Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #121
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
In my opinion, when Walt took out Gus, it was to protect himself and his family. I don't think taking over and becoming the new boss really entered the picture until the dust settled and he was broke and needed to rebuild his nest egg. Only then did he know he could be the new boss.
Again, I understand that and agree with you. I'm simply pointing out that now the Walt is the "boss," and no longer answers to Gus because (insert whatever reason you want here), he's not going to be satisfied with taking on substantially more risk, yet only making 15% more money.

With Gus' operation, it made sense that Gus got the lion's share of the profits. He had a well-established distribution network, he built the SuperLab and outfitted it with all the state-of-the-art equipment, he provided security, he took all the risk. Walt and Jesse simply had to show up, cook a batch, and go home.

Now Walt is in charge of the operation, he's going to have to provide all of those things that Gus used to take care of, and yet he's not going to be making much more than he was before. I can imagine that this is not going to sit well with Walt.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #122
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Now Walt is in charge of the operation, he's going to have to provide all of those things that Gus used to take care of, and yet he's not going to be making much more than he was before. I can imagine that this is not going to sit well with Walt.
I agree with you on Walt's thinking, but is Walt really in charge? He doesn't have "men" for security, he doesn't have access to the chemical supplier, he doesn't know anyone or have any involvement in the distribution. Mike is the real guy in charge now, however Walter just wants to treat him as middle management. If Mike is smart, he'll keep Walter in the dark on who everyone else in this new enterprise is, so that Walter will just be in charge of manufacturing.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #123
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I agree with you on Walt's thinking, but is Walt really in charge? He doesn't have "men" for security, he doesn't have access to the chemical supplier, he doesn't know anyone or have any involvement in the distribution. Mike is the real guy in charge now, however Walter just wants to treat him as middle management. If Mike is smart, he'll keep Walter in the dark on who everyone else in this new enterprise is, so that Walter will just be in charge of manufacturing.
I'm simply pointing out Walt's mindset. We saw this when Walt said to Saul, "Mike handles the business, and I handle Mike." As viewers, we know Walt is not in charge, and that things will go very badly when he is. But from Walt's point of view, he is Heisenberg, and Mike is just a hired gun, and Walt isn't going to let an underling dictate terms to him and take away such a huge share of his money. The last scene of this episode basically gave us the roadmap for the rest of the series, and we now know that Walt and Mike are going to eventually be against each other and it's not going to end well.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #124
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The last scene of this episode basically gave us the roadmap for the rest of the series, and we now know that Walt and Mike are going to eventually be against each other and it's not going to end well.
Pretty much agree.
I used to think Jesse might be the one to kill Walter, but I am beginning to think Jesse will be Walter's victim and never see the manipulation up until the end when Walter for some reason or another (probably because Jesse knows the recipe intimately as much as Walter) kills Jesse. Why would the show do that? As said before, at some point or another the viewers will start to see Walter White is a bad man that needs to be stopped. Walter killing Jesse would turn the last few people rooting for him against him for sure.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #125
Hank
AC•FTW

On another note, it surpises me that Walt -- who calculates and maps everything out in advance -- would say something like "that's less than with Fring" when it's clear they were only making 1/4 the amount of meth in their first cook AND there are many other costs involved. Like Jesse (and Mike) know, it is a larger cut of a much smaller pie. Heisenberg should have known well in advance, to set his own expectation. Sure, be surprised at the unexpected "legacy" costs, but other than that, the net he takes home was a calculatable number well in advance. Perhaps Heisenberg is losing his logical reasoning for the greed of the business, and the further downslide to Scarface.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #126
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Is it me or is Mike the Moral Compass of this show?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #127
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Is it me or is Mike the Moral Compass of this show?
I'd say its you. A cold-blooded killer cannot be a "moral compass" in my book.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #128
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

It's all relative.

He's compassier than the rest of them.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #129
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda

It's not like he technically lied.
You are right and the gambling bit is a big lie (and I abhor lies). However, for once I would rather he had stuck with that lie.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #130
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I'd say its you. A cold-blooded killer cannot be a "moral compass" in my book.
It's all relative. Compared to Walt, yes, Mike is a moral compass. So is Jesse.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #131
danterner
Not it!

I don't think it is that he's the moral compass so much as it is that he is Lawful Evil as compared to Walt's Neutral Evil (tending toward Chaotic Evil).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #132
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Jesse had a big 'ole waver when he came up with his brilliant plan to sell meth to addicts.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #133
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I don't think it is that he's the moral compass so much as it is that he is Lawful Evil as compared to Walt's Neutral Evil (tending toward Chaotic Evil).

SeanC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #134
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
You mean Lance.
I see what you did there.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #135
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Jesse had a big 'ole waver when he came up with his brilliant plan to sell meth to addicts.
Not just addicts. Members of an addicts-anonymous-type group that Jesse was participating in.

Personally, I have no problem with people selling, buying, or taking drugs, as long as it is a voluntary transaction and no violence is involved. But even I would draw the line at selling drugs to people who have joined an addicts group to try to break the habit.

Also, on the subject of Mike's morality...until Walt poisoned the kid I would not have placed Mike's morals above Walt's. Remember that the reason Walt got Jesse to kill Gale was that Mike was about to kill Walt. Gale certainly did not deserve to die, but neither did Walt deserve to die at that point (Gus was just having him killed to make a point and/or to prevent future trouble).

If Mike had not been about to kill Walt, then Walt would not have been responsible for Gale's death. But Mike WAS about to kill Walt, so in my book that counts as two murders against Mike (Walt and Gale), but only one murder against Walt (Gale).
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #136
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
They're only making about 1/4 of the product that they used to make for Fring; if they can get that back up then money should not be a big deal overall to them.
But would that happen....unless they get back into a comparable superlab? And even then, it's iffy at best. Fring had the supply infrastructure finely tuned. These guys will NEVER approach that type of organization, even in a larger lab.

Last edited by Bierboy : 08-03-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #137
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Their profit margin increases considerably when each cook generates more product. I suspect Walt will attempt to make bigger cooks.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #138
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Their profit margin increases considerably when each cook generates more product. I suspect Walt will attempt to make bigger cooks.
But, again, isn't that limited to a certain extent, by the size of their lab? Seems to me that there's a finite amount of meth that could be cooked with this "mobile lab" procedure...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #139
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
But, again, isn't that limited to a certain extent, by the size of their lab? Seems to me that there's a finite amount of meth that could be cooked with this "mobile lab" procedure...
But they can cook longer, right?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #140
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Yeah the size of the lab matters, though with how mobile it is, why couldn't they keep it moving? If there are 3-4 houses being fumigated per week, why only 1 cook a week? Why not 2 or 3?
SeanC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #141
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Yeah the size of the lab matters, though with how mobile it is, why couldn't they keep it moving? If there are 3-4 houses being fumigated per week, why only 1 cook a week? Why not 2 or 3?
They can't just do any house (they went through the selection criteria). But once they do have a house, they can cook a second time.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #142
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
They can't just do any house (they went through the selection criteria). But once they do have a house, they can cook a second time.
Not so sure about that -- from what I can tell, each cook takes about 24 hours. (based on time-lapse of this cook and when they cooked in Mexico). They're already up against the clock due to the expected time to fumigate the house.. in order to cook longer, they would need the owners out of the house another full day. That's bound to raise some suspicion when the time to bomb houses like that is pretty well established. If they require 4 days, and everyone else only requires 3 days, that's a big difference. I can't see them going to 5 days just so they can cook longer. But as I suspect this tent cooking won't last long. They just need to find a semi-permanent place for their mini-lab where they can cook around the clock.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #143
mooseAndSquirrel

I have never once in my life seen a house tented for fumigation. How common could that really be? And ABQ is small. Won't somebody recognize a chemistry teacher walking in to a fumigation job?
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #144
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
I have never once in my life seen a house tented for fumigation. How common could that really be? And ABQ is small. Won't somebody recognize a chemistry teacher walking in to a fumigation job?
I've never seen one either (I live in the Northeast). I suspect it's more prevalent in other parts of the country (drier climes?)

And I don't think the homeowners will ever see Walt.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #145
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Ive seen them in Florida before. Its not super common but its enough that its more of a "haha" moment than a WTF moment.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #146
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Albuquerque is not that small. It has a population of almost 600,000.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #147
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
Albuquerque is not that small. It has a population of almost 600,000.
But, according to Vince Gilligan, tenting is not common there -- a fact they didn't realize until after they had crafted the storyline. It is more common in other parts of the country.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #148
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

I've only seen tenting done for termites. At least, that's what my neighbors down the street said when they got their house tented. What kind of infestation is it primarily used for?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #149
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
I've only seen tenting done for termites. At least, that's what my neighbors down the street said when they got their house tented. What kind of infestation is it primarily used for?
Termites
Cockroaches
Beatles
etc...
Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #150
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

20 Neat Facts, Cool Allusions, Instances Of Foreshadowing, And Theories On ‘Breaking Bad’
http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/08/bre...bad-allusions/

Some spoiler speculation. If it's true I'll be sick to my stomach.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote