TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
rajmhar

Question final word as of this point in time on Tivo copy protection workaround

My question is straight foward.

As of this point in time, where are we on the issue of finding a crack/hack/workaround to the following: transferring Tivo Premiere or Tivo HD XL copy-protected recordings from the Tivo to the computer?

Has anybody ever made progress on this issue?

What makes it so hard?

Thank you very much for your expert advice.
rajmhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
rajmhar

I just found this. Will this transfer copy protected recordings? There seems to be some kind of "decrypt" option. Is that it?

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/
Old 08-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
caddyroger

No kmttg will not transfer copy protected programs from the tivo to your computer. The decrypt option will change the it from a tivo to mpg mpg4 plus some others but will not decrypt copy protected programs.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
rajmhar

Then how do I do it?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
rajmhar

Ya, I figured out decrpyt was referring to decoding. sorry my bad
Old 08-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmhar View Post
Then how do I do it?
You can't. So far no one has reported that the Premiere has been hacked.

I'm not sure about the TivoHD XL.

On older Tivos, it takes a hardware modification to ignore the copy protection scheme.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
UCLABB

You probably know this, but just in case. You can record copy-protected content from the TiVo to a DVD recorder and then on to your PC. Obviously, it is in SD, but I have done a lot of that and the quality can be quite good.

Quote:
My question is straight foward.

As of this point in time, where are we on the issue of finding a crack/hack/workaround to the following: transferring Tivo Premiere or Tivo HD XL copy-protected recordings from the Tivo to the computer?

Has anybody ever made progress on this issue?

What makes it so hard?

Thank you very much for your expert advice.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Even if you hack your TiVo to bypass encryption it only applies to future recordings. Everything that is on your TiVo is already encrypted and can not be decrypted. The reason no one has cracked the encryption scheme is because the TiVo uses a hardware encryption chip, not a software based solution, so there is no easy way to crack it.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
rajmhar

thanks everybody for your replies.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
vurbano

Quote:
thanks everybody for your replies.
TivoHD +prom mod + hack = your answer for future recordings but for ones you already have you are SOL. Yes it's been done for awhile now. It's a lot of work but if you want it it can be done. TiVo premiere is still locked down though.

Last edited by vurbano : 08-14-2012 at 06:54 PM.
vurbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
scole250

You can hack your HD and transfer shows from the HD to the Premiere (I think), but the Premiere can't be hacked so any CC shows can't be copied from it. Hacking an HD/S3 is not just a one time mod. Not like sending if off, having it modified and forgetting about it. Updates require mini-hacks to be re-applied, but not sure they're still sending updates to the S3/HDs. Not done it myself, but I think that's the gist. It looked like more work than I wanted to put into it.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
You can hack your HD and transfer shows from the HD to the Premiere (I think), but the Premiere can't be hacked so any CC shows can't be copied from it. Hacking an HD/S3 is not just a one time mod. Not like sending if off, having it modified and forgetting about it. Updates require mini-hacks to be re-applied, but not sure they're still sending updates to the S3/HDs. Not done it myself, but I think that's the gist. It looked like more work than I wanted to put into it.
Same here. I did it to the old HDtivo from directv but that didn't require the prom mod which can be sent off to have done. The hacking and updating is a whole lot of work though and just not worth it to me now.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Davedude

Quote:
Then how do I do it?
Here is one method - Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder. link = see amazon.com (can't post a link yet)

Makes a very nice copy in HD using component video out. One problem, your PC must be < 15 feet from your Tivo / Hauppauge 1212, connected via USB.

Good Luck.
Dave
Davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
You probably know this, but just in case. You can record copy-protected content from the TiVo to a DVD recorder and then on to your PC. Obviously, it is in SD, but I have done a lot of that and the quality can be quite good.
Though in this case, if you're using legitimate recorders, they follow the copyright signals (Macrovision?) too. e.g. I couldn't record things like HBO shows to my DVD recorder, and still run into things that are 'copy once' (e.g. the current reality show on TNT, The Escape or whatever it's called.. I record it to my other device to watch it faster than realtime).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
UCLABB

I've never had a problem with my Magnavox or Panny recorders. I've recorded from every premium channel as well as just about every other cable channel. Never a problem. I have recorded off the composite outs and I have recorded off the HDMI out via a HDMI to composite converter. Both work 100% of the time. Does your cable system do something that mine doesn't perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Though in this case, if you're using legitimate recorders, they follow the copyright signals (Macrovision?) too. e.g. I couldn't record things like HBO shows to my DVD recorder, and still run into things that are 'copy once' (e.g. the current reality show on TNT, The Escape or whatever it's called.. I record it to my other device to watch it faster than realtime).

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote