TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
douglaskeene

Series 3 to Tivo Desktop Quality

Howdy
I am trying to archive some tivo programs onto a home computer so I can delete them from the Series 3 hard drive and make room. I use Tivo Desktop Pro and the quality seems good, but not as good as the original. Is there any objective evidence that Tivo Desktop maintains the quality of the original or not? I hate to delete some shows until I understand this issue. I only record in highest quality, and transfer the programs to the desktop using tivo software. The Tivo Desktop images seem slightly more pixelated. Thanks
Doug
douglaskeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Teeps

Try http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/ it's free.

I'm not sure what you mean by highest quality, as HD programming has no quality setting.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Digital is copied bit for bit, so it should be the same.

Have you tested moving the content BACK to the tivo to see the result?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglaskeene View Post
Howdy
I am trying to archive some tivo programs onto a home computer so I can delete them from the Series 3 hard drive and make room. I use Tivo Desktop Pro and the quality seems good, but not as good as the original. Is there any objective evidence that Tivo Desktop maintains the quality of the original or not? I hate to delete some shows until I understand this issue. I only record in highest quality, and transfer the programs to the desktop using tivo software. The Tivo Desktop images seem slightly more pixelated. Thanks
Doug
Are you transcoding the file for portables after, I'd so and you check delete original then yes you are losing some quality. The original transferred is exactly as it was recorded on your TiVo.
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
douglaskeene

Thanks All
I am merely transferring the files from the Tivo Series 3 to a home theater PC running Tivo Desktop Pro. Playing them, then, with Windows Media Player or something similar, the pictures seem not as good. I don't want to play them on an Ipod or something. . Before I delete the originals, I want to make sure I have as good a copy as possible! Thanks
Doug
douglaskeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I don't use Tivo Desktop Plus, so I don't know if it automatically converts downloads. If it does, there has to be a way to turn it off.

The easiest thing to check is the file sizes.

On the Tivo, the program info screen should give you a file size and you can compare that with the file size on the computer.

If they are close (within a few MB), then you have the highest quality possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote