TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
silkworm
New TiVo junkie

Question Creating WISHLISTS online?

I have not found anything in the forums on this topic, so here it goes...

Creating wishlists using the remote control buttons can become extremely frustrating, especially when I want to several movies titles at a time. Does anybody know if I can set up wsihlists online via Tivo.com or Yahoo? I know scheduling recordings can be done on both sites, but I have yet to find wishlist creation features that allow me to enter movie titles by using my laptop keyboard (i.e., quick and painless).

Related question (non-Tivo): Does anybody know of online services where one can enter a wishlist of TV programs and be notified when it is scheduled to be broadcast? Does this exist at all? This way, I can create and edit my wishlists whenever I want, and receive email notifications as TV programmers add the particular programs to their schedules.

Thanks!!!
silkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Sylvia Caras

It's six years since this was asked, and I see no replies. Is there a way to create a wish list entry online?

While I'm reading the news each day, I see comments, references, reviews, to books or movies or television series. I make a note of those I wish to keep track of. For TiVo, if the program isn't airing currently, I make a wish list. It would be so much easier to do that from my desktop, full keyboard, ...

Or is there some other work-around? I have a wireless home network - I could bring a keyboard near the TV/TiVo, ... Then what?

Sylvia
Sylvia Caras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Jonathan_S

I'm not aware of any way.

The only slightly simpler ways I know of to set up wishlists are:
1) Have the TiVo create it for you from your title search results. (On Premieres in the high def menus, or on TiVo S3/HDs in the TiVo Search Beta you're offered the ability to have the TiVo autocreate a wishlist.*)
2) Use a better keyboard. (Instead of using the normal "Ouija board" with the navigation buttons)
2-a) Use the TiVo Slide remote with it's full keyboard.
2-b) plug in a USB keyboard to the TiVo
2-c) Use one of the TiVo Apps for android or ios devices and use the apps's virtual keyboard.

That said, a true online wishlist management ability (including hopefully the ability to transfer them to other TiVos on your account; like they added for season passes) would be very nice.

*Be careful of special characters. In my limited experience with this feature I've noticed the TiVo doesn't sanity check for them, so it can create an 'invalid' wishlist that won't ever match anything
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Sylvia Caras

Usually I find something I'm interested in while I'm browsing the web, news, etc and check TiVo's schedule online to see if it's available so I can just add the item to be recorded. If I'm not successful, later I go straight to 'create a wish list'. I haven't used the 'title search' feature much - I look for the feature you mentioned. Thanks for alerting me to the Slide. And for replying so quickly. I'm going to try adding a keyboard.

Sylvia
Old 08-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Sylvia Caras

Is it OK to plug my laptop into the TiVo USB port? I was thinking of trying it as a USB keyboard. I don't want to interfere with other TiVo/Comcast features. I have a wireless home network and cable internet, but the TiVo setup is hardwired so I wouldn't expect the wireless laptop keyboard to work without a connection. I can access the television (Panasonic) features with the laptop via wireless. I think I'm confused.

Sylvia
Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Caras View Post
Is it OK to plug my laptop into the TiVo USB port? I was thinking of trying it as a USB keyboard. I don't want to interfere with other TiVo/Comcast features. I have a wireless home network and cable internet, but the TiVo setup is hardwired so I wouldn't expect the wireless laptop keyboard to work without a connection. I can access the television (Panasonic) features with the laptop via wireless. I think I'm confused.

Sylvia
It's extremely unlikely that your laptop acts as a keyboard when something is connected to it via USB. (And you'd need some weird non-standard cable to even try; I assume the laptop uses the full sized USB 'A' connector, same one the TiVo uses. But that's a host device connector, not a peripheral connector; so no compliant USB cable should have two 'A' connectors on it.)
It might not hurt anything (but I don't know that for sure) but it shouldn't work.