TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
naranja

Snowy Picture On Cable Input Only, OTA ok

I have a Tivo HD that displays a snowy image only on cable channels. What you'd expect from a weak signal. I tested my cable connection with another identical Tivo and no problem so not a weak incoming signal. OTA channels are just fine. This is Time Warner analog cable no cable cards or tuning adapters. I'm guessing maybe a bad RF input? If so can it be replaced. Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited by naranja : 08-05-2012 at 01:54 PM.
naranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Did you test the other TiVo with exactly the same cable connection that goes to the "bad" TiVo (i.e., not at another cable drop in the building)? That is the only way to be sure it's not a signal problem.

I suppose it could be a bad power supply. Open it up and look for bulging or leaking capacitor cans. Power it up (WARNING: SHOCK HAZARD) and test the voltages where the Red, Yellow and White wires connect to solder pads on the PS board. Red-to-Black should be 5V +/-5%. Yellow-to-black should be 12V +/-10%.

I'm assuming you mean snow (random noise) rather than blocky pixelation (?). The latter could be caused by a bad hard drive. If so, and
you don't find a power supply problem then the problem is on the motherboard (e.g., tuner circuit) and is not fixable. I hope you don't have lifetime sub on it. You could buy another HD or upgrade to a current model TiVo. You will have to pay TiVo a hefty fee to get lifetime transfered to the replacement TiVo, if you had it. Remove the PS and Hard Drive from the current TiVo and keep them as spares or to sell. The PS will be useable only in another HD.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
naranja

Yes, tested with exatly the same cable connection after having issue in another room and yes, snow not pixelation. I'll check power supply, does it make sense that would affect cable and dont over the air picture? Same Question on tuner circuit, could that affect cable but not over the air picture? Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

It could still be a marginal cable signal with one Tivo having a more sensitive input than the other. Quick things to try: A different cable from the wall, a different wall outlet, an inexpensive power amplifier, a splitter. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to try a splitter since it lowers the signal level but maybe the signal level is actually too high for that Tivo.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Since the cable coax and ota coax go into separate connectors on the TiVo, there must be some circuit elements that affect only the cable signal, and conceivably they might be more sensitive to incorrect voltage. Seems unlikely it's the power supply but it's good to check it anyway. At least that way you will know whether it's worth keeping as a spare part or to sell. New or reconditioned supplies for the HD sell for $100, see weaknees.com.

and
Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
naranja

I think I'll try a power amplifier but probably is circuits, might help even so? I did try it on different cable outlet with and without splitters. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
unitron

In the case of S2 and S3 TiVos, you should always suspect "capacitor plague" in the power supply just on GP, and eliminate it as a possibility.

On the other hand, if it's TWC analog, you shouldn't trust it automatically, either.

(what part of the country are you in?)

See if you can test that HD's cable input elsewhere, with either a different tap from the same feed to your dwelling, or with a different source. Have you got an old VCR with a channel 3 or 4 output handy?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
........See if you can test that HD's cable input elsewhere, with either a different tap from the same feed to your dwelling, or with a different source. Have you got an old VCR with a channel 3 or 4 output handy?
Given that another TiVo HD performs well on the tap he/she is using, I'm not seeing the value of doing these tests.

and
Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Given that another TiVo HD performs well on the tap he/she is using, I'm not seeing the value of doing these tests.
When it comes to TWC, you can't even trust them to be bad consistently, and as lillevig indicated, another of the same model isn't going to be indentical in response down to the microVolt.

If he gets even a moment of not-snowy on the cable input, then we can consider causes outside the TiVo.

Although he still needs to check those power supply caps.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
naranja

Thanks for all the suggestions. Power supply looks ok. Signal booster no help. Must be in the mother board
Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by naranja View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Power supply looks ok. Signal booster no help. Must be in the mother board
Are you the owner of that identical TiVo that you mentioned?

If not, does it belong to a really good friend?

Try a temporary power supply swap, just to be sure that's not the problem

There's a little, hard to see screw that goes into the top of the AC input jack from the outside, as well as the larger ones that go into standoffs on the inside.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
........Try a temporary power supply swap, just to be sure that's not the problem.........
I agree. First it doesn't appear you've checked the voltages. Second, even if the (DC) voltages are in spec there could be noise (AC voltage) that could cause your problem. Detecting that is not so simple. You either need a scope or some very adroit voltmeter techniques.

However I do think it's more likely that something has failed on the motherboard. It's just that based on experiences reported on this forum failures other than PS, HDD and fan are very rare.

and
Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
naranja

Correct, I didn't check voltages. I looked again at the power supply and did see some bulging on the top of one of the smaller capacitors next to the outgoing wires. I'll try swapping power supplies. Is it likely at all that noise from the power supply would only affect the cable channels? I guess I'll find out. Thanks for all the expertise.

Pic of capacitor (small upper left one):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0604.jpg (43.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Correct, I didn't check voltages. I looked again at the power supply and did see some bulging on the top of one of the smaller capacitors next to the outgoing wires. I'll try swapping power supplies. Is it likely at all that noise from the power supply would only affect the cable channels? I guess I'll find out. Thanks for all the expertise.

Pic of capacitor (small upper left one):
Are you talking about the top one of the three smaller ones? The one right next to the two twisted red wires?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
naranja

Quote:
Are you talking about the top one of the three smaller ones? The one right next to the two twisted red wires?
Yes... but I just did the switch and no improvement. Must be the mother board. You never try you never know!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Yes... but I just did the switch and no improvement. Must be the mother board. You never try you never know!
By switch I assume you mean power supply swap.

Try it with the borrowed supply and the combo plug removed from the hard drive so that all you get is the Welcome screen and see if you still have the problem.

(also check the caps on the borrowed supply, they're just as likely to be counterfeit/defective and need replacing soon)

Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
naranja

Yes, did the power supply swap to no avail. The borrowed supply looked completely different than the one in the defective machine but had no bulgers. I don't follow as to the welcome screen, it dispays fine in the defective box, it's only when I'm viewing a cable channel that I see snow. Thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Yes, did the power supply swap to no avail. The borrowed supply looked completely different than the one in the defective machine but had no bulgers. I don't follow as to the welcome screen, it dispays fine in the defective box, it's only when I'm viewing a cable channel that I see snow. Thanks
Okay, I'm following your saga and this one

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=490802

as well and seem to have gotten my wires crossed a little.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
The borrowed supply looked completely different than the one in the defective machine but had no bulgers.
Are you sure it came from another TivoHD? It shouldn't look "completely different".

Power supplies are not generally swappable between models.

Look at this list and tell us which power supply most closely resembles the one you tried to swap in.

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Are you sure it came from another TivoHD? It shouldn't look "completely different".

Look at this list and tell us which power supply most closely resembles the one you tried to swap in.

You see how the S3 and the HD and HD XL supplies look very similar except for heat sink color?

My HD supply looks like neither.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
naranja

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

Both boxes are TCD652160's. The one in my bad box looks like the one on weaknees. I can't remember the name but the big capacitor on that one was one that people seemed to have had problems with here, although it looked fine. Both had the anchor screws in the exact same places but they were completely different geography as to capacitors etc.

Maybe someone else can pipe in. I've got them put back together now but if it's a real curiosity, I can take a picture.