TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
johnmoorejohn

Breaking Bad S05E03 "Hazard Pay" OAD 7.29.12

Didn't see a thread.

Can someone explain the Victor comment at the end?
johnmoorejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmoorejohn View Post
Didn't see a thread.

Can someone explain the Victor comment at the end?
Not me. I can't tell if Walt was talking about Mike or Jesse. I think Mike, but that would be a terrible strategic error.

I also don't like this tent idea. Much to risky.

Also, that means Aaron Paul's comments about cooking at "a blue collar location, right under our noses" makes no sense, or was a red herring. Or maybe they eventually end up at the car wash later in the season. But using people's houses while being exterminated isn't either "blue collar" or "right under their noses" since it's really a stretch that only Walt dreamed up. I hope they drop this idea soon. I really don't like it.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
johnmoorejohn

Bug fumigation is Blue Collar, and right under our noses, is in people's homes?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Hank
AC•FTW

The other thing that just seemed out of place is that Mike really should have told Walt and Jesse about the "hazard pay" deductions up front (as well as the 20% Mule fee), so there were no surprises later. It's called "setting expectations" and it's part of "Management 101".
Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
johnmoorejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
The other thing that just seemed out of place is that Mike really should have told Walt and Jesse about the "hazard pay" deductions up front (as well as the 20% Mule fee), so there were no surprises later. It's called "setting expectations" and it's part of "Management 101".
Thought the same thing.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Yeah, I would have thought they worked all those details out ahead of time. It seemed odd that it was a surprise.

I did like the episode and was screaming along with Skylar at Marie to Shut Up!!! I think Skylar is going to crack soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I did like the episode and was screaming along with Skylar at Marie to Shut Up!!!
I turned to my g/f and said "it's about time someone told Marie to shut up!"
Old 07-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
danterner
Not it!

The nanny cam warning was a good one, and I'm not really sure how they will be able to work around problems like that from house to house. It seemed like such a risky and work-intensive solution. And would residential power be sufficient for their needs?

It sure seems like there are a lot of people who know about their operation now.

Skylar's breakdown scene would have been much more powerful had it been allowed to run another minute or so -- it seemed like it cut to commercial too abruptly and before the scene was really over.

Nice that Scarface footage made an appearance. Extra nice touch that Walt was watching it with his family. "Everybody dies in the end" is some pretty heavy-handed foreshadowing. I thought the audio segue from the sound of Pacino's machinegun fire into the sound of the money counting was very well done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I thought the audio segue from the sound of Pacino's machinegun fire into the sound of the money counting was very well done.
I totally agree.. had to watch that twice.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I did like the episode and was screaming along with Skylar at Marie to Shut Up!!! I think Skylar is going to crack soon.

rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
robojerk

Quote:
I also don't like this tent idea. Much to risky.

Also, that means Aaron Paul's comments about cooking at "a blue collar location, right under our noses" makes no sense, or was a red herring. Or maybe they eventually end up at the car wash later in the season. But using people's houses while being exterminated isn't either "blue collar" or "right under their noses" since it's really a stretch that only Walt dreamed up. I hope they drop this idea soon. I really don't like it.
I'm thinking/hoping the fumigation/tent stuff is temporary. I think Walter wants to return to having a super lab again, but that is going to require a LOT of money. Let's say the partnership was all sunshine and smiles, if they cooked 1 batch a week for a couple of months each of them would have near a million dollars. Then they could have a meeting and each could reinvest some money into building a new lab where they could just do their thing. However Walter is becoming greedy with power so I'm not sure how long this partnership will last. I agree about the nanny cams.

Quote:
Nice that Scarface footage made an appearance. Extra nice touch that Walt was watching it with his family. "Everybody dies in the end" is some pretty heavy-handed foreshadowing.
That scene was awesome.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
This episode did answer the timing question. It's been about 1 year since Walt's cancer diagnosis. That means the opening scene from the first episode this season is about a year away.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think there's a great tie in to Linkin Park's "One Step Closer" with Skylar's rant. That'd make a great mashup video.

I have to say, I'm as big of a fan of BB as almost anyone, but this season has some elements that I'm not fond of. I don't really know how to explain it, other than to say that it seems like they end up coming up with these grandiose solutions to big problems, and bam, they're implemented and bear fruit almost instantly. It's like there's not enough "real world" time or effort put into them. Maybe it's just that things are being rushed on screen.

My two big examples are the magnet truck and the "new lab" arrangement. Those ideas seemed to go from initial thought to implementation, with few hitches, in very little time. The "new lab" was put together and seemingly overnight, and just like that, BAM!, fifty pounds of blue came out without a bit of trouble.

I do like Mike getting more screen time; his character is absolutely awesome. I briefly thought he'd gone a little soft in S05E01, but I think he's found his balls again now.

It's often been mentioned about Hank suspecting Walt (or lack thereof): My personal belief is that he's thought quite a bit about it, but has just dismissed it as not being possible. He's too close to the "old Walt" to be able to see him any other way.

We also got a big clue as to timelines: We recall that S01 opened with it being Walt's 50th, and in this episode, it was mentioned that Walt has a birthday coming up. That must be his 51st, so we know that about a year has elapsed thus far in the whole series. Considering that the S05E01 flash-forward was on his 52nd birthday, a lot of water seems destined to go under the bridge yet.

Finally, Saul. I haven't seen Bob Odenkirk in any other roles, but he just absolutely kills, kills, kills in that role. If it weren't for Aaron Paul being the main supporting actor, I'd heartily endorse him for some awards. So many great one liners, so many little barbs.

Despite my "too fast, too easy" complaints above, I still love this show and think it's certainly one of the top five dramatic shows on TV in the last, oh, 20 years or so, maybe ever. It's absolutely effin' brilliant.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
I do like Mike getting more screen time; his character is absolutely awesome. I briefly thought he'd gone a little soft in S05E01, but I think he's found his balls again now.
I think Mike's time on this earth is very limited.

Quote:
Finally, Saul. I haven't seen Bob Odenkirk in any other roles, but he just absolutely kills, kills, kills in that role. If it weren't for Aaron Paul being the main supporting actor, I'd heartily endorse him for some awards. So many great one liners, so many little barbs.
I agree with this 1,000%. Bob Odenkirk is awesome in that role. There is so much great acting on this show.

Do we think Brock recognized Walt? I'm not sure what Walt's motivation was behind the talk he had with Jesse about telling Andrea about what they do. Was he trying to get Jesse to break up with her?
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
Do we think Brock recognized Walt? I'm not sure what Walt's motivation was behind the talk he had with Jesse about telling Andrea about what they do. Was he trying to get Jesse to break up with her?
I wondered about that too, however Walter seemed so happy for Jesse I wasn't sure if he was being serious or doing another piece of manipulation. If Walter was manipulating Jesse, that was pretty subtle. Jesse explained that Andrea knew he did something illegal, and that she could probably guess as to what it was, but she never asked and he never told. Knowing that, and Walter's comment about how lies build barriers it seemed too genuine.
However knowing all the lies Walter has told Jesse it'll be interesting to see what happens if/when the truth comes out. It's very interesting to see how the truth has effected Skylar.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
wouldworker
_

Quote:
I have to say, I'm as big of a fan of BB as almost anyone, but this season has some elements that I'm not fond of. I don't really know how to explain it, other than to say that it seems like they end up coming up with these grandiose solutions to big problems, and bam, they're implemented and bear fruit almost instantly. It's like there's not enough "real world" time or effort put into them. Maybe it's just that things are being rushed on screen.

My two big examples are the magnet truck and the "new lab" arrangement. Those ideas seemed to go from initial thought to implementation, with few hitches, in very little time. The "new lab" was put together and seemingly overnight, and just like that, BAM!, fifty pounds of blue came out without a bit of trouble.
There were a lot of loose ends at the end of season 4 and they have been tying them all up in the beginning of season 5. They can't spend a lot of time on each one or the whole season would be wasted. I agree with you that things are moving more quickly than they used to but I can't imagine what it would be like if they took their time tying up the loose ends. They needed to get Walt and Jesse cooking again. Otherwise there would be no conflict and nothing for the characters to do.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
There were a lot of loose ends at the end of season 4 and they have been tying them all up in the beginning of season 5. They can't spend a lot of time on each one or the whole season would be wasted. I agree with you that things are moving more quickly than they used to but I can't imagine what it would be like if they took their time tying up the loose ends. They needed to get Walt and Jesse cooking again. Otherwise there would be no conflict and nothing for the characters to do.
This was my thought as well. I also thought they got the instalab up very quick, but then realized that it's probably about the time constraint they have to tell the story with just this season to go.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
danterner
Not it!

I'm perfectly content with the InstaLabs as a plot device, provided:

1. It backfires and causes them further complications

Or

2. They move on to a different arrangement soon, coming to their senses just in time. I want to see Walt complete his transition into Scarface; so far this season, he is transitioning into Wile E. Coyote.

I still love the show, though. Fastest hour on tv.

I'm among those unsure as to whether Walt was being sincere to Jesse or manipulating him. Also insure about who Walt is suggesting is "flying too close to the sun" -- did he mean Mike, or was that a warning to Jesse?

When Walt was looking at his copy of Leaves of Grass, that was a callback to Gale and the whole notebook reference to "WW," right? My memory on that is hazy. Have we seen Walt's copy of the book before?

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 07-30-2012 at 12:26 PM.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
I think Mike's time on this earth is very limited.
I disagree. I think Mike will be the last man standing -- ASSUMING that Walt doesn't kill him first. I think Walt will make enough enemies that he'll end up being the one hunted at the end. Maybe by Mike with help of a reborn cartel.

If you watch some of the videos on AMC, Vince G says that Walt was once again craftily manipulating Jesse to break up with Andrea.

I'm OK with the mini-lab (and the speed with which it was built). But I hope they find a permanent place for their lab set up and ditch the tent-house bit. (like under the car wash where they could vent the fumes with little or no detection.)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
johnmoorejohn

I think it was intended, but did anyone else feel uneasy about Jesse's friends getting in on the action. Not sure why the circle of 'people in the know' has to get so large. But maybe that is a theme this season. Also, who is supposed to clean up the lab? They started the fumigation before they closed up their inner tent.

I also miss the slow pace of earlier seasons, such as how much time and difficulty they spent on getting rid of a single dead body. I guess those days are far behind them.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
I think it was intended, but did anyone else feel uneasy about Jesse's friends getting in on the action. Not sure why the circle of 'people in the know' has to get so large. But maybe that is a theme this season. Also, who is supposed to clean up the lab? They started the fumigation before they closed up their inner tent.
I assume the fumigation works will take care of taking down the indoor tent when they untent the house.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Also, who is supposed to clean up the lab? They started the fumigation before they closed up their inner tent.
I think you saw it wrong -- they turned on the foggers on their way out of the house after the cook was done, and I'm sure they closed up the inner tent before doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I assume the fumigation works will take care of taking down the indoor tent when they untent the house.
Yeah, it seemed like the pest crew had a much larger roll in setting up the house internals that I would have suspected -- like setting up the entire inner tent, the toxic fumes vent, lighting, power, their haz-mat suits at the ready, etc. If it were Walt and Jesse, I would have had the workers roll in the lab rolling crates and just leave them, so there are few clues as to what's actually going on, so there's no temptation to "talk". The less people know, the better. If Dexter can set up and strike his own kill-room each time, Walt and Jesse can set up the house internals.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

I also miss the slow pace of earlier seasons, such as how much time and difficulty they spent on getting rid of a single dead body. I guess those days are far behind them.
I loved having Badger and Skinny Pete in on it. I mean, they didn't seem to know until the delivery of the boxes and that was a great idea for transporting it all.

And Jesse came up with how to fit it all in! I think he is a lot smarter than Mr. White gives him credit for and maybe the meth effects are wearing off.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
robojerk

This is funny

The Oatmeal: Violence vs Hair
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #25
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Who would have thunk Skinny Pete would be a good pianist?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
SeanC
ECT

OMG, yeah, that was totally amazing.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

We're getting to the point where any sympathy we had for Walter is going to be gone, gone, gone. Walt is no longer Tony Soprano. More like JR Ewing.

He terrorizes Skyler, threatens Jesse TWICE - "Where is the relationship going? Do what you think is best." and "I was thinking about what happened to Victor."

The "Do you what you think is best" is the same as what Tony Soprano told Ralph about taking out his nephew(?)

"What happened to Victor" means "Don't side with Mike against me again."

I think the whole fumigated house plan is way too unwieldy and risky. All it takes is one neighbor calling the cops about the smell to blow it sky high.

And is every house going to have enough clear space for the tent? What about the floor or carpeting under it? What happens if the exterminator has no jobs a certain week?

Skyler is going to crack and tip off Hank.

Mike and Jesse have top know that Skyler knows what business Walt is in, even if they don't know how much she knows.

Consider that Hank knows that "Pinkman" is heavily involved, but is supposed to stay away from him. The DEA could still haul him in or tail him.

If the DEA had tailed Mike they would have been led directly to the new shop.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 07-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #28
robojerk

I don't really know who Walter is threatening when it concerns the Victor statement. I think it's mike considering the bit of dialogue from the beginning of the Episode. Not exact.
Mike "I control the business"
Walter "He controls the business, I control him"

What I'm thinking is Mike is now showing that he wont be controlled by Walter, and as such is incurring the wrath of Heisenberg.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
They needed to get Walt and Jesse cooking again. Otherwise there would be no conflict and nothing for the characters to do.
At this point, as far as Hank is concerned, Fring = Heisenberg, so no more Fring = no more Heisenberg.

But as soon as the blue meth starts reappearing on the streets, he's back on the trail, with fewer suspects. The noose will start to close in on Walt.

I also thought the Scarface scenes were awesome. As soon as I saw that machine gun in the trunk in the season premiere, that's what came to mind: "Say hello to my little friend!"

Quote:
I want to see Walt complete his transition into Scarface; so far this season, he is transitioning into Wile E. Coyote.
LOL!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I don't think there is any question that Walt was talking about Mike at the end when he was ruminating on what had happened to Victor. He's clearly not happy with Mike's handling of the cash side, and he's looking to influence Jesse to how ultimately they are going to have do something about Mike.