TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
ghuido

TIVO Wireless N Adapter - Closing Thoughts

Well Last night, I decided to just stop trying to use the TIVO Wireless N Adapter.

Every couple of weeks it would drop the connection to the network. I think it was related when the IP Lease Expired. I had set it to a static IP Address to try to avoid any issues.

Without fail every 2 weeks it would crap out and the TIVO would get DNS / GAteware errors. The Box could not connect to the TIVO Service anymore.

In the end, I decided to take out the TIVO Wireless N Adapter and use a Dlink DAP-1522 Wireless Bridge. Haven't had any issues since.

Just posting my own personal experiience with the Wirelss Adapter. Everyones milage may vary.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
philw1776

Already had my 1st Wireless N adapter outage. Power cycled router, adapter, etc. to fix. If this annoyance continues it's wireless bridge or better yet MOCA for me.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
Well Last night, I decided to just stop trying to use the TIVO Wireless N Adapter.

Every couple of weeks it would drop the connection to the network. I think it was related when the IP Lease Expired. I had set it to a static IP Address to try to avoid any issues.

Without fail every 2 weeks it would crap out and the TIVO would get DNS / GAteware errors. The Box could not connect to the TIVO Service anymore.

In the end, I decided to take out the TIVO Wireless N Adapter and use a Dlink DAP-1522 Wireless Bridge. Haven't had any issues since.

Just posting my own personal experiience with the Wirelss Adapter. Everyones milage may vary.
what static ip address are you using? I have the non tivo n bridge and setting the tivo ip one above or below what the static ip works for me.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
ghuido

The adpater had X.X.X.130 and the TIVO had X.X.X.131

Worked when the adapter could keep a lock on the Network.

I have had DAP 1522 for my other TIVO's and had never had issues for 2 years.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
falken98

I have 2 tivo units, both with wireless N adapters. One would always do the same thing you described, the other one however worked just fine.

I recently switched to MOCA and could not be happier. I highly suggest going that route.
falken98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
The adpater had X.X.X.130 and the TIVO had X.X.X.131

Worked when the adapter could keep a lock on the Network.

I have had DAP 1522 for my other TIVO's and had never had issues for 2 years.
You should have kept using the DAP1522 units. They cost around the same as the TiVo wireless N adapters now and should even be faster.(plus you can connect other devices to the DAP1522) I know with my DAP1522 units, I can get identical speeds from my TiVos as when they are connected to my wired portion of my network.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
ghuido

You are right I should have just kept to the DAP 1522. NEver had a problem. Been able to push I think around 50 MB/s over Wireless N 5 GHZ on them.

I just though to give the TIVO Wirelss N Adapter a spin. Nope. Fail.