TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Peter000

Grimm 4/13/12 "Love Sick" SPOILERS

Anyone still watching? So far the series has been just okay for me, but this one was really good.

IMO it's taking WAY too long to get to the meat of the mythology of the show, the creature power struggle and story behind the Captain and such. This one got more into it but in a very teasing way again. But it dealt with the mythology primarily, so it was a much better episode than normal.

I found it interesting that the beast part of a monster could be excised leaving the human part. I hope we see more of Adalind. It could be interesting if she actually started dating Hank on the up and up and he helped her realize she was more than just a Hexenbest (of course this would all be in the course of a "normal" relationship).

Hopefully the rest of the season ramps up.

Love the Eddie and Rosalee relationship/team. She's a really good addition to the cast of characters.

And I hope that Nick soon comes clean with Juliette and Hank about the Grimm stuff. I get SO tired of the super hero/secret identity schtick.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
And I hope that Nick soon comes clean with Juliette and Hank about the Grimm stuff. I get SO tired of the super hero/secret identity schtick.
Yeah, it drives me CRAZY in shows like this when people keep this kind of secret because and only because it's convenient for the writers in creating drama. Nick's life, Juliette's life, and Hank's life would all be so much better if he just told them; they are now all in terrible and repeated danger because he hasn't. Sometimes, shows will try to hang a lantern on it by coming up with some in-story reason for keeping it a secret. But these people haven't even bothered with that.

And Nick even CONSIDERING marrying Juliette under these circumstances makes him a very bad person. But it's like TV writers are so lost in the trope, they just can't see the consequences of their decision.

I do like the show, and increasingly so. But this is just a pretty major pet peeve of mine.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Amnesia
The Question

I'm not sure how I feel about Nick's blood being able to "de-Wesenfy" people. Up to this point, the different species of Wesen were always presented as something they are, not something they have.

It's also interesting to see that his blood is special---"magical", if you will. IIRC, up to now the only distinction on being a Grimm is that you can see Wesen for what they are...and on that note, I've always been curious as to how Wesen can recognize Nick---at first, I thought that they noticed his reaction to their "animal" faces, but then I've seen them show "animal" faces and Nick doesn't seem to change expression, yet they still seem to realize that he's a Grimm...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about Nick's blood being able to "de-Wesenfy" people. Up to this point, the different species of Wesen were always presented as something they are, not something they have.
It's not Wesen in general, it's Hexenbiesten in particular. There seems to be something different about them.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
john4200

Quote:
I hope we see more of Adalind.
I was disappointed that the Captain did not kill her. He said she was just a useless girl, but that is not true. She is worse than useless -- she is a liability who knows his secrets and could potentially tell Nick or Hank. I guess I can see him sleeping on it, since he likes to plan. But if the Captain does not try to kill her soon, then he will seem not as ruthless as the show has been portraying him up until now.

If all the Captain wants is the key, then his plan so far seems rather elaborate. I would think the first thing to try is to hire some thugs to search Nick's house. Next thing would be to have a couple guys follow Nick around, so then they would find the trailer and search that. Also, they would soon know about Monroe and Rosalee.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Peter000

Quote:

It's also interesting to see that his blood is special---"magical", if you will. IIRC, up to now the only distinction on being a Grimm is that you can see Wesen for what they are...and on that note, I've always been curious as to how Wesen can recognize Nick---at first, I thought that they noticed his reaction to their "animal" faces, but then I've seen them show "animal" faces and Nick doesn't seem to change expression, yet they still seem to realize that he's a Grimm...
I'm totally fine with his blood being magical or whatever. Up until now being a Grimm was pretty useless and couldn't figure out why the Wesen (that's what they're called in general? I can't keep track of all the different names and terms.) were so afraid of Grimms. Now there's a real reason.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I was disappointed that the Captain did not kill her.
I'm not sure Renard is "evil." Or at least as evil as his family/enemy is.

If he was evil, why not just kill Nick and search his body and place for the key?

What Renard should have done is have Nick followed to discover Nick's secret RV lair.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I'm totally fine with his blood being magical or whatever. Up until now being a Grimm was pretty useless and couldn't figure out why the Wesen (that's what they're called in general? I can't keep track of all the different names and terms.) were so afraid of Grimms. Now there's a real reason.
But again, it's specifically the Hexenbiesten who are de-biestified by the blood, not Wesen in general.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But again, it's specifically the Hexenbiesten who are de-biestified by the blood, not Wesen in general.
I don't remember that being established. So I don't believe you.

EDIT: Just reviewed the ep, and all that was specifically said about it was from Rosalee: "The only way to break the hold she has on him [Hank] is with the blood of a Grimm. Your blood." So we don't know what his blood would do to other Wesen, but I'm assuming it would be the same thing.

Last edited by Peter000 : 04-14-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
john4200

Quote:
I'm not sure Renard is "evil." Or at least as evil as his family/enemy is.
He is certainly ruthless, though. He ordered Adalind to poison Hank, one of his own detectives, and he must have known that it would soon be fatal.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I wonder the same thing as Peter. How was this established?

I agree that it would be a good addition to the show to have Grimm blood work on all Wesen, since Grimms do not seem so scary otherwise.

But in this episode, all I got out of it is if a Hexenbiest has used her blood to cast a love potion on someone, then a Grimm's blood in the Hexenbiest's mouth can debiestify. But it did not seem clear to me that it would even work on all Hexenbiest, let alone all Wesen.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
He is certainly ruthless, though. He ordered Adalind to poison Hank, one of his own detectives, and he must have known that it would soon be fatal.
Agreed.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
I'm totally fine with his blood being magical or whatever.
Is this the first magic we've seen? The different Wexen are strong or can breathe fire, fine. The various potions, well, you can vaguely go along with that.

But here for the first time, here was "real magic". Adalind became de-Wexenfied and immediately Hank was affected miles away.

EDIT: No wait: the Hitler coins were pretty magical as well...
Old 04-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Peter000

It is a pretty magical universe on that show. Just the Wesen transforming back and forth seems pretty magicky.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I don't remember that being established. So I don't believe you.

EDIT: Just reviewed the ep, and all that was specifically said about it was from Rosalee: "The only way to break the hold she has on him [Hank] is with the blood of a Grimm. Your blood." So we don't know what his blood would do to other Wesen, but I'm assuming it would be the same thing.
So you're saying she lost her Wessonality?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
Peter000

She was de-wesefied.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Yeah, it drives me CRAZY in shows like this when people keep this kind of secret because and only because it's convenient for the writers in creating drama. Nick's life, Juliette's life, and Hank's life would all be so much better if he just told them; they are now all in terrible and repeated danger because he hasn't. Sometimes, shows will try to hang a lantern on it by coming up with some in-story reason for keeping it a secret. But these people haven't even bothered with that.

And Nick even CONSIDERING marrying Juliette under these circumstances makes him a very bad person. But it's like TV writers are so lost in the trope, they just can't see the consequences of their decision.

I do like the show, and increasingly so. But this is just a pretty major pet peeve of mine.
I agree with all you say. I could have written this post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
Hmm252000

It will be interesting to see if they decide to wrap up the current arc or leave ongoing now that the show has been renewed for a second season (which I hope they do). On a side note, the French restaurant they went to is very nice. I too went on a double date there once, although my friend's GF is much nicer and never tried to kill me or my family.
Hmm252000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #19
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
She was de-wesefied.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Love the Eddie and Rosalee relationship/team. She's a really good addition to the cast of characters.
Good news: Bree Turner (Rosalee) has been promoted to series regular...
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

I sense they are forming a scobby gang, Adalind will soon become a member. At some point after they have dragged it out as long as possible Juliette will also join.

Adalind = Angel/Spike
Juliette = Buffy's Mom
Nick = Buffy
Russell = Willow

And so on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
I sense they are forming a scobby gang, Adalind will soon become a member.
If that happens, shouldn't Adalind be Cordy (former enemy turned friend-or-at-least-companion)?

And what's with Juliette as Buffy's mom? Nick sleeping with Juliette = Buffy with her mom? Have you been reading too much fanfic?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

Quote:
If that happens, shouldn't Adalind be Cordy (former enemy turned friend-or-at-least-companion)?

And what's with Juliette as Buffy's mom? Nick sleeping with Juliette = Buffy with her mom? Have you been reading too much fanfic?
Well Angel would not be good as he was good from the start, but Spike was also evil then not so evil. Buy Cordila was never evil, just self absorbed.

Buffy never told her mom until like the 5th season so that is why I was comparing Juliette to her.

wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #24
Test

Quote:
I sense they are forming a scobby gang, Adalind will soon become a member. At some point after they have dragged it out as long as possible Juliette will also join.

Adalind = Angel/Spike
Juliette = Buffy's Mom
Nick = Buffy
Russell = Willow

And so on...
I was thinking the same thing, but Adalind would be Anya and Hank would be Xander.

Also, what is up with all these weird names? Hexenbiesten, Wesen, Bluetbaten (however you spell it). These are all just made up by the writers for the show or are they actually part of these stories?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Amnesia
The Question

According to Wikipedia, they were made up for the show out of German words:
Quote:
Although the names of the wesen (...) are compounds of German words, they are not German words in the sense that these creatures do not exist by these names in the Grimms' tales, nor are they referred to as such in spoken or written German.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #26
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:

Adalind = Angel/Spike
Juliette = Buffy's Mom
Nick = Buffy
Russell = Willow

And so on...
I never watched Buffy, so I wasn't going to make this comparison. But I did come here to post that it seems that he is forming a really nice gang IF HE WOULD JUST GET HIS HEAD OUT OF HIS BUTT AND TELL PEOPLE THE TRUTH.

He already has Rosalee and the wolf guy (love him). Add Juliette (who seems to have some abilities/intuition), Hank, Adelin, and the policeman (the Asian guy) and you could really have a great ensemble and great potential.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
Amnesia
The Question

Yes, I believe his aunt instructed him not to tell anyone because it would put them in danger...but the people closest to him have already been put in danger from the Wesen...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Anyone still watching? So far the series has been just okay for me, but this one was really good.
I agree. Actually, I think the last two have been significantly better. I'm enjoying the show quite a bit now that more attention is finally being paid to the arc.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #29
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I had a 4 episode marathon of this show last night to get current. I'm still enjoying this show. Has it been picked up for a second season?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #30
whitson77
Director Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I had a 4 episode marathon of this show last night to get current. I'm still enjoying this show. Has it been picked up for a second season?
Yes.

I really enjoy the show. His partner REALLY needs to be told what is going on. And his GF as well, but it is getting annoying that he has not at least told Hank.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote