Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Newsroom "Bullies" 7/29/12

Overall I liked this episode, but it didn't seem to fit the character we've seen thus far to have McAvoy relentlessly attacking the person he was interviewing like he did, especially given that he was really talking about someone else's policies.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The more episodes I watch, the more I question why they bothered claiming McAvoy is republican. I'm sure some of what we've seen mirrors what some republicans think, but we have yet to see much of anything that slams democrats for some of the same stupid crap they are slamming republicans for. On any one issue, I can see how they could frame it as a moderate republican thinking and acting in that manner. But the collective whole clearly demonstrates otherwise.

Anyway, this episode was just ok. Some moments were great, but it's really getting too heavily involved in the stupid romance plots. Ughh...
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
The more episodes I watch, the more I question why they bothered claiming McAvoy is republican. I'm sure some of what we've seen mirrors what some republicans think
I'm a registered Republican and I understand and appreciate exactly where the character is coming from.

You have to remember that we don't know when McAvoy registered. I registered in 1985 in the middle of Ronald Regan's America. My beliefs and positions have evolved, but haven't really swung very much more to the left or the right. But America overall has moved so far to the right Ronald Regan would be considered a Democrat by today's standards.

McAvoy could be caught in the same circumstances where he didn't leave the party...the party left him.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
busyba
The Funcooker

Sam Waterson must be having the time of his life playing this part.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Interesting that they took advantage of Munn's Japanese skills (she grew up in Japan), although why they would use a Business world reporter to cover Fukushima.

And even though I've only taken a couple semesters of Japanese a long time ago, I agree with the character's assertion that 4/yon/shi 7/nana/shichi "misheard" explanation was weak sauce considering the context and pronunciation differences.

I would have called out the "hey, that's not what he said" like she did, but not the "you told me off the record that...."

--Carlos V.

Last edited by Unbeliever : 07-30-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Mispelled city name
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Hey, Olivia Munn suddenly learned to act. Disregard what I said before.

You just know that Sorkin based that entire thread on Munn knowing Japanese.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
mmilton80
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
Interesting that they took advantage of Munn's Japanese skills (she grew up in Japan), although why they would use a Business world reporter to cover Fushikima.

And even though I've only taken a couple semesters of Japanese a long time ago, I agree with the character's assertion that 4/yon/shi 7/nana/shichi "misheard" explanation was weak sauce considering the context and pronunciation differences.

I would have called out the "hey, that's not what he said" like she did, but not the "you told me off the record that...."

--Carlos V.
I think they were initially just using her for the pre-interview because of her fluency in Japanese (and her friendship with the spokesperson) but then she got "the call" and did the 10 o'clock hour solo which is when her live interview occurred.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving. - A Tour Guide
mmilton80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilton80 View Post
I think they were initially just using her for the pre-interview because of her fluency in Japanese (and her friendship with the spokesperson) but then she got "the call" and did the 10 o'clock hour solo which is when her live interview occurred.
Also, she was hosting that news show only because she was filling in for the regular host, who was unavailable (and she was the EP's fifth choice to fill in, no one else more qualified was available apparently).

Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
I'm a registered Republican and I understand and appreciate exactly where the character is coming from.

You have to remember that we don't know when McAvoy registered. I registered in 1985 in the middle of Ronald Regan's America. My beliefs and positions have evolved, but haven't really swung very much more to the left or the right. But America overall has moved so far to the right Ronald Regan would be considered a Democrat by today's standards.

McAvoy could be caught in the same circumstances where he didn't leave the party...the party left him.
I also understand where the character is coming from based on some statements made in the earlier episodes that match what you are saying. However, all they ever show is him attacking republicans thus far. I would think a moderate would also be critical of many democrats who are on the far left, yet this is never shown.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I watched the Meet the Press with Ed Gillespie "explaining" Romney's "retroactive retirement" from Bain and wished out loud that David Gregory was Will McAvoy.
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilton80 View Post
And they didn't intend the language "misunderstanding" to be plausible, only to be an excuse for the Japanese guy to save face.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #12
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Hey, Olivia Munn suddenly learned to act. Disregard what I said before.
I now have a crush on Olivia Munn. She's by far my favorite part of the show... and I liked the little mentoring relationship her character has developed with McAvoy. Even though it didn't really turn out so well.

Is the show still marching forward in time, or are they jumping around when the episodes take place? I haven't been tracking it very well.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It took me a couple of episodes to realize that Olivia Munn's robotic performance was the character, not the actor (well, it might be the actor too, I'm not familiar with her apart from this; but it's perfect for the character). And now she's one of my favorite parts of the show.

Her conversation with Maggie about Don was pitch-perfect...the way she had no clue what Maggie was talking about but tried to pretend she did so she would fit in made me yearn for what Bones could have been with this level of writing. And it was all accomplished in just a few seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Is the show still marching forward in time, or are they jumping around when the episodes take place? I haven't been tracking it very well.
Still marching forward, although this one jumped back and forth within its own timeline.

Which for some reason reminds me of another nifty moment...when he pulled the ring out of the drawer, I thought "Oh, come on...you keep it there for years, including how many moves? You don't have anything more important to keep in your friggin' desk? I know I don't have enough room in my desk for the stuff I use every day!" And then, "Oh, I see now. "
Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Which for some reason reminds me of another nifty moment...when he pulled the ring out of the drawer, I thought "Oh, come on...you keep it there for years, including how many moves? You don't have anything more important to keep in your friggin' desk? I know I don't have enough room in my desk for the stuff I use every day!" And then, "Oh, I see now. "
That's funny.... my first reaction was "omg, that's so sweet, he's still kept the ring!", and then it was "oh snap!"

Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
That's funny.... my first reaction was "omg, that's so sweet, he's still kept the ring!", and then it was "oh snap!"
The key is, although we had different reactions, they fooled us both.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
The key is, although we had different reactions, they fooled us both.
True, but it is worthy of note that between the two of us, you were the cynical one. That doesn't happen every day.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
True, but it is worthy of note that between the two of us, you were the cynical one. That doesn't happen every day.
I'm also the single one (you're married, right?)...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
I'm also the single one (you're married, right?)...
Not married. Although the GF moved in about a year ago, so it feels like it.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #19
Flop

Quote:
Not married. Although the GF moved in about a year ago, so it feels like it.
Get out while you still can. Run! Now! Don't look back. Go go go!
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
robojerk

What are you guys talking about with the ring? I miss something?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
What are you guys talking about with the ring? I miss something?
He implied to his ex that the ring had been in his desk for the past 3? years when in fact it had been purchased in the last couple days, by his agent.

Z
Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
He implied to his ex that the ring had been in his desk for the past 3? years when in fact it had been purchased in the last couple days, by his agent.

Z
I must have dozed off, I remember him tearing up the receipt, but I don't remember his agent buying it.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #23
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I must have dozed off, I remember him tearing up the receipt, but I don't remember his agent buying it.
He revealed it in his session.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
Well put.
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
It took me a couple of episodes to realize that Olivia Munn's robotic performance was the character, not the actor (well, it might be the actor too, I'm not familiar with her apart from this; but it's perfect for the character). And now she's one of my favorite parts of the show.

Her conversation with Maggie about Don was pitch-perfect...the way she had no clue what Maggie was talking about but tried to pretend she did so she would fit in made me yearn for what Bones could have been with this level of writing. And it was all accomplished in just a few seconds.
You're giving Olivia Munn too much credit. She has been an eye candy TV hostess and geek lust object, not an actress.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sorkin and the producers arranged some immersion acting lessons for her.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 07-31-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
You're giving Olivia Munn too much credit. She has been eye candy hostess and geek lust object not an actress.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sorkin and the producers arranged some immersion acting lessons for her.
I thought she was very good in Perfect Couples.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #27
ADG
Allan

I've enjoyed every episode so far and this one most of all. They keep getting better as the actors and writers hit their strides. Great show!!!

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
You're giving Olivia Munn too much credit.
I'm not really giving her any credit. I'm just saying that she's perfect in this role...which might not be a good thing, since the role is a robotic academic who can't relate to actual people.

My suspicion is that the perfection has more to do with clever casting and great writing than good acting.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #29
SNJpage1

Each week I am liking this show more and more. I just cant believe how fast the time goes while watching it. My wife says she likes the show also but admits that a lot of it goes over her head because of the fast pace.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #30
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I still find her to be wooden. I dont like her for this role at all because even when she displays vulnerability, it feels forced.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote