TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Aetherfury

Arrow Can't Transfer HD HBO Movies Between Tivo Boxes

I see plenty of threads about trying to transfer copywritten shows to PC, but I am frustrated about a different form of transfer. All I want to do is transfer an HBO HD movie from one Tivo HD to another Tivo HD in a different room. Here is the setup: (Both boxes have all newest updates)

I just got a Tivo HD XL with a Comcast cable card (multistream) in our family room. Everything is working correctly with it after the Comcast guy came out yesterday.

My wife has a Tivo HD upstairs and the Comcast guy had a problem installing the card. I get most of the HD channels, but no movie channels or HD channels above 225. He said it's not the cable card's fault he doesn't think, but they didn't have any more cable cards to try. So my wifes Tivo can view HD but only on some channels. The channels she can't see don't say "denied" or anything, just a black screen.

All I want to do is have her stream the movies she wants from the downstairs unit (obviously that shouldn't be copyright infringment because both my boxes are on the same home internal network and both on Comcast) and it just shows the circle with the line through it saying it is protect by copyright and can't be transferred?!

It's not like I'm trying to burn it to dvd which I understand would be an issue, but since she can't see any of the movie channels I was hoping she could watch them this way.

Do you think it's possible this issue is just related to the Comcast cable card? Like since she can't view the movie channels on hers, it recognizes that?
Aetherfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

The issue is exactly what the TiVO says it is. Shows w/ the copyright flag can't be shared between TiVos.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherfury View Post
My wife has a Tivo HD upstairs and the Comcast guy had a problem installing the card. I get most of the HD channels, but no movie channels or HD channels above 225. He said it's not the cable card's fault he doesn't think,
he is correct that it is not the cable card*. It is the back office of Comcast that has not tied the correct tier of channels from your billing to that specific cable card. You need to call Comcast nad have them straighten that out. This usually involves the hit and miss of getting someone that can do it properly.

* well there is always a chance, though small, that the card has some glitch specific enough to block channels over 225. This is just very unlikely though.

Quote:
All I want to do is have her stream the movies she wants from the downstairs unit (obviously that shouldn't be copyright infringment because both my boxes are on the same home internal network and both on Comcast) and it just shows the circle with the line through it saying it is protect by copyright and can't be transferred?!
First you need to understand that TiVo currently does not "stream" the show from one TiVo to another TiVo, it copies the show to the other TiVo. HBO has set a flag (legally) of not allowing a copy to happen. TiVo has agreed to a cablelabs license so it can be certified for use of cable cards and so must honor that No COPY flag even if anyone would agree the big picture is that this is not some pirating/infringement.

The solution you need is to do the first part above and get Comcast to make the correct channels available to that specific cable card.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Aetherfury

Ahhhh... got it. Okay guys, thanks for the help and I will call Comcast to get the original issue straightened out.

I might not have even noticed the copyright thing if she got the movie channels, so once I get that straightened out I'm sure it will be fine.

These Tivo things are addictive as crap by the way. =)
Aetherfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
welcome to the TiVolution and the forums

PS the speculation and hope for the HBO situation is that TiVo is working on truly streaming shows to another TiVo and thus not having to deal with "No Copy". They just released streaming Netflix to the DVR and hopefully they can add that capability between two TiVo DVRs
Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
mindchaotica
TiVo User

I think i see the problem..... don't get the cable cards if you want to transfer shows, either to a PC or to another TiVo. Is that even an option with the HD TiVo's, not getting the cable cards?
mindchaotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
wierdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindchaotica View Post
I think i see the problem..... don't get the cable cards if you want to transfer shows, either to a PC or to another TiVo. Is that even an option with the HD TiVo's, not getting the cable cards?
It doesn't matter whether you have cable cards or not. TiVo can pick up copy protection flags from the VBI of analog cable channels, too.

Regardless, most cable systems don't have a whole lot flagged. In my case, it's HBOHD and most, but not all, of the HBO SD multiplex. Everything else is copyable.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
PS the speculation and hope for the HBO situation is that TiVo is working on truly streaming shows to another TiVo and thus not having to deal with "No Copy".
All they need to do is change the *copy* command to the *move* command.
I'd be happy with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
All they need to do is change the *copy* command to the *move* command.
I'd be happy with that.
I do not think the license allows even a move. The whole idea is that the content stays on the device it was recorded on and no where else ever.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Neilwltr

Get a Tivo Mini

Quote:
Ahhhh... got it. Okay guys, thanks for the help and I will call Comcast to get the original issue straightened out.

I might not have even noticed the copyright thing if she got the movie channels, so once I get that straightened out I'm sure it will be fine.

If you have this issue still I highly recommend the Tivo Mini this not only allows you to watch on another TV, but you can send one of your Comcast boxes/ cards back to them...
Neilwltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

This is an old thread; now you can stream programming between Premiere or newer models of TiVo, even if the programming is copy-protected.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote