TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Eureka "Just Another Day" (7/16/2012, Series Finale, Spoilers)

That was pretty good. A little bit schmaltzy and on the nose in parts (the whole life flashing before Carter's eyes, for one), but still ultimately pretty good. And they managed to keep Eureka open, like people wanted... so ultimately, although some people are gone, life there goes on.

The cameo from Grant Imahara was a little too obvious, if you ask me. They should have had him in the background of some other scene with him complaining at DoD movers, or something like that. The Paglia storefront was similarly a little too obvious.

Did James Callis (Trevor Grant) sound odd to anyone else? It definitely didn't sound like his previous American-ish accent.

I'm glad they remembered the Zoe/Carter seeing themselves from the pilot.... and personally, I'm glad they just included it as a reference, they didn't focus too much on it. It was never supposed to be a serious plot point, it was just one of those wacky Eureka things, which is how they treated it here.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

That was a nice way to end it.

And I'm really glad it's over, because it was already really pretty...over.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Dmtalon
I love Tivo...

I enjoyed this episode and the series.

This was kind of a channel finally too for me since Eureka was the last thing I was recording on Syfy. I certainly miss SciFi.
Dmtalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked it and some of the elements were soooo Eureka. Like Fargo sitting down and not moving. And the sheriff's jeep - getting taken apart, instead of squashed or set on fire or such. It was a good ending.

During the Carter flashback of his life, I was waiting to see the wicked witch on the bicycle fly by. It just had a very Oz feel to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
GAViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'm glad they remembered the Zoe/Carter seeing themselves from the pilot....
In the pilot both versions are in cars, whereas in the finale the leaving versions are in Jack's Jeep. Of course this could be explained by the alternate timeline. That is in the new or current timeline the versions going in could have seen the leaving versions in a jeep.
GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

It lived up to its title. And they tried to bring back (almost) everybody. Even the dog. (I had to Netflix the pilot to recall that detail).

All's well that ends.

I wonder how long Fargo's faux girlfriend will live.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I wonder how long Fargo's faux girlfriend will live.
Well, they basically said the cloned bodies were essentially human, and it is based on her original DNA, so I'd say roughly about as long as the "real" Holly's natural life, providing nothing else happens to her.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAViewer View Post
In the pilot both versions are in cars, whereas in the finale the leaving versions are in Jack's Jeep. Of course this could be explained by the alternate timeline. That is in the new or current timeline the versions going in could have seen the leaving versions in a jeep.
Yeah, they screwed that one up a bit. The bad part is that they had every opportunity to get it right... the Jeep was being sawed apart in GD, so they could have had a throwaway scene with Henry giving the sedan back to Jack, since his Jeep wasn't put back together yet.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Yeah, they screwed that one up a bit. The bad part is that they had every opportunity to get it right... the Jeep was being sawed apart in GD, so they could have had a throwaway scene with Henry giving the sedan back to Jack, since his Jeep wasn't put back together yet.
Except this is a different timeline, in which obviously when they first arrived, they saw themselves in a Jeep.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I liked it and some of the elements were soooo Eureka. Like Fargo sitting down and not moving. And the sheriff's jeep - getting taken apart, instead of squashed or set on fire or such.
That was very Eureka. But just now reading that I'm wondering why they didn't just push it back through the wormhole once they knew it was stable?

Seems easier that disassembling it to cart the pieces out of GD.
(And if you didn't want to risk a person through the wormhole again just put it in neutral and push from the front until Andy can pull it the rest of the way through. Then get a ride out to drive it back.

That said, it didn't seem out of place to see it getting pulled apart behind them during the episode itself.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

For a second there, I thought they were going to sell the town to the Warehouse 13 people. That would have been hilarious.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuur View Post
For a second there, I thought they were going to sell the town to the Warehouse 13 people. That would have been hilarious.
They should have had Fargo and Holly go to work for the Warehouse organization. They wouldn't ever HAVE to show up on the other show, but there would always be the possibility...
Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
GAViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
That was very Eureka. But just now reading that I'm wondering why they didn't just push it back through the wormhole once they knew it was stable?
When I saw them taking it apart, I immediately guessed that the writers had written it that way so that Jack would have to take Zoe in a car. When they left in the Jeep I thought that they weren't going to meet themselves on the way in. Then I noticed the rain and when the car appears I just knew they were meeting themselves. But as I said the fact the meeting we saw happen in the pilot was another timeline allows this. I do wonder if the writers did it on purpose.

But the big question that wasn't answered is what happened to Jack, Allison, Henry, Jo, and Fargo of this timeline? Did they get stuck in the past? Or did they get sent to the timeline these characters left? Or maybe to a third timeline?
GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Shakhari

I liked the finale, but it's been a hard slog this season. As campy as the show was, I liked it a lot the first three seasons. It was never the same after they came back from 1947.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
robojerk

Quote:
But the big question that wasn't answered is what happened to Jack, Allison, Henry, Jo, and Fargo of this timeline? Did they get stuck in the past? Or did they get sent to the timeline these characters left? Or maybe to a third timeline?
I think they replaced their doubles.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yay!!! got my season 5 dvd from Amazon today! That's great, watched the last episode and then it was delivered the next day.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
marrone
Phased Member

Regarding the seeing themselves in the car: Didn't they already do that once in the series? When I saw that, I was thinking "they showed this AGAIN".

-Mike
Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
Regarding the seeing themselves in the car: Didn't they already do that once in the series? When I saw that, I was thinking "they showed this AGAIN".

-Mike
Yes, the opening scene of the pilot had Jack and Zoe driving along in the rain and suddenly they passed a car that had what appeared to be themselves in it driving the other way. Everyone has always assumed that this would be how the series ended, and they were right. We just saw that same scene from the other car's perspective this time.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They should have had Fargo and Holly go to work for the Warehouse organization. They wouldn't ever HAVE to show up on the other show, but there would always be the possibility...
I actually looked to see if the stuff was getting transfered to warehouse 13. But according to the recheduled orders it was going to a Washington DC warehouse 32 (IIRC). In any case too high a number to be part of the Warehouse 13 series of super special warehouses.

Although I guess, as they left it, they could still find excusses to pull in the occasional Eureka alumn as a Warehouse 13 guest star.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I'm glad you remembered that, because I assumed the pilot episode had the Jeep. When I watched the finale and saw that, I figured that finally explained why they kept resurrecting the old, crappy Jeep rather than getting Carter a new car, because they needed it to exist in that final scene. But since that's not the case, what was the reason they insisted on always repairing that Jeep, when Carter's deputies had nicer cars, and when that car was destroyed countless times during the series?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm glad you remembered that, because I assumed the pilot episode had the Jeep. When I watched the finale and saw that, I figured that finally explained why they kept resurrecting the old, crappy Jeep rather than getting Carter a new car, because they needed it to exist in that final scene. But since that's not the case, what was the reason they insisted on always repairing that Jeep, when Carter's deputies had nicer cars, and when that car was destroyed countless times during the series?
I think it was just Carter's preference. He really love that old Jeep. Plus, somehow it was a perfect fit for his personality.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I actually looked to see if the stuff was getting transfered to warehouse 13. But according to the recheduled orders it was going to a Washington DC warehouse 32 (IIRC). In any case too high a number to be part of the Warehouse 13 series of super special warehouses.

Although I guess, as they left it, they could still find excusses to pull in the occasional Eureka alumn as a Warehouse 13 guest star.
Alphas has now shown itself to be in the same universe show-wise, so we could sneak in there too!
Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #23
nirisahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I saw it as kind of a running gag, like the way they keep killing Kenny in South Park. You knew the jeep was gonna buy it before the end of the episode. The only question was how.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #24
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
I saw it as kind of a running gag, like the way they keep killing Kenny in South Park. You knew the jeep was gonna buy it before the end of the episode. The only question was how.
That too. That sort of explained why Carter reacted the way he did when he saw them slicing apart the jeep... it was a sort of "Oh, so that's how it's going to happen this time" reaction.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #25
Cragmyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
This could still happen. Holly did say she was going to work for a really top secret operation that travels a lot and she needed a team.
Cragmyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragmyre View Post
This could still happen. Holly did say she was going to work for a really top secret operation that travels a lot and she needed a team.
But she specifically said DARPA.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #27
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Since this is the series finale, does anyone have a very favorite episode or two? From the whole series?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
JasonLP

I especially liked the reference to the alternate future that we saw in the season 1 finale, when Jack felt deja vu after Allison told him she was pregnant.

I do wish, though, that they did something else during the series to follow-up on Henry's anger at Jack.

Though I'm sad to see Eureka gone, I did enjoy this episode and liked what they did with it.
JasonLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #29
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
The cameo from Grant Imahara was a little too obvious, if you ask me. They should have had him in the background of some other scene with him complaining at DoD movers, or something like that. The Paglia storefront was similarly a little too obvious.

Did James Callis (Trevor Grant) sound odd to anyone else? It definitely didn't sound like his previous American-ish accent.
I noticed the Paglia sign on that window, but didn't recognize Grant. When/where was he? I read that there were lots of little easter eggs in this episode. I wonder what others I missed. I thought I saw Stan Lee during Jack's wormhole sequence. What episode was that from?

I also thought Baltar's voice sounded very strange, like he forgot how to do an American accent.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #30
nirisahn

Grant was at the beginning before the opening credits. He was following around a little robot.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote