Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #61
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4

I wonder if Mike is calling it one thing, but taking some of that money to build up a new fund for his granddaughter.
I think Mike's an honest guy (all things considered). I expect he takes a minimal salary for himself and the rest goes into the granddaughter's fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1

Also, take out expenses before the profit split. No one likes to see money come out of their share..
Seriously. I know it made for great television, whittling down piles of cash, but what the hell?

On second thought, maybe he did that on purpose to make Walt understand the expenses involved?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #62
danterner
Not it!

That Half-Life poster is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4
Okay, I have to say it. When I saw the first shot of the big striped fumigation tent and Walt in the backseat of the car looking at it, I flashed to Malcolm in the Middle episode when they had to get their house fumigated and had to sleep in the backyard in a camper and tents. Just a quick flash.
I didn't watch Malcolm while it was on, but yesterday I happened to notice it was airing on IFC and I tuned in and caught an episode and a half. It's truly amazing how different Bryan Cranston is from role to role. His bearing, his manner of speech, his timing, his physical appearance. Wow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #63
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion The Imp View Post
Great episode IMO. I love Marie flipping out, ...
It wasn't Marie who flipped out. Marie was just all-knowing and clueless Marie. What is great writing is that how that went down is so real. Marie the motormouth would react by doing anything except shutting up.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #64
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1 View Post
Also, take out expenses before the profit split. No one likes to see money come out of their share..
I think Mike did it to show exactly where the money was going.

"Here's the total pile. Here's out shares. Here's this taken out, here's that taken out. That is why you ended up with a bit over $100K."

Rather than "Ouf of the 1.X million, we each get 1/10th. Trust me."
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #65
TheMerk
Always Bid First

I have a theory that Todd the exterminator employee who turned off the nanny cam went to the high school where Walt taught. He wasn't one of Walt's students, but he knows Walt's real name, possibly Jesse's too, and will stir up some crap later on.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #66
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
I have a theory that Todd the exterminator employee who turned off the nanny cam went to the high school where Walt taught. He wasn't one of Walt's students, but he knows Walt's real name, possibly Jesse's too, and will stir up some crap later on.

Landry is always causing problems.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #67
VegasVic
Craps Player

It's interesting to see Walt's transformation from just a "cook" to being a boss. I was hoping that was the direction the final season would take. Cranston plays it soooooo well.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #68
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post

Landry is always causing problems.
Wait until he goes on a multi-state killing spree!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #69
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Wait until he goes on a multi-state killing spree!
Remember, he's already killed once.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #70
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I didn't watch Malcolm while it was on, but yesterday I happened to notice it was airing on IFC and I tuned in and caught an episode and a half. It's truly amazing how different Bryan Cranston is from role to role. His bearing, his manner of speech, his timing, his physical appearance. Wow.
How about the Anti-Dentite episode of "Seinfeld" (S08E19) where Cranston plays the dentist (Tim Whatley) who turns Jewish so he can tell jokes to his patients without sounding like an anti-Semite?

Quote:
He probably stirs up trouble using magnets.

getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #71
stellie93

I just assumed that the "hazard" involved was prison, so the pay would have to continue however long they're in, mainly to keep their mouths shut.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #72
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

some clarifications:

Mike did say the hazard pay continues in perpetuity; which is preposterous.

Each cook nets them about $1.2 million, not $350,000

Don't forget the cost of the stuff the woman gets. Only the first barrel was free. I wonder how many cooks they make before they need another barrel.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #73
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
some clarifications:

some clarifications:

Each cook grosses them about $1.2 million. Net is after the deductions. Each cook nets about $540k (based on the first cook, but not including Jesse's one time $120k investment payback).
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #74
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
some clarifications:

Don't forget the cost of the stuff the woman gets. Only the first barrel was free. I wonder how many cooks they make before they need another barrel.
Mike took about (not sure the exact number) $350k out of the total for the hazard pay. I was assuming he was going to pay back all of Fring's guys who had their money seized, then stop. I didn't remember him saying it was going to go on forever.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #75
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
I didn't remember him saying it was going to go on forever.
He said something like "This is the way it's going to be..." which is pretty vague as to how long it will actually go on.

I suspect (a) that Mike would only continue it as long as it needs to make those 9 guys "whole", and (2) that we'll never actually find out how long it goes on for.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #76
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious something will happen with him other than him just being an employee.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #77
MrGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
I can see this happening, and the motivation to move the lab into the car wash.
I've heard several people mention the car wash as a potential cook location. Where exactly? I don't see any reason the car wash would have any sort of basement or storage large enough.

As for the in-home cooks, I'm wondering about power requirements. At best, a residential house might give you easy access to a few 20 amp 110V circuits. I have no idea how much juice their equipment needs, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had several devices that need 220V, or maybe even more. They could maybe get a 220V line from an oven, and another from a dryer, I suppose. Jesse mentioned electrical supply when they were looking at potential locations, so I was surprised that didn't come up when they were discussing the exterminator option.

Although I'm not apparently as bothered by the exterminator solution as other people here seem to be.
MrGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #78
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreg View Post
I've heard several people mention the car wash as a potential cook location. Where exactly? I don't see any reason the car wash would have any sort of basement or storage large enough.
It's a fictional TV program, so I have no problem with a fictional basement under the car wash. We have no idea what was there before that the car wash could have been built upon. Say it was a deserted hotel/motel, or gas station. It's well within reason that there is a basement or other location at/near the car wash to cook. Now if it were Florida where nobody has a basement, I could see it.

I'm also willing to let the power requirements slide for the home-cooking lab - that really doesn't bother me as much as the entire idea is stupid and extremely risky.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #79
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
some clarifications:

Each cook grosses them about $1.2 million. Net is after the deductions. Each cook nets about $540k (based on the first cook, but not including Jesse's one time $120k investment payback).
you're right. Bad choice of words on my part. Someone earlier posted that they make $350k per cook (or at least that's what I recall). I was correcting that and made a poor choice of words (net instead of revenue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
Mike took about (not sure the exact number) $350k out of the total for the hazard pay. I was assuming he was going to pay back all of Fring's guys who had their money seized, then stop. I didn't remember him saying it was going to go on forever.
I remember he said the hazard pay was $110k (or around that number). It wasn't clear to me if it was total or each. I wish I could remember the breakdown.

20% for the mules
$18k (each?) for the pest guy
How much for Saul? $40k each or so?
The Hazard pay
Anything else?

Mike's grand daughter's account had $2 million. Assuming he was paid more than the others AND that he saved more than the others (2 very safe assumptions), I can't imagine the hazard pay being more than $1 million each to make them whole.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #80
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
It's a fictional TV program, so I have no problem with a fictional basement under the car wash.
same reason the corrugating plant was a no-go. The humidity would ruin the cook!
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #81
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Got the breakdown:

All talk is "after Dealers' cut". So we don't know what the dealers' cut is.

Gross revenue after Dealers is $1,379,560

Mules get a flat 20% which gives them $367K each.

Ira gets $110K for his piece of the business plus $25K each per cook. So Ira gets $45K each. Those numbers don't add up so either I didn't understand or they made a mistake. Sounds to me like it will be $25K from now on; but it's not clear. I am sure about the $45K each.

Ira's guys get $10K each per cook.

Saul gets $18K each per cook.

Hazard Pay is $117K each per cook.

Mike regarding the legacy/hazard pay: "This is how it's going to be from here on out. My guys are an ongoing expenditure".
Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #82
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

oh, Mike did say 9 guys.

And, changing topics, loved how Walt threw Skyler under the bus with Maria!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #83
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreg View Post
One of my first jobs in the 1960ies was at Rapid Car Wash in Lawrence Massachusetts, and there was a full basement there.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #84
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Ira gets $110K for his piece of the business plus $25K each per cook. So Ira gets $45K each. Those numbers don't add up so either I didn't understand or they made a mistake. Sounds to me like it will be $25K from now on; but it's not clear. I am sure about the $45K each.
Ira's cut this time is 110+25= $135k, which is $45k per share.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #85
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak

I think it's pretty obvious something will happen with him other than him just being an employee.

-smak-
He's really familiar. Has anyone IMDBd him?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #86
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post

Lance is always causing problems.
Fixed your post.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #87
mooseAndSquirrel

Y'all have major OCD. You should create a spreadsheet.

Thumbs up to Wiley Coyote. Perfect comment.
mooseAndSquirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #88
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I think Mike did it to show exactly where the money was going.

"Here's the total pile. Here's out shares. Here's this taken out, here's that taken out. That is why you ended up with a bit over $100K."

Rather than "Ouf of the 1.X million, we each get 1/10th. Trust me."
But he didn't really do that. He had already withdrawn the mule fee and had to explain it. If he did that, he should have just withdrawn it all and explained all the expenses when Walt asked.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #89
mostman

Im pretty sure Walt was ambiguous at the end on purpose. He wants Jesse to think the worst. It's all about grabbing power. It doesnt matter that Jesse gets some point Walt was making. What matters is Jesse now has to think about what Walts thinking about. The worm has been inserted into his brain. It's classic manipulation. Whatever the worst case explanation is, Jesse will think it. The scene where Jesse is peeling the beer bottle is key. He's screwed in the head right now and Walt intends to keep it that way. Power and control.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #90
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
But he didn't really do that. He had already withdrawn the mule fee and had to explain it. If he did that, he should have just withdrawn it all and explained all the expenses when Walt asked.
The mules had possession of the money. They're not going to give that money to Mike so he can do a show-and-tell with Walt. They're going to want their 20% when the cash is in front of them.