TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

Mission Impossible

I just stumbled upon the original Mission Impossible tv series while channel surfing. I've been trying to catch reruns of this show forever. If anybody in the Philadelphia area is interested, it's on channel 69 or whatever that translates to your cable or satellite channel lineup. It looks like it runs one episode per day and it's early in season one. There's some guy named Dan Briggs in the Jim Phelps role. I don't remember him at all. My guide data doesn't give the episode names.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I just stumbled upon the original Mission Impossible tv series while channel surfing. I've been trying to catch reruns of this show forever. If anybody in the Philadelphia area is interested, it's on channel 69 or whatever that translates to your cable or satellite channel lineup. It looks like it runs one episode per day and it's early in season one. There's some guy named Dan Briggs in the Jim Phelps role. I don't remember him at all. My guide data doesn't give the episode names.
Dan Briggs gets replaced by Jim Phelps (with no explanation) at the beginning of the second season.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
The guy that played Dan Briggs later went on to a very long role in Law & Order

Nice to see another fan of the series though. It was always a favorite of mine, and one that I saw many episodes (repeated) of when I was younger. A few years ago one of the Retro TV network type digital sub-channels aired the series from start to finish and I caught most of the episodes. A cable channel that FiOS offers me had the series later, and still another Retro TV network got them after that. Over time I think I caught all of the episodes and whet my appetite enough that I didn't feel the need to buy the series on DVD, though I was glad it was eventually released on DVD.

The other show from that era that I really wanted to catch as much as possible was The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I caught an Amazon Goldbox special on that boxed set (complete series) a few months back and have watched some of the episodes of it. Incredibly cheesey, but still a lot of fun to watch with some cross overs between both series (lots of studio actors that had to work in whatever the studios sent them to that day...)
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
caslu

I probably shouldn't admit this but I'm the (proud?) owner of the entire original series, all the movies and even a burned copy (from VHS) of the 80's sequel series. I guess you could call me a M:I fan
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
retrodog
King Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post
I probably shouldn't admit this but I'm the (proud?) owner of the entire original series, all the movies and even a burned copy (from VHS) of the 80's sequel series. I guess you could call me a M:I fan
Or we could say that you had a problem with IMF UMF.
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Dan Briggs gets replaced by Jim Phelps (with no explanation) at the beginning of the second season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
The guy that played Dan Briggs later went on to a very long role in Law & Order
He quit Mission: Impossible because he's a devout Jew and refused to work on the Sabbath. It took a long time for him to get work gain.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 10-05-2010 at 06:15 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Church AV Guy

A local channel here also ran all the Mission Impossible episodes a while back. They are not being show currently, but I don't care because I recorded ALL of them to DVD. I was really surprised that the local channel ran them without the cuts that had appeared in so many other venues that used to run them. This channel also showed all of The Wild Wild West, which I liked at least as much as M:I. I could not find a source for UNCLE, so I broke down and bought the whole set. Season 1 was very good, and season 3 was also pretty good. What they did to the show in season 2 was just shy or criminal!

Mission was defeinitely one of my favorites. I loved how they used to destroy small tape recorders and stuff. One of the Briggs episodes had him pull a record out of a sleeve, and it was between two sheets of "sticky paper" that he had to peel off the record surface. One time Cinnamon got the opening message.

It never was explicitly stated in the show, but the "...secretary (of state?) will disavow any knowledge of your actions," is in today's language, "plausable denyability."

Wally Cox was in the pilot! The comedian, Wally Cox, of Hollywood Squares and Mr. Peepers fame.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I don't know if they still do, but there's a rather obscure cable channel called American Life Network that carried this. (Edit: looks like as of the fall television season, they've dropped the show)

I still wish that someone would re-run the 1980's revival of the show.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
doom1701
I blue myself!

I wound up getting burned dvd copies of the 88 revival off some online auction site...probably not legal, but about the only way you can get them.

One of the Chicago stations we used to get would broadcast the originals, one a week. I kept a large number of them. One thing that I found interesting was that, during the first season (the Dan Briggs year), the entire team seemed to focus on acting and stage production. That disappeared later.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

Wikipedia helped me determine that the episode I watched yesterday was S01E20. 170 more episodes to go! At least they're only showing one episode per day. When I watched Maverick, it was on twice per day. Actually it was three times per day but the third hour was out of sequence with the earlier two hour block.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
He quit Mission: Impossible because he's a devout Jew and refused to work on the Sabbath.
According to Wikipedia (quoting from a book about the series), while he did refuse to work on the Sabbath, and even walked out in the middle of filming that had gotten dangerously close to sundown Friday, the straw that broke the camel's back was his refusal to do a scene that AFAIK wouldn't have interfered with his religious beliefs.

It was supposedly where he was to walk across some rafters (my guess is he was in the midst of chasing a bad guy) and perhaps he thought it was too dangerous.

For the remainder of the season his roles were cut way back and he wasn't invited back for Season 2.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
According to Wikipedia (quoting from a book about the series), while he did refuse to work on the Sabbath, and even walked out in the middle of filming that had gotten dangerously close to sundown Friday, the straw that broke the camel's back was his refusal to do a scene that AFAIK wouldn't have interfered with his religious beliefs.

It was supposedly where he was to walk across some rafters (my guess is he was in the midst of chasing a bad guy) and perhaps he thought it was too dangerous.

For the remainder of the season his roles were cut way back and he wasn't invited back for Season 2.
His refusal to work the Sabbath conflicted with production days and this explains why his participation dropped as the First season progressed.

In fact, he was suspended for one episode (Action! which is why Cinnamon listened to the tape and Rollin ran the mission). (Although one source claims that he was suspended for not climbing into the rafters for that episode which you mention.)

He then left MI (or was not asked to return) and basically didn't work as an actor for 10 years. Most of his scenes post suspension were filmed in advance and he was long gone by the end of the production of Season 1.

Watching the early episodes (say seasons 1-4) though, I think the show still holds up.
The technology is dated in places but the writing was fairly clever.

I think the show starts going downhill with the focus taken off of foreign adversaries and redirected to drug dealers and mobsters or syndicates as they were referred to then.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
doom1701
I blue myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I think the show starts going downhill with the focus taken off of foreign adversaries and redirected to drug dealers and mobsters or syndicates as they were referred to then.
There was one episode, I think in season 5, where they were trying to convince a bad guy that he had been either asleep or frozen for 30 years. When the guy woke up in the "Future" hospital room, there was a giant flat panel TV in the room.

Sometimes the tech was way off, but they nailed that one pretty well.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1701 View Post
There was one episode, I think in season 5, where they were trying to convince a bad guy that he had been either asleep or frozen for 30 years. When the guy woke up in the "Future" hospital room, there was a giant flat panel TV in the room.

To quote one pundit on a Consumer Electronics Show keynote panel circa 1988, "The flat TV you can hang on a wall has been ten years away for thirty years." I think I saw an enormous, even now, 16x9 HDTV in the Panasonic - No! Japan! - technology pavilion around 1990.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

One of the best episodes was when the IMF team melted the gold bars inside the bad guy's vault.
TIVOSciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
Church AV Guy

Quote:
...I think the show starts going downhill with the focus taken off of foreign adversaries and redirected to drug dealers and mobsters or syndicates as they were referred to then.

Even when I was watching the show when it was originally broadcast, I thought that change of direction was a bad move. I never really cared for it as much after that. Even I was not impressed with episodes like the Shatner one where they convinced him he had gone back in time, and the one where they convinced some guy that space aliens had come to help him in. How stupid were these bad guys anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVOSciolist View Post
One of the best episodes was when the IMF team melted the gold bars inside the bad guy's vault.
I LOVED that episode!

I also really liked the one where they spring a guy from prison and made him give them the classified info he had, by putting him on a fake submarine and convincing him that it was going down and they all were going to die.

The Mind of Stefan Miklos is a classic. It was so complex most people never did get it, or how/why it worked. That one in particular suffers when part of it is cut for more commercial time.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
caslu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I also really liked the one where they spring a guy from prison and made him give them the classified info he had, by putting him on a fake submarine and convincing him that it was going down and they all were going to die.

The Mind of Stefan Miklos is a classic. It was so complex most people never did get it, or how/why it worked. That one in particular suffers when part of it is cut for more commercial time.
Excellent episodes! The submarine one was even remade from the 80's version.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
Doggie Bear

Quote:

That wasn't just any ordinary "bad guy"! He was played by *William Shatner*. That alone made that episode awesome.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

Season 3, The Freeze.

Rollin played one of the doctors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
That wasn't just any ordinary "bad guy"! He was played by *William Shatner*. That alone made that episode awesome.
Except it was Donnelly Rhodes, who later played Doc Cottle on the Moore Battlestar Galactica.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #20
Doggie Bear

Quote:
Hmm, they must have repeated the basic plot, because this is the episode I was thinking of.

EDIT: Never mind. . . . The Shatner episode was actually the opposite plot, of making the sting target think that it was 30 years earlier, not 30 years in the future. Oh well, it's all fake time travel, eh?

Last edited by Doggie Bear : 10-06-2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: I goofed.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #21
RonDawg

Quote:
His refusal to work the Sabbath conflicted with production days and this explains why his participation dropped as the First season progressed.
Again while it didn't help score points with the producers, the Sabbath issue was not the final straw, it was his refusal to do a scene as per the script that put him on that suspension. His roles were then cut back after that.

Steven Hill also made it quite clear to the producers at the very beginning that he would NOT work on the Sabbath. It's not like he suddenly walked out with absolutely no warning beforehand.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #22
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Again while it didn't help score points with the producers, the Sabbath issue was not the final straw, it was his refusal to do a scene as per the script that put him on that suspension. His roles were then cut back after that.
I don't totally agree that his role wasn't cut before. If you watch the First season in order, you can see that Briggs' participation in the missions gets smaller until the Action! suspension.
I'm guessing that the producers were working around Hill's Sabbath absences but yeah, it was pissing them off.

Quote:
Steven Hill also made it quite clear to the producers at the very beginning that he would NOT work on the Sabbath. It's not like he suddenly walked out with absolutely no warning beforehand.
Never said or implied that he did.

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung : 10-07-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #23
cheesesteak
Meh.

Hey! What's with all the spoilers? Just kidding.

I watched the show when I was a kid. I remember the characters but none of the episodes. Maybe the episodes will come back to me as I watch them.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #24
doom1701
I blue myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I don't know if they still do, but there's a rather obscure cable channel called American Life Network that carried this. (Edit: looks like as of the fall television season, they've dropped the show)

I still wish that someone would re-run the 1980's revival of the show.
Load, I think you and I are TV Siamese twins separated at birth, so I know this will most likely excite you:

Mission:Impossible 1988 TV Season
Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #25
DougF

Quote:
Load, I think you and I are TV Siamese twins separated at birth, so I know this will most likely excite you:

That's cool. I don't know if I'd buy it, but I'd certainly take another look if it showed up on Netflix. I used to watch TNG and this back-to-back on Saturday nights during that time.

Speaking of Netflix, the original M:I is available for Watch Instantly.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Mi...?trkid=2361637
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #26
doom1701
I blue myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
That's cool. I don't know if I'd buy it, but I'd certainly take another look if it showed up on Netflix. I used to watch TNG and this back-to-back on Saturday nights during that time.

Speaking of Netflix, the original M:I is available for Watch Instantly.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Mi...?trkid=2361637
Yet again, Netflix convinces me to keep my account for a couple more months...
Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #27
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
That's cool. I don't know if I'd buy it, but I'd certainly take another look if it showed up on Netflix.
I think I'm with Doug... maybe if I can catch it at a cheap enough price, I might buy it.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #28
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

I have fond memories of the 1988 version. As I recall, it was during the writer's strike and they could produce new episodes of M:I from old scripts with minimal rewrites due to contractual obligations.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
doom1701
I blue myself!

I'll be buying it, probably as a late birthday present to myself. I remember the 88-89 series very fondly. It was my first real taste of that type of TV show--I love stories that have plans within plans, and good Mission:Impossible was always great at that.

Right now I've got some really crappy VHS to DVD copies of the series that I just haven't been able to bring myself to watch. The translation was so bad that the video is almost unbearable and the sound is so quiet you have to crank the volume. I'm looking forward to seeing these in a cleaner format.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #30
Hcour

We recently got a station called "MeTV" that is showing a lot of old 60's and 70's shows, including the original MI. One of my fav's as a kid, I've been watching quite a few of them lately. They're a lot of fun in a nostalgic way.

Currently watching the seasons with Lesley Ann Warren. What a beauty! Also a very good actress, even back then. She does some really subtle character-acting as she plays her various roles in each mission.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote