TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
cannonz

Offer

http://www3.tivo.com/promo/buy-premi....mc_id=ON12004 Very tempting.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

That is the best offer I have seen, even if it is just a 45HR Premiere.

Especially for a first time Buyer with no MSD.
NVM: I see you need a Qualifying TSN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 08-02-2012 at 11:18 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
cannonz

I qualify they sent offer to the one I bothered to put in my name, and not to one I didn't. I assume anyone that qualifies for MSD does for this too.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
unitron

So that's the old 320GB Premiere, not the 500GB Premiere, right?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Looks like a great deal. You can buy it for less than the going price for a used TiVo on ebay!
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
That is the best offer I have seen, even if it is just a 45HR Premiere.

Especially for a first time Buyer with no MSD.
NVM: I see you need a Qualifying TSN
I wonder what a qualifying TSN actually is?

I've tried both my lifetimed S1s, didn't even get the error messages.

Tried my monthly S3, one of my monthly S2s, and one of my lifetimed S2s, got a not eligible message.

To whom do they want to sell these?

Okay, actually I'm getting a TSN not valid message.

If you try to put it in with the hyphens, it won't take that many characters.

It will only take 15 characters, so I wonder if someone said set it up for 15 and forgot about the hyphens so that when it checks it against the database it doesn't find a match because the database has the hyphens, or maybe they said set it up for 15 numbers, forgetting that the TSN is a hexadecimal number which includes A-F, and so it's choking on the letters.

Otherwise, I guess they don't really want my money.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

None of my 3 Lifetime Premieres qualify, according to the site.
I did not receive an email regarding this offer either. So I too wonder who the target audience is?
Not sure if it means anything but the URL says "s2upgrade" tivo.com/promo/buy-premiere/s2upgrade/

"Sorry, the TSN is invalid. If you feel you received this message in error and would like to confirm your eligibility, please call (877) 289-8486 to speak with a Customer Service Representative."

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 08-03-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
None of my 3 Lifetime Premieres qualify, according to the site.
I did not receive an email regarding this offer either. So I too wonder who the target audience is?

"Sorry, the TSN is invalid. If you feel you received this message in error and would like to confirm your eligibility, please call (877) 289-8486 to speak with a Customer Service Representative."

We apologize for any inconvenience.
I didn't get the email either.

Not that I was really anxious to buy a Premiere.

Do they even do analog cable?

Old 08-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Yes, a 2 Tuner Premiere can do analog cable.

Do you actually still have any relevant analog channels that are not duplicated in digital SD and HD? No HD channel is going to be analog anyway.

I only have 1 analog channel available in my CableCARD lineup, and I think it is a mistake, because the same channel on my Cox receiver is in digital, it is a duplicate of PBS anyway.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #10
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
I only have 1 analog channel available in my CableCARD lineup, and I think it is a mistake, because the same channel on my Cox receiver is in digital, it is a duplicate of PBS anyway.
I forgot that 1 analog channel in the CableCARD lineup, does serve a purpose, it provides access to the TV Guide On-Screen EPG data for the Sony DHG-HDD500 and the DHG-HDD250 CableCARD DVR.

CoxAZ and KAET8 - PBS still broadcast the Rovi TVGOS data in analog VBI.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Yes, a 2 Tuner Premiere can do analog cable.

Do you actually still have any relevant analog channels that are not duplicated in digital SD and HD? No HD channel is going to be analog anyway.

Except for my (no cable cards so far) S3 HD, all our stuff is analog, and since TWC hasn't quite finished murdering analog cable here, I'm not interested in the expense of replacing a bunch of stuff and paying them even more.

My brother's got fairly new digital stuff, and whenever I'm over there whatever's on either of his widescreens suffers from "soap opera effect", so it's not like there's anything encouraging me to dump NTSC.

Actually the S3 is currently on top of the refrigerator pretending to be the satellite receiver plugged into an S2 that's up there as well (along with small TV set), so neither of them are even currently hooked to cable, just a set of rabbit ears I modded from 300 Ohm twinlead to an F-81 for co-ax years ago.

But their hard drives are full of stuff to watch while I'm chopping celery or washing dishes, and both have G adapters for when it's time for a refill.

I do a lot of television watching with my ears.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #12
cannonz

I didn't get offer in email was sent to the one tivo I put in my name and wasn't sent to the others. Does tivo take paypal for payment?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
I didn't get offer in email was sent to the one tivo I put in my name and wasn't sent to the others. Does tivo take paypal for payment?
I can't begin to figure out what you're saying in the first sentence and I've never seen any sign of the answer to the question in the second sentence being anything other than "no".

Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #14
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Except for my (no cable cards so far) S3 HD, all our stuff is analog, and since TWC hasn't quite finished murdering analog cable here, I'm not interested in the expense of replacing a bunch of stuff and paying them even more.
Of course we're talking about TWC, But I would be very surprised if the CableCARD lineup was not almost entirely digital. For sure all the HD channels are.
Quote:
My brother's got fairly new digital stuff, and whenever I'm over there whatever's on either of his widescreens suffers from "soap opera effect", so it's not like there's anything encouraging me to dump NTSC.
Are you sure he is actually watching the HD channels? I am always amazed at how many people I see watching the SD channels stretched/zoomed to fit their new HDTVs. Most haven't even bothered to get an HD receiver. I got my sister and her family a Lifetime Premiere for Christmas, and most every time I go over to thier home, they are watching the SD channels zoomed on their new 55" LG LED HDTV, even though I took all the SD channels out of thier listings. They are so used to punching in just the double digit numbers into the remote.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
lessd

Only TiVo accounts that have only Series 2s (and no series 3s or series 4s) can get this deal from the web.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Only TiVo accounts that have only Series 2s (and no series 3s or series 4s) can get this deal from the web.
What if you have S1s and S2s?

Could I discontinue my S3 and get it?

Not that I really want it, just trying to psychoanalize them.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I'll have to ask my daughter if she got the e-mail. I recently sent her a lifetime S2 and she set up her own account with Tivo.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
lessd

Quote:
What if you have S1s and S2s?

Could I discontinue my S3 and get it?

Not that I really want it, just trying to psychoanalize them.
I would assume that a Series 1 and Series 2 would qualify, it's for TiVo accounts that have no HD TiVos in the account.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
drebbe
Carbon Blob

I talked to TiVo just now. The offer is only for people with S1 or S2 and no HD TiVos (i.e., S3 or Premieres). I tried to order one anyway, asking them point blank, "Does this mean you don't want my money?" The CSR talked to his supervisor, best they would do is 99+399+free slide remote. I passed. Odd promotion/marketing by TiVo IMHO. I can understand why you might target a market segment in advertising a promotion, but I see no economic advantage to TiVo to only allow S1/S2 exclusive households to actually take advantage of it. Maybe somebody else can figure out why this would make sense.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I'll have to ask my daughter if she got the e-mail. I recently sent her a lifetime S2 and she set up her own account with Tivo.
Would have been sent directly to tivo (below messages/settings above bounty or what ever ad)
Old 08-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
So that's the old 320GB Premiere, not the 500GB Premiere, right?
Right. This one is 45hrs and the new 500GB version is 75hrs.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

They really need to work on the wording of that offer. I can find nothing in it to even imply that it's restricted to people with an S2 (except for the "promo/buy-premiere/s2upgrade" part of the URL, which isn't actually in the text). They probably only sent links to the offer to S2 users.

It's the same deal as the employee friends-and-family one that I just got, except that was for the 500GB model without wireless adapter (which I had no use for).

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebbe View Post
but I see no economic advantage to TiVo to only allow S1/S2 exclusive households to actually take advantage of it. Maybe somebody else can figure out why this would make sense.
I am guessing TiVo has determined that people who have not moved to any HD TiVo by now are at high risk of leaving TiVo and they are willing to market some left over inventory to them at a reduced cost to see if they can keep them as customers. Why not offer it to everyone may have to do with inventory or that they believe the sales will occur without the reduction. This is the best price I have seen but it is only $50 less than several offers we have had for Premieres in the past and it is left over inventory now where it wasn't in the past.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
This is the best price I have seen but it is only $50 less than several offers we have had for Premieres in the past and it is left over inventory now where it wasn't in the past.
I got in on the short $449 offer last September but it didn't include the wireless adapter which, even used, is $20+. The HuluPlus offer was there when I ordered but I wasn't interested.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Ok, my daughter did not receive any notification from Tivo and the TSN on her S2 unit gets the "Not qualified" message. Any chance this is for folks who have an S2 on monthly service and lifetime is a disqualifier?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #26
lessd

Quote:
Ok, my daughter did not receive any notification from Tivo and the TSN on her S2 unit gets the "Not qualified" message. Any chance this is for folks who have an S2 on monthly service and lifetime is a disqualifier?
No, as I know one person that had Lifetime service on a Series 2 and was able to place an order on the web using that TSN. The unit was in his account over 4 years.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #27
cannonz

Quote:
I got message on lifetime DT I bought from you, the only one on my account.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #28
unitron

I wonder if I called up and asked if the reason I can't get this is because of my monthly S3 HD and they said yes, and I asked if I could get it if I unsubscribed the S3 and they said no, I wonder if they'd give me $99 lifetime on the S3 instead?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #29
unitron

So does this mean the street price of a lifetimed Premiere is now $400?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #30
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
So does this mean the street price of a lifetimed(sic) Premiere is now $400?
No, especially since this offer is limited to a very specific target audience.

TiVo is also still trying to sell off stock of the 45HR 320GB Premieres.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 08-05-2012 at 05:58 AM.