TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
jb1677

Use Premier without service in lieu of Mini?

I have a Premier Elite/XL4 with service. I have a 2 tuner premier that has no service at the moment. Can I use it as an extension of the XL4 leveraging just an XL4 tuner until the Mini arrives? This seems like something that Tivo could implement/allow to make use of all the second hand 2 tuner premier's on the market.
jb1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

You need a subscription for the Premiere to be able to connect and see the other Premiere and be able to watch content from it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
jb1677

do we know yet if the mini require a sub as well?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1677 View Post
do we know yet if the mini require a sub as well?
Nobody knows for sure, but speculation is there will be some kind of reduced sub and/or lifetime fee for the Mini. My threshold is around $150-200 total with "lifetime" if there is a sub. More than that I would not pay and I think Mini would be a flop. If there is a sub and there is no "lifetime" option I also would not go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
jb1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Nobody knows for sure, but speculation is there will be some kind of reduced sub and/or lifetime fee for the Mini. My threshold is around $150-200 total with "lifetime" if there is a sub. More than that I would not pay and I think Mini would be a flop. If there is a sub and there is no "lifetime" option I also would not go for it.
It's a shame they won't let you use some of the readily available cheap hardware as a mini like receiver for the XL4
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yes, but then they would lose money on the boxes, they subsidize the cost with the subs.

I agree that they should have a cheaper sub option on the Premiere, a 'streaming only' with live TV (no guide, or maybe 1 day of guide) to allow them to act as Minis. Allow net apps too but no DVR features.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1677 View Post
It's a shame they won't let you use some of the readily available cheap hardware as a mini like receiver for the XL4
Most of those boxes only play H.264 video, TiVos mostly record in MPEG-2. You'd need to buy a TiVo Stream to transcode the video to H.264 before they could even consider using one those those other devices. That being said there was a survey recently which discussed the possibility of supporting the TiVo Stream on other devices like Roku, game consoles, etc... so it is something they are considering.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I thought he was talking about using cheap Premieres (i.e., you can get one on sale now for $60), putting the Tivo software on other devices could be problematic given that they have a hard time getting all the bugs worked out on their own hardware.

Having a stream/live TV only sub with an upgrade path to a full sub would let folks buy extra boxes for a lower upfront cost, then maybe capture some upgrades to full subs down the road. All it needs is some software tweaking to limit features based on the sub, which they already have for unsubbed boxes. I guess they just never saw much of a market for whole home users until lately.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

In that case they can't. The reason those boxes are so cheap is because they are subsidized. TiVo makes up the money with the subscription. If they allowed them to be used without a sub, or with some sort of low cost sub, then they would lose money. They might be able to do it if they removed the subsidy, but then the box would cost about $200 and not $60. It's kind of like the cell phone market. You can get a new iPhone for $200 if you agree to a 2 year contract, but if you want to use it for a prepaid plan the phone is $700.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yeah I said that above but if they priced it right it could work, I'm just saying it would be nice if there were other options. Of course it's overkill to have a Premiere with a hard drive if all you want is an extender box + live TV anyway.

IMO Tivo should have put the software in flash RAM long ago, then we could get boxes without drives or easily swap drives ourselves without extra steps, but that's another topic.