TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
johnmoorejohn

Breaking Bad S05E04 "Fifty-One" OAD 8.5.12

I really enjoyed this episode. There seemed to be subtle humor all throughout.

What of the time bomb watch? Just pure fun by the writers? Or more to it?
johnmoorejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmoorejohn View Post

What of the time bomb watch? Just pure fun by the writers? Or more to it?
What'd you mean? Is it a symbol for Walter being a ticking time bomb or foreshadowing that he will be BLOWN up?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
pmyers

wow...that scene with Walt and Skylar was intense. I imagine thats what it must be like for a women in a abusive (mentally or physically) relationship......but I wasn't ready for her to bring up the cancer!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
robojerk

I'm kind of surprised Skylar didn't just ask Walt to leave the house.
"I'll clean your money, keep my mouth shut, let you see your kids, etc, etc. You just can't stay here. Our relationship is over, you're not the man I married anymore."
Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
What'd you mean? Is it a symbol for Walter being a ticking time bomb or foreshadowing that he will be BLOWN up?
It may be more along the lines of 'everything coming to an end' and time's running out for Walt.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB

It may be more along the lines of 'everything coming to an end' and time's running out for Walt.
I think it's a callback to when Mike said Walt is just a ticking time bomb about to go boom.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
This episode has led me to actively dislike Skylar. I think she needs to have an accident.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
This episode has led me to actively dislike Skylar. I think she needs to have an accident.
Speaking of accident(s), do you think that the dinner discussion with regards to Junior's new car and how he drives is any indication of what may happen during the season to push everyone over the edge?
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
In the first season (maybe include season 2) for some reason I viewed Skylar as kind of emasculating toward Walter, and I have never really grown fond of her character.

In the first season I always saw Hank as the self proclaimed macho male of this extended family, and sometimes he would bully Walt (in a friendly manner) and I had some issue liking him at first too. However now I see Hank as a very nice guy, who just has a macho male mentality. Hank has also been through a whole lot. The shoot out with Tucco, the prank call saying his wife was in the hospital when he had Jesse and Walter cornered in the RV, the tortoise exploding killing the other DEA agents and him as the sole survivor, the shootout with the cousins, recovery. I think physically, Walt's journey has effected Hank more than anyone else.

However those first impressions of Hank and Skylar also revolved around the idea of how sympathetic Walter White was back then. Now he's a total monster and while I still may not like Skylar all that much, I do fell her terror.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk
"I'll clean your money, keep my mouth shut, let you see your kids, etc, etc. You just can't stay here. Our relationship is over, you're not the man I married anymore."
She doesn't need to say the words, he knows that's what she wants. He won't let her have it. He made that very clear when he moved back in without permission.

I loved that she explained her plan, wait for the cancer to get him, and then is sitting there smoking. "Don't mind me, just furthering my master plan."
Old 08-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
Speaking of accident(s), do you think that the dinner discussion with regards to Junior's new car and how he drives is any indication of what may happen during the season to push everyone over the edge?
Yeah. I was thinking that when we din't see the Challenger in the driveway Junior had already wrapped it around a utility pole.

Did you see the symbolism? We see the window outside REFLECTED IN THE WATER OF THE POOL and then SKYLER went into the pool!

I say that Skyler is due to have some Ricin in her cereal or cigarette.

Lydia can now ID PINK man. If Mike did a hit and she survived she can ID Jesse, and Hank will be on the trail.

I've been wondering why Hank never went back to Jesse, - other than that order of protection thing - but he must be thinking that Jesse and the RV lab were small time and had nothing to do with Fring's operation. Imagine if Hank or other DEA had visited Jesse's house and found the money when he had all of the dopers hanging out. The neighbors never complained?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
If Mike did a hit and she survived
If Walt finds Jesus, he'll stop cooking.

Neither would ever happen.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmoorejohn View Post
Subtle? More like beating over the head, the bumbliness of the Madrigal woman seemed out of place in Breaking Bad to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
wow...that scene with Walt and Skylar was intense. I imagine thats what it must be like for a women in a abusive (mentally or physically) relationship......but I wasn't ready for her to bring up the cancer!
They've really been focusing on Skyler's situation as of late. I don't mind it much, even though I don't like her as a person/character, she's in an unbearable situation and the audience is living it through her.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
I know! I literally said "ouch!" aloud after hearing that.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin

She doesn't need to say the words, he knows that's what she wants. He won't let her have it. He made that very clear when he moved back in without permission.

I loved that she explained her plan, wait for the cancer to get him, and then is sitting there smoking. "Don't mind me, just furthering my master plan."
I changed from disliking this character to loving her and feeling her frustration. I hope she has a hand in taking Walt out.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
VegasVic
Craps Player

"We're putting together a surveillance team". What the hell took so long? In other threads the lack of surveillance was brushed off by "Mike would know how to identify and lose a tail".

And I can't believe they haven't been tailing Jesse.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
She's terrified of Walt. We've now had three out of four episodes this season focusing on the fact that Skylar is basically a trembling prisoner in her own house and in her own marriage. She has two kids and the only thing she can think of to protect them is to pretend like she's suicidal to manipulate her sister into taking the kids away from Walt.

A year ago Walt was a mild-mannered chemistry teacher. Now he's "the one who knocks" and he personally took out the most dangerous drug kingpin in the Southwest WITH A BOMB! She kicked him out once before, back when she felt like she had some kind of control over him, but she clearly no longer has any control, and both she and Walt know this. This is why she has no other option but to hope that the cancer returns soon and kills him.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Test

"the one who knocks"

I hear this a lot regarding this show, what's the meaning of it? I watched all the seasons before this latest one premiered and I know it's something Walt said, but why is it so big? Is it from something else?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
"the one who knocks"

I hear this a lot regarding this show, what's the meaning of it? I watched all the seasons before this latest one premiered and I know it's something Walt said, but why is it so big? Is it from something else?
No, it's something Walt said to Skylar in S4. I don't remember the exact situation, but the basic idea was that Walt was afraid that Gus was coming after him, he'd made a comment to Skylar about that, and she was trying to encourage him to go to the police and turn himself in because that was better than being afraid to open the door. Walt, with all his hubris and bravado, could not accept the fact that Gus had the upper hand on him and so his response to Skylar was a very emphatic, very indignant speech about how he holds the cards, he calls the shots. He ended with, "I am the one who knocks." He clearly was just puffing out his own chest at that point, but there's been a noticeable change in Skylar since that point. That's what prompted her to take Holly and run away to the Four Corners. She's petrified of Walt ever since then, because that comment made her realize that Walt was no longer just a pawn in this whole game, but that he was the one causing things to happen.

Watch the scene again, then you'll understand:

I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 08-06-2012 at 04:09 PM.
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Hey, Walt, reassuring Skyler that you're all safe by telling her the watch came from a guy "who was holding a gun right between my eyes" is probably not a good move. It's not the thing she needs to hear to stop being afraid of and for you.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #21
pmyers

Walt sure changes any time that hat is around!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Not so much anymore...he's nearly completely morphed into Heisenburg...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #23
robojerk

Walt sure has been wearing a lot of red lately.

Anyone else catch the mug next to Skylar had the number 51 on it? Was the name of the episode and Walt's Birthday.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #24
robojerk

Quote:
Notice the loose threads on the hat?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:

Anyone else catch the mug next to Skylar had the number 51 on it? Was the name of the episode and Walt's Birthday.
I only see a "5". I don't see a "1".
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #26
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Not so much anymore...he's nearly completely morphed into Heisenburg...
My point being that both times the hat showed up this episode: When he picked up the car and then sold it for $50 and at the end when he said the train aint stopping...he made irrational decisions.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #27
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

I assumed it was what she (or someone) gave Walt for his birthday, and the fact that she was using it as an ashtray was her way of symbolically "crapping" on Walt. It was all she dared to do.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #28
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
In the scene, the camera pans to the right allowing you to see more of the mug. This gif file was the best I could find.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #29
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I assumed it was what she (or someone) gave Walt for his birthday, and the fact that she was using it as an ashtray was her way of symbolically "crapping" on Walt. It was all she dared to do.
The camera does pan when Walt first heads toward the bedroom showing the '1'. Later in the scene they get a clear enough shot of the mug that you can make out that it says, "Danger - Entering Area 51". I took it the way DevdogAZ stated it.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #30
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Furthermore, the mug is seen earlier in the episode on the patio table with the rest of the birthday presents.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote