TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
marbs

series 2 channel changing oddity

Hi. We have a series 2 with a dedicated cable box that has been working just fine for several years, until recently. Now, though, it fumbles the channel changing about, say, 40 percent of the time, so that we get a recording, but of the wrong channel.

If, for example, we're recording Jon Stewart, which for us is on channel 61, we can see it punch in 0-6, but it quits there and records 30 minutes of news on channel 6. This is the most common mistake, but as I say, it does the same sort of thing (sometimes it's the middle digit it fails to get, so that we see, say channel 31 instead of 301.).

Another part of this oddity is that it VERY seldomly fails to switch to Colbert, which is on the same channel as stewart, just a half hour later. So it is somehow incapable of punching out 0-6-1 at 11, but then it's fine at 11:30, without any manual adjustment!

It has never failed to attempt the change. And, it has never, so far as I know, switched to, say, channel 78 when we asked for, say, 301. And, so far as I can tell, it's not as if one particular digit is broken, which would be silly anyway.

I've checked several times, and the IR blasters (i saw that term on this site, and believe I'm using it correctly) are pointed properly. This makes sense, since the set-up worked, as i said, for several years. And, of course, if they weren't, why would we get the channel we want 60 percent of the time?

Would love some help. Just don't have a clue.

Mike P.
marbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Payle

You know, my Series 2 (toshiba SD-H400) started doing the same darn thing about 2-3 weeks ago. It's very frustrating to come home expecting to watch "Sportscenter" and end up with an hour of "Judge Judy"...

I've never had a problem in the past...ever. I've even cleaned the IR Blasters and reseated the connection in the back of the unit. I've made sure they are the right distance from the cable box. I can't figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Payle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
alfordsteven

Channel Changing

Same for me, with something of a twist. I had scientific atlanta and thought it was the box. I switched boxes (Comcast) to Motorola. Now it won't change channels at all! It works if I manually change the cable box, but not via Tivo.

Bummer.

Steve
alfordsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
DeathRider

IR blaster might have went bad.

When I had my moto box, I used the serial cable. Unfortunately, they replaced it with a cheaper smaller box that has no serial cable input, no clock, no buttons on the the box (not even on/off) - without the remote, cable box is useless
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
elliottk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbs
Hi. We have a series 2 with a dedicated cable box that has been working just fine for several years, until recently. Now, though, it fumbles the channel changing about, say, 40 percent of the time, so that we get a recording, but of the wrong channel.
I have noticed the same thing. Are you on Comcast? We are on Comcast and have a DCT2244. It was working reasonably OK, but in the last few weeks sometime, something changed. I am guessing that comcast 'updated' the software on the cable box and broke the Tivo channel changing somehow. I have been playing with some other IR codes from other threads without much luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbs
Another part of this oddity is that it VERY seldomly fails to switch to Colbert, which is on the same channel as stewart, just a half hour later. So it is somehow incapable of punching out 0-6-1 at 11, but then it's fine at 11:30, without any manual adjustment!
This is because it treats each recording separately and attempts to change the channel before each show, even if it is already supposed to be on the correct channel. It even changes the channel again after the end of the recording.

If anyone with this problem has more time to find a solution, please share! I had been using 00093-B before this problem started. One of my boxes may or may not be working better with 10046-B now, but the other box doesn't like that code as much. (Both the same model.)
elliottk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
alfordsteven

Try A Serial Cable

The Motorola box I got in the swap from Comcast turned out to be a bit more sophisticated than the Scientific Atlanta one, with a serial port on the back. I ditched the RF blasters and attached the serial wire. Channels change correctly and more quickly. Yipeee!

Now if I could just get it to show the time rather than the channel on the readout . . .

Steve
alfordsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
catew

We're having the same problem and it's driving me crazy. I actually logged in here to see if there were any reports of IR blasters failing over time. We have Comcast digital cable (motorola DCT 2000), a series 2 TIVO, the aforementioned IR blaster, and no new remotes or equipment in the room at all (so I can't imagine a new source of interference).

Could this be a TIVO software issue? We don't have the option of serial control here. Our Comcast area is Motorola only for the digital cable, and they have no plans to turn on the serial ports. Drives me crazy.

Any ideas? I'm really getting very unhappy with my TIVO missing shows. We've had it for over 3 years now, and I have grown to depend on it. When it lets me down like this, it isn't pretty.
catew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
jheydt

I posted on another similar thread. Have been having this problem ever since we got the new service upgrade. It mostly occurs when I want to record something on the local channels, 2,6, and 9. We have directtv and use a serial connection. I guess this problem is both with ir blasters and serial connections. Really drives me crazy when I want to record something and watch it an unfortunately something else was recorded.

John
jheydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
Brian LaRose

I have also experienced this problem since the latest TiVo software upgrade. The problem was affecting my recordings about 30% of the time. I was able to reduce it to about 5% by changing the delay that the TiVo sends each number of the channel over IR to the slowest. It is somewhat annoying changing the channel for live TV because it takes about 2-2.5 seconds to complete the change now, but at least I get to watch the programs I set up to record now.

Brian
Brian LaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #10
MusicMama

Have any of you noticed a similar problem when using the Tivo remote to change channels? What I've seen is that the remote seems to work just fine, but when the IR blaster tries to change channels that things get screwed up. And my comcast moto HD box can only use the IR blaster, no serial port working.

It seems to be worse on my older S2 (240 vs 540 number), which stinks because that's the only one that TivoToGo works on - I had moved (meaning set up new ones) a bunch of season passes from the 540 to the 240 so that I could download them, since the 240 didn't lose TTG in the last update.

None of this happened before the now infamous 8.1 upgrade.
MusicMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #11
RedMan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian LaRose
I was able to reduce it to about 5% by changing the delay that the TiVo sends each number of the channel over IR to the slowest.
How do you change the delay??

I'm having the same problem by the way. I thought I would just go in and change the delay to see if it would help, but I didn't see any settings for that. It just walked me through the channel change wizard again (did the channel change? Yes, No, yes but to the wrong channel, etc...)

This is SO annoying!
RedMan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
Auston

My Channel Changing Oddities

I discovered a few weeks back that sometimes it would take nearly 10 seconds to change to any of my local channels (any under 62, which is my highest). I restarted the TiVo and it was back to normal. Then, it would happen again. I'd repeat the restart and it would be corrected.

I discoverd that it was occuring (continuously) after I tried to tune into a channel that didn't have a signal (i.e., I punched in a wrong number...too many cocktails ). After that, it would be slow to change to all the lower channels again.

Since then, I have discovered that if I go through the channel changing set-up procedure, but don't change any of the settings, it's back to working fine. It's sort of a workaround that's quicker than a restart, but still a pain in the you know what.

FYI...I've tried using serial and IR, but it happens the same with both.

Any ideas what's happening?

Thanks.
Auston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
chrissysdaddy

I have been having the same problem for about two months now. Used the same tivo, cable box and 'cardboard/electrical tape' tent covering the entire front end of the cable box for the last two or three years. I am getting tired of watching soap operas instead of what I want!
chrissysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
chrissysdaddy

CCWF has a great post regarding cable box codes and speeds here:

~~~~ Censored By the Mods ~~~~

I tried his suggested code for my Motorola box, and it is working great now. I will know by tomorrow morning if it works for unattended recordings and will let you all know.

Also, to enter your own codes (which are listed on CCWF's post), goto Settings...Channels...Channel Changing... and go thru the Advanced settings.

Good luck, and Thanks CCWF!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
chrissysdaddy

The board says I need 5 posts before I can post a link. (even though it is there own page) so here I go

Old 02-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #16
chrissysdaddy

Old 02-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
chrissysdaddy

Old 02-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
chrissysdaddy

Old 02-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #19
chrissysdaddy

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=128743

Hope this helps all you that are frustrated as I was!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #20
Sue Denym

I am having nearly the same experience that jheydt and others have had. Except that I use a serial connector with a digital cable motorola dct2000 (or close to that, I'm going by memory).

I used the serial connection with a series 2 single tuner for 3 years and never had a channel changing problem. Then I got a series 2 dual tuner about a month ago and the problem began happening. The tivo thinks it changed to the proper channel but it is a channel off. This is only with one local channel (channel 6). I realize that the frequency is rather rare and it's not that big of an issue. But I find it odd that others have had the same problem show up at around the same time.
Sue Denym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #21
HTH
No Avatar Selected

This could also be the mystro problem I've reported earlier.

However, I have more to report on this problem. Last week I found all three cable boxes had restarted on a Wednesday morning, including one not controlled by a TiVo. On a hunch, I turned Suggestions back on and the problems of aborted channel changes no longer occurs. I don't know if they fixed the problem in the cable boxes or that the clocks in the box and the TiVos have skewed enough from each other to avoid the bug, but I've been successfully recording Suggestions for a week now. (Lincoln, NE has been one of the beta testing locations for Time Warner Cable's new mystro software replacing the Passport software on the Scientific Atlanta cable boxes.)

▘▘▀▌▌▘▀▘▌▘▀▘▙▌▐▖▙▘▙▌▌▘▙▘▙▘▟▘
▛▌▛▌▛▌▙▌▛▌▟▖▌▘▛▌▞▌▌▘▌▖▞▌▞▌▟▘

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #22
rablake

My motorola box gets stuck after California Electronic Alert Bulletins. The Motorola box sticks with "EAS" on the display and then the next SP recording picks off an incorrect channel. When I notice the EAS, I turn the Motorola box off and the back on and the next SP records correctly. What to do?? Thanks
rablake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #23
unclepoo

Motorola DCT 2244 and Tivo Series 2
I don't know how to post a new Post, so I will have to post a reply, I have a Toshiba RS-TX60 Series 2 TIVO with Basic, I also have Insight Cable.
Insight as with most Cable Companies is getting rid of Analog Cable. So I had to go from using the built in tuner to recording on channel 4 with a "Minibox" DTA adapter. so I hooked up the IR emitter and set it up, and all was well, but we wanted to upgrade, So we signed up for the digital service and were given a Motorola DCT 2244. Took a while setting it up, but it worked.
However where as we never had one problem with the channel changing using the minibox, This is not the experience with the new Motorola Digital box.
I've never seen it not work when changing manually, but when it comes to the to do list
you never know what channel you will be recording. I tried to set it up to use the Serial port, but apparently Insight does not have it enabled.

Questions
1.What is the best IR Emitter I can get to work with this Tivo, and will it help this problem?

2. what is the purpose of the dual emitters, and do they help or hurt?

3. What do I need to tell a tech they need to do to enable the Serial port, and How do I go about convincing them to do it.

4. what Fully Digital (not minibox DTA's) carried by insight are completely compatible with the Tivo series 2, and how do I go about getting one to replace the 2244
unclepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #24
classicsat
Astute User

1. The best is the Gary Gray TiVo DTA cable. It is not IR at all, rather it direcly couple's TiVo's electrical IR signal to the electrical IR input on a cable DTA box (mostly used by Comcast). Second would be any compatible 5mm IR blaster, third TiVo's dual 3mm IR cable. I use a 5MM LED blaster I made, and it works 100%, although with an older Motorola satellite box.

2. Really for two boxes. Except for the Series 2 DT, the Series 1/2 TiVos can support two boxes, so long as one is satellite and the other a cable or antenna box. One box would connect with A/V, the other RF. It also can be used to provide more coverage.

3. I don't know.

4. All recent boxes should be TiVo compatible, using IR blaster at least.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #25
mjjg

COLOR="Blue"]i am also having the same problem after my show is over i sometimes see the channel changing to a different station? i have a Verizon Motorola box, does anyone know what to do[/color]?[/b][/b]
mjjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
dz2k

dz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
dz2k

Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #28
dz2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissysdaddy View Post

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=128743

Hope this helps all you that are frustrated as I was!
i didnt think about that. thanks.