TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
rijowysock

Adding WD My Book AV DVR Expander... hours of booting?

turned everything off, connected the WD..... let it boot up 30 seconds..

turned on the TiVo Premiere,

i get the loading, the black screen, the almost there, the black screen and then almost there and never finishes..

is there a proper order to turn everything on? the directions said WD first and then DVR.... but its just not doing anything, i swear the only problem i have with the Premiere is the insanely long boot time.!

-riley
rijowysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
rijowysock

some people online say the Esata Cable is faulty that comes with it and to replace, would this cause the unending boot tho?
rijowysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
urwathrtz
Death Metal Dad

Just bought one off New Egg. Out of the 7 reviews I saw, 3 said something about a faulty eSATA cable that came with the unit. Got a New cable with it too just in case
urwathrtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
joejet

Same here... bought the 3' cable most got.

1) Plug in Drive
2) Plug in cable to Tivo then Drive
3) Go to settings and tell Tivo you have the drive

Worked like a charm, took about 5 min or so for Tivo to set itself up.
joejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
rsnaider

Mine took about 20 minutes to boot the first time. Try to reseat the cable and make sure it is fully inserted.

Should be a simple and quick process unless you have a bad HD or cable.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Pro - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
1999cobra
I HATE Vermont

I did get a new cable as I read the problems here before purchase so I headed off the problem -

However, when I hooked up my WD when everything was off and turned it all on together it didn't recognize the drive.

Only recognized when my Tivo was on and then I plugged in the esata and drive - everything works as it should no problems so far states I now have 192 hours of HD recording capacity ...
1999cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Risuli

I can confirm the bad eSATA cable sent with the unit. I received mine last week from Amazon and tried the cable supplied. Tivo Premiere just hung on start up. Though I had read the reviews and even bought a replacement cable via Amazon, the cable was sent by a third party in the U.S. Mail and still hasn't been received. So, I purchased a cable from Best Buy (at a very inflated price), hooked it up and the unit was recognized and is now working properly. So, word of warning, though Western Digital has "Tivo compatible" all over the box and advertising, the cables they include do not appear to work with the Tivo Premiere.
Risuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
1999cobra
I HATE Vermont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risuli View Post
I can confirm the bad eSATA cable sent with the unit. I received mine last week from Amazon and tried the cable supplied. Tivo Premiere just hung on start up. Though I had read the reviews and even bought a replacement cable via Amazon, the cable was sent by a third party in the U.S. Mail and still hasn't been received. So, I purchased a cable from Best Buy (at a very inflated price), hooked it up and the unit was recognized and is now working properly. So, word of warning, though Western Digital has "Tivo compatible" all over the box and advertising, the cables they include do not appear to work with the Tivo Premiere.
Cables are definately bad, bad, bad ... DO NOT USE SUPPLIED CABLES with the WD drive
1999cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Player01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999cobra View Post
I did get a new cable as I read the problems here before purchase so I headed off the problem -

However, when I hooked up my WD when everything was off and turned it all on together it didn't recognize the drive.

Only recognized when my Tivo was on and then I plugged in the esata and drive - everything works as it should no problems so far states I now have 192 hours of HD recording capacity ...
This worked for me, too. I was getting frustrated that TiVo was not recognizing my external drive after I followed all their instructions but then I read this post.

With everything hooked up and running, I disconnected the eSATA from my expander and then reconnected it. This didn't initiate the external drive setup, but when I went into the menus and selected external storage, it finally showed that there was an external drive and it allowed me to initiate the setup.
Player01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
kctipton

I just hooked up my WD MyBook AV to the Premiere to expand (it's Olympics time after all). It wouldn't recognize. Googling about it suggested that the cables don't plug in far enough to contact the pins. The recommendation is to use an xacto knife and cut off 1-2 MM of rubber from the edge of the cables to help the metal go in farther. Taa daa -- it recognized the drive. No need for new cable, just make sure you can clearly see the triangular notches in the side of the cable ends and you'll know you trimmed enough rubber.

Now, different problem -- after all that I get this unexpected message that my drive isn't "supported." The heck it isn't. Off to try to figure that out now.
kctipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
logicman

Sounds like you still have a cable issue.
logicman is offline   Reply With Quote