TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
MMaleto

Angry 1 year and 8 days - then crash!

I am very upset....1 year and 8 days and my premier dies...GSOD!

Called and they said it needs repair/replacement. Although I normally do not do it, I did buy the extended warranty.

I am a VERY light user, rarely record anything and cannot remember when I did a rewind to repeat a scene. AGaqin VERY light user.

I will get a new one in a couple of days, butin those few days I will decide if I want/need Tivo.....IMO, it is not worth the monthly fee (for my useage history). The way I see it, I can watch my owned movies via Roku or Apple TV. The way I see it, I can save a few bucks each month. As a mater of fact, my wife just asked me, "what does tivo do for us?"....I told her and she said "I never do that"!!!

So, once I get the new Tivo in a few days, I need to be sold why I need/want Tivo. Anyone care to tell me why?

The ONLY thing I liked about Tivo was the guide (you may stop laughing now)

Thanks,
Mike
MMaleto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
replaytv
LovesPanda licorice

Tivo is so you never have to watch anything that you don't want to watch, and you never have to say 'I have to go or I'll miss my TV show'! And when the phone rings from your best friend, you just press the 'pause' button. Your friend is more important than any TV show.

If you don't have HD TVs, buy a Series 2 single tuner with lifetime off of eBay and you won't have to pay a fee and they last almost forever.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Tivo is so you never have to watch anything that you don't want to watch, and you never have to say 'I have to go or I'll miss my TV show'! And when the phone rings from your best friend, you just press the 'pause' button.
And also you never sit down and have nothing to watch (TiVo Suggestions).

Sounds like the original poster really doesn't need a DVR. That's OK. The Premiere can be an expensive "solution" to a problem that doesn't exist for some people.

Last edited by crxssi : 02-20-2012 at 03:40 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If this isn't a case for "you're doing it wrong", I don't know what is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Tivo is so you never have to watch anything that you don't want to watch, and you never have to say 'I have to go or I'll miss my TV show'! And when the phone rings from your best friend, you just press the 'pause' button. Your friend is more important than any TV show.
The great thing about a TiVo is that you never have to miss your shows again. But the "terror of TiVo" is that, no matter how tight your schedule gets, you'll never miss your shows again: they'll all be sitting there demanding that you find time to watch them. Sometimes you have to just say no and delete things that you wish you had time to watch.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMaleto View Post
I am very upset....1 year and 8 days and my premier dies...GSOD!

Called and they said it needs repair/replacement. Although I normally do not do it, I did buy the extended warranty.

I am a VERY light user, rarely record anything and cannot remember when I did a rewind to repeat a scene. AGaqin VERY light user.

I will get a new one in a couple of days, butin those few days I will decide if I want/need Tivo.....IMO, it is not worth the monthly fee (for my useage history). The way I see it, I can watch my owned movies via Roku or Apple TV. The way I see it, I can save a few bucks each month. As a mater of fact, my wife just asked me, "what does tivo do for us?"....I told her and she said "I never do that"!!!

So, once I get the new Tivo in a few days, I need to be sold why I need/want Tivo. Anyone care to tell me why?

The ONLY thing I liked about Tivo was the guide (you may stop laughing now)

Thanks,
Mike
Well no one is a "light" user your Premiere was recording 2 channels continuously for the its whole life. Regarding why you want/need a TiVo only you can decide that. I can tell you what a DVR is for and you can decide if you want or need one, I personally couldn't stand watching TV without one. So here are some things that you can/should be using your TiVo for:
  1. To allow you to watch your favorite TV shows when you want to (Time shifting)
  2. To allow you to fast forward or skip through commercials
  3. To help you find new shows/moves that you would like
  4. To be able to pause what ever you are watching and rewind it.
  5. To have access to 2 weeks of guide data.
  6. To have access to various paid Internet video services (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix,ect)
  7. To have access to various free pod cast (I have my TiVo auto download a half dozen per day)
  8. To have access to free Internet service like Pandora ect
  9. To stream music, personal videos, Pictures etc from you home computer to your TV.
Like I said I could not stand watching TV without 1 & 2. If any of the above have any value to you is up to you.

Good Luck
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
  1. To allow you to watch your favorite TV shows when you want to (Time shifting)
  2. To allow you to fast forward or skip through commercials
  3. To help you find new shows/moves that you would like
Those are the biggest reasons for me.

1.) You are no longer tied to the TV schedule. Watch what you want, when you want. If you want to watch a show like Celebrity Apprentice but don't have the time/patience to sit through it for two hours on Sunday night, watch a little now, the rest later when you have some free time.

2.) Why waste time sitting through 16-18 minutes an hour of commercials that provide no entertainment value? Skip the commercials and you'll find you can watch 3 hours of programming in about 2 hours, leaving more free time to watch other shows or to do other things.

3.) Re: finding new shows - Suggestions aside, being able to record a later airing of a cable show opens up an earlier time slot to sample other programs that air at that time, or vice versa, catch a cable show that was conflicting with a show you currently watch. You can also scan through the guide to find shows that you may find interesting but don't necessarily want to watch right now. Record it. If you have some free time later, you can give it a shot. Plus, you'll never be able to say that there is nothing to watch anymore as you'll always have a few spare shows saved up.

To the OP, do you have any interest like sports, history, movies, etc.? You can set up a wishlist to catch programs on topics that may interest you that you didn't even know existed.

If you aren't doing at least some of these things, like Steve said, you're doing it wrong.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
The great thing about a TiVo is that you never have to miss your shows again. But the "terror of TiVo" is that, no matter how tight your schedule gets, you'll never miss your shows again: they'll all be sitting there demanding that you find time to watch them. Sometimes you have to just say no and delete things that you wish you had time to watch.
You can have a life, or you can have a TiVo.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
Sam Ray

I am interested in knowing what the failure was but I assume you do not know. As you indicate, hardware such as this should not fail so quickly.
Sam Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ray View Post
I am interested in knowing what the failure was but I assume you do not know. As you indicate, hardware such as this should not fail so quickly.
It shouldn't but as with all electronics - stuff happens and some small percentage of units will have a hard drive failure. A small percentage of hard drives fail no matter if they are in your computer or TiVo and someone has to have bought the unit that those hard drives that have an early end of life in them.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
It shouldn't but as with all electronics - stuff happens and some small percentage of units will have a hard drive failure. A small percentage of hard drives fail no matter if they are in your computer or TiVo and someone has to have bought the unit that those hard drives that have an early end of life in them.
Exactly. I have a drive that I installed 10 months ago that is starting to fail. Meanwhile, I have a drive that has been going strong for 7 years in my first Tivo.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
heyted

Quote:
IMO, it is not worth the monthly fee (for my useage history).
I do not pay a monthly fee, and I have not paid a lifetime fee.

Quote:
I need to be sold why I need/want Tivo. Anyone care to tell me why?
I need/want my Tivo Premiere because it will allow me to retire earlier than if I rented a cable box. I do not pay any money to TiVo Inc or Comcast. My home owners association fee includes cable (about 200 channels). The bulk Comcast account I am in does not allow even one cable box without a monthly rental fee. I originally bought my Premiere as an alternative to the free digital transport adapter available to me, and the extras described at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=462985&page=2 are icing on the cake. It has been working great for months.

Quote:
The ONLY thing I liked about Tivo was the guide
One of the things I don't have on my living room tv is the TiVo guide, but I have my tv guide on my Android tablet phone right beside me.
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post
I do not pay a monthly fee, and I have not paid a lifetime fee.
Then what you're stealing service? TiVos require service to record. So unless you're using it only a dumb tuner you have to be getting service somehow. And if you are just using it as a dumb tuner then you wasted your money because there are much cheaper devices that can do that.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post
I do not pay any money to TiVo Inc or Comcast.

To clarify, I do not directly pay Comcast. Comcast still gets my money indirectly.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Then what you're stealing service?
No sir. I am not stealing service, using service, or doing anything wrong in any way. I am not using any of the six items that define the TiVo service as specified at http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/polici...agreement.html .

Quote:
TiVos require service to record. So unless you're using it only a dumb tuner you have to be getting service somehow.
The status (possibly temporary status?) of my Premiere is similar to post #1 and #8 at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=384605 , except it is a Premiere instead of a S2, and I purchased the used Premiere from a third party instead of TiVo Inc. I do not see any reason why I would be obligated to connect my Premiere to a network or update the software version. Also, I have read that discussing recording without service on this forum is forbidden, but it is not clear if this rule applies to manual recording and pausing live tv.

Quote:
And if you are just using it as a dumb tuner then you wasted your money because there are much cheaper devices that can do that.
Since the new FCC rules went into effect on August 8, 2011, it is easier for cable subscribers to obtain CableCARDs (http://www.fcc.gov/guides/digital-ca...-ready-devices). Even though the cards are now easy and cheap or free to obtain, the availability of low-cost CableCARD-ready tuners is extremely limited -- especially those that do not require a computer. My search for a CableCARD-ready tuner that can connect directly to a HDTV using a HDMI cable and can pause live tv resulted in zero devices that are as cost effective as a used TiVo Premiere.