot more gold in one episode than we normally see all season on Gold Rush. LOL! Hope the Hoffmans don't make the jump to the Bering Sea. Really liked this first episode though.
Byteofram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Bob Coxner

The Hoffmans have a goal of 100 ounces for the season. (Dream on) The large dredge has a goal of 1000 ounces and got 46 on their first day. Using the excavator bucket to paddle was amazing.

Lots of interesting characters and this could easily become more enjoyable than Gold Rush.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
pmyers

Boy...if you are going to "gold", this is the place to do it:

No real big equipment needed, small crews, AND you can live in a town!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
pmyers

I wonder if you have to have a "claim" to be out there. Can you just go wherever you want or are you leasing a particular area?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I wonder if you have to have a "claim" to be out there. Can you just go wherever you want or are you leasing a particular area?
One of the boats "arrived at its claim" according to the narration.

Check out
Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
One of the boats "arrived at its claim" according to the narration.
I did hear that which is what made me wonder.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
The Flush
Anonymous User

I like this better than Gold Rush so far. Probably because they actually find gold.

I also wish they would address the issue of how the claims work. I also wonder how each dredge tracks where they have already dredged so that they don't keep doing the same area.

Is it even legal to take a boat out to sea without working propulsion? It seems no one in the right mind would so that and this could be a scripted element just to show that you can row the boat with a beloved excavator.

The deckhand who did not want to follow captain's orders should have had his ass kicked before being thrown off the boat.

Last edited by The Flush : 01-31-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo
The Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flush View Post
...Is it even legal to take a boat out to see without working propulsion? It seems no one in the right mind would so that and this could be a scripted element just to show that you can row the boat with a beloved excavator...
I totally agree. It seemed like somebody watched that episode of Mythbusters, thought it looked cool, and decided to put it into this episode.

For a place known for daily storms, which can come up very quickly, it seems unlikely that somebody would take a boat out with no propolsion.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Gary McCoy

Quote:
-snip-
For a place known for daily storms, which can come up very quickly, it seems unlikely that somebody would take a boat out with no propolsion.
Yet they got 46 ounces of gold on that first day. I could see taking a risk for a substantial reward. But the dredge owner was the one that made the call, and the crew were the ones at risk.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Bob Coxner

What's the next level below "white trash"? These guys do get gold, and the large dredge gets a lot of it, but they live in housing that wouldn't be acceptable in the worst ghetto. They drive pieces of s**t trucks and cars. In this episode they get into a bar fight and one gets stabbed.

I guess the guy living in an abandoned school bus is the lowest but the couple living in a canvas yurt on the beach is not far behind.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
Gregor

I wonder if they are just summer residents and bought/rented whatever was available. Not like there's a new car dealer in town, stuff probably gets driven until it absolutely won't go any further.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #13
Gary McCoy

Nome has changed a lot since I was there in 1972-73. It looks to be 3X larger in terms of size, and who knows about the population change.

But it's still a wild and wooly town with no paved streets, wooden sidewalks that become enclosed sidewalks in Winter, and no building codes. It still appears to be the case that every 3rd business is a bar, a restaurant serving booze, or a liquor store.

I spent 26 hours in town in 1972, during which time a person drove a snowmobile down the main drag and shot a law enforcement officer through a plate glass window. Unfortunately for me, my pilot and myself were witnesses and my flight out to my military base was delayed 24 hours. I ended up sharing a hotel room with another military guy who was on leave from another base. He was partying and it was an eye-opening experience. The Aleut prostitutes were - um - not very attractive to Western eyes.

One year later (1973) as I was rotating out of the area, I was wise enough to have booked a connecting flight the same day, avoiding the layover in Nome. The bush pilot obligingly cut the layover time from 3 hours to one, flew around the area at my request, and I paid him an extra $100 for fuel and took aerial pictures of the entire area and town. I still have them.

Nostalgic to see the place and how much it has changed - and not changed. But as you might guess, it's nowhere I would reccomend for tourists, or wives and children.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
DanB

the girl is saving up for a masters in opera? hmmm.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
NetJunkie

What I want to know, and this goes for Gold Rush too, is how anyone made money doing this when gold wasn't $1500/oz? I know it's caused a new gold rush (we're seeing there too in NC) but still...some of these mines have been in constant operation when gold was worth far less.

NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
vertigo235

I doubt the hut is where they live, i think it's just a temp housing while they work.

I can't imagine it's even possible to live in that thing during the winter!

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
the girl is saving up for a masters in opera? hmmm.
What does that even mean?

Check out
Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
justen_m

My brother got a MFA after his Bachelors, and then more degrees. I don't pretend to understand, but in his world (academia), degrees mean stuff. My world (engineers), whatever.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
Gary McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
I doubt the hut is where they live, i think it's just a temp housing while they work.

I can't imagine it's even possible to live in that thing during the winter!
Yurts are insulated tents invented in Mongolia. The traditional covering is animal hide and the traditional insulation a combination of felt and loose animal fur. They are heated with a central fire.

Those commercial yurts for sale in America share the shape but little else - they use plastic skins, an aluminum bubble insulation/vapor barrier, and sewn fabric liners, with a central wood stove or propane furnace. Both the floors and roof are insulated, frequently with closed-cell foam.

You better believe you can use a Yurt in Winter, and quite comfortably. Just as you can survive an Artic blizzard in an ice dome called an igloo. The inside igloo temperature is about 25 degrees, which is fifty degrees warmer than outside, and sheltered from the wind. We had an Arctic survival course that included igloo construction.

Any shelter that lacks corners is good in extreme cold. Rectangular structures are hard to keep heated.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
vertigo235

Cool

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
pmyers

I agree that these people must just live there in the summer which is probably a good reason the locals don't like them.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
DeDondeEs

Man the Discovery Channel is becoming the white trash channel. You have roughnecks, moonshiners, pawn shops, trash pickers. What's next "American Hobo" or "Pay Day Loaners" I wish these shows would focus more on the actual science of gold mining, or moonshine production, but instead we are shown way too much of their personal lives. Anyone who would actually sympathize with these folks probably can't afford cable.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I wish these shows would focus more on the actual science of gold mining.
What more do you need to know than gold is 200 times heavier than water? </sarcasm>

That seems to be the extent of the science we get.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Seriously, I don't understand why there isn't some commercial outfit up there. That crew with the bucket dredging has brought in $150k in 2 days of work. Assuming the Excavator is 500k, and the boat is 200k, you could make back the cost of the equipment in one year probably and then it'd be all profit. It looked like they only needed 2 hands to run the thing so you'd just split it 2 ways. Something isn't adding up.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #25
Gary McCoy

What doesn't add up is that we met the owners of that big dredge in the first episode, the elder Pomrenke and his son Shawn. Senior made the decision that they would launch without working propulsion the first day, but he was not working on the dredge, his son was. Then his son got stabbed in a bar fight, and senior worked the second day even though he knew nothing about boats. The third hand we have seen working on both days out is not a Pomrenke.

Speaking as a former member of the USCG, who spent a year on a duty station only 44 miles from Nome, the general condition and lack of safety equipment and lack of nautical expertise among these gold dredgers is appalling.

I mean, I know there is a camera crew on each dredge we can't see, plus a hidden radio and probably a rescue helicopter with inflatable pontoons on the landing skids. But an unheated wetsuit in such frigid water will only increase survival from a few minutes to 40 minutes or so before one becomes unconscious.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #26
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
...an unheated wetsuit in such frigid water will only increase survival from a few minutes to 40 minutes or so before one becomes unconscious.
They made a point of mentioning that they pumped heated water into the diving suits. They even showed one crew manufacturing the heating mechanism in the last episode.

Check out
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #27
pmyers

My Google powers must be off because I can't find the correct terms to search for to find out anything further about "claims" and how they work, offshore.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

It seriously looks like they just paddle out about a mile, drop anchor, and start sucking.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #29
Bob Coxner

Quote:
My Google powers must be off because I can't find the correct terms to search for to find out anything further about "claims" and how they work, offshore.
I found a website offering Alaskan claims for sale. http://www.akmining.com/mine/sellclaims.htm

Here's one that includes offshore Nome:

Updated 3/28/11

Nome Beach Claims - Eight contiguous State of Alaska 40-acre beach claims for sale, located at the mouth of the Cripple River, 11 miles west of the Nome jetty. Each claim is 1,320 feet wide and extends offshore up to 1,320 feet from the mean high tide mark on the beach. These claims are suitable for high-banking during low tides and dredging in the nearshore environment. In total, the buyer would have 240 acres or over two miles of the gold-bearing, ruby sands of fabled Nome. Will sell all eight claims for $190,000. Please contact agent, Jeff Keener, at 907-474-0943 or jeffkeener@hotmail.com

Here's the State of Alaska site dealing with claims: http://dnr.alaska.gov/commis/pic/permits.htm

Offshore Mining Leases and Prospecting Permits for locatable or potential locatable minerals on state-owned tide and submerged lands are offered for issuance if the DNR conducts a Disposal of Interest for a specific offshore area. If known locatable mineral deposits exist, the DNR conducts a competitive offshore lease disposal, otherwise a noncompetitive offshore prospecting permit disposal is held. Leases are issued for variable terms, up to indefinite if activity is occurring, and offshore prospecting permits are issued for a term of 10 years as long as adequate prospecting work in done each year. Permit acreage may be converted to lease at any time during the 10 years if workable mineral deposits are located. For more information, contact Kerwin Krause, Division of Mining, Land & Water, at (907) 269-8652 or by e-mail at: kerwin.krause@alaska.gov.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #30
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
What's the next level below "white trash"? These guys do get gold, and the large dredge gets a lot of it, but they live in housing that wouldn't be acceptable in the worst ghetto. They drive pieces of s**t trucks and cars. In this episode they get into a bar fight and one gets stabbed.

I guess the guy living in an abandoned school bus is the lowest but the couple living in a canvas yurt on the beach is not far behind.
Beats living on the boat in the Bearing sea!