TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
magnus
Tivo User

TiVoShanan, say it ain't so. Roku is cool though.

For those of you that know and love TiVoShanan or maybe it's RokuShanan now.

Meet Roku, America's #1 set-top streaming box!
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
daveak
Series 3 Novice

I've always thought a collaboration between Roku and TiVo would be rather cool.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
I've always thought a collaboration between Roku and TiVo would be rather cool.
Same here. I'm hoping that they do something with the new stream box that will allow you to watch your recorded shows on a Roku.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
SullyND
W:29-16

Wasn't Roku founded by the guy who started ReplayTV?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

The sad part is that Tivo could've killed Roku (app-wise) if they actually gave a crap about the apps that run on their boxes. Cost-wise, not so much.

So much for the 'one box' to handle everything, Tivo.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Saw that in my FB feed this morning - she does have a nice voice.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

She's been doing work with Roku for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Of course a collaboration between Apple and Roku (Though I doubt it ever would happen) could be fun just for the name - The iRoku. The set-top device that will rock your world.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
Of course a collaboration between Apple and Roku (Though I doubt it ever would happen) could be fun just for the name - The iRoku. The set-top device that will rock your world.
The ATV 3 is a superior device to the Roku so i don't think so.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Not to start an argument, but in what sense? It streams a handful of services versus the Roku's hundreds and outputs basic DD from Netflix rather than DD+. IMO it's severely compromised by the fact that its manufacturer sells and rents media, giving them little motive to maximize competition. Whether or not it can be considered "superior" depends on what you want and need from your little streaming box.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Not to start an argument, but in what sense? It streams a handful of services versus the Roku's hundreds and outputs basic DD from Netflix rather than DD+. IMO it's severely compromised by the fact that its manufacturer sells and rents media, giving them little motive to maximize competition. Whether or not it can be considered "superior" depends on what you want and need from your little streaming box.
From an electronic design standpoint and they don't run hot. iTunes program for windows and Mac's more reliable than DLNA for moving things from the computer to the device. It's possible to have one of these things and never buy or rent a thing from Apple. What competition, the cards are the with content owners not the device builders.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
From an electronic design standpoint and they don't run hot.
My Roku XS is warm to the touch but does not run what I'd call "hot". And why should its operating temperature matter to me? By spec it draws less than 2 watts of power; many plug-in night-lights burn more.
Quote:
What competition, the cards are the with content owners not the device builders.
I'm sorry--I don't understand this statement. What "cards"?

Through iTunes, Apple is a content seller and renter. I don't think that they will ever feature players for things like Amazon Instant Video, an alternate source of recent release rental content. If you're want to rent or purchase a streaming title they're not going to give you any choice but to get it from iTunes. So if renting (or purchasing) video is something that you want do, the ATV is inferior.

If you need something to stream content from PCs on your LAN, the ATV may well be a better choice. There are some things that you can get for Roku which will give you that functionality (Plex is one of them, I think), but they don't build it in. It does have a built-in player for media from USB storage devices.

I just don't see where ATV3 can honestly be called a generally "superior" device, though it may well suit your purposes better.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
magnus
Tivo User

I have a Roku in the garage and it's been out there in the summer heat. There is no problem with it running hot... I don't touch it.

Also, it's better in most respects than ATV for me because it has so many different channels to chose from. I especially like the Amazon channel and wish Tivo would add the steaming capability for it.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have two Roku 2 boxes. They have never been hot and are barely even a little warm.
I've seen the ATV in use and I would certainly not call it superior to the Roku box. The Roku box certainly has more options than the ATV box.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
MichaelK

Quote:
From an electronic design standpoint ...

While deserving of a fanboi alert- does have merit. Tivo (because of their mini), Roku, and the new googletv entrants, are all likely to be sued out of existence next week anyway. Apple probably patented the "design" of a square box that connects to a tv and now that they ilawyers are done with samsung...

(I know the samsung think is a lot more than that but couldn't resist- tongue firmly in cheek)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Schmye Bubbula

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
...I'm hoping that they do something with the new stream box that will allow you to watch your recorded shows on a Roku.
There is a TiVo plug-in for Plex, which in turn has a channel for Roku.
Quote:
The TiVo plugin lets Plex play shows directly off your TiVo. Requires an activated Series 2, Series 3, or Tivo HD.
You provide your Media Access Key, it lists the shows on your tivo, you pick one and watch it.
...but it looks like they're having some problems with it on Roku right now. Stay tuned, the plug-in author says it's on his to-do list.
Schmye Bubbula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmye Bubbula View Post

...but it looks like they're having some problems with it on Roku right now. Stay tuned, the plug-in author says it's on his to-do list.
If it really works, you could turn any google TV device into a Tivo streaming device. Have you tried it? Does it really work on Tivo?
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
Schmye Bubbula

^ I never tried it before now because I got Plex just for my Roku, and as I said, it isn't working on Roku right now. But because you ask, I installed it on my Plex Media Server and tried it from the Plex client on my Mac. The plug-in loads & runs, but it keeps asking for my Media Access Key, no matter how many times I enter it. So I left an inquiry on the Plex forums, and will keep you apprised.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #19
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

First of all, I'm not the author of the original Plugin, I merely inherited it b/c the original author is MIA. Changes were needed to get it to work for Plex9 and I jumped in and fixed it. I really haven't done much else to it since then. My next priority is to get it working on Windows & (in theory) linux. My local copy of the plugin is basically doing that. I just need to clean it up before providing a copy for people to test. Unfortunately real life has caught up to me this year (job issues, new baby, etc.) and it hasn't given me much time to finish it off.

As for streaming to the Roku, the issue appears to be that the streaming from the Tivo (TivoHD in my case) takes far too long to start up, and by the time it has started up, the Roku has timed out. But fortunately I also happen to be one of the authors of the Plex Roku channel, so I'm going to play around a bit and confirm that theory.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
Schmye Bubbula

A big thanks and tip o' the hat to Scyber for bringing us up to speed on the progress of this promising Plex plug-in!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
swinca
Menace to society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmye Bubbula View Post
This looks awesome! Two things I love working together. I will be tracking the progress of this.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #22
magnus
Tivo User

Yep, I love Plex but the plugin for Tivo always asks me for my MAK. So, I have not been able to use it.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Yep, I love Plex but the plugin for Tivo always asks me for my MAK. So, I have not been able to use it.
Yeah, I saw those recent posts in the channel thread. My current local copy of the plugin is so diverged from the production copy that I'm not going to look into that. I hope to have the updated version available for testing sometime in the next two weeks. If that issue still happens with my new version, then I'll address it there.

Next Wednesday is the last big event of the summer in my personal life, so hopefully after that things should calm down. I managed to work on the channel a few hours last weekend, but I crashed my Tivo during the process so I had to abandon that approach
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
From an electronic design standpoint and they don't run hot. iTunes program for windows and Mac's more reliable than DLNA for moving things from the computer to the device. It's possible to have one of these things and never buy or rent a thing from Apple. What competition, the cards are the with content owners not the device builders.
I'm curious. Do you have to reencode video from third parties to get it to play on the ATV? I know I have to with most video I can get online, but I just convert it to mpeg2 and move it to a TiVo with PyTiVo. Going the other way is just as easy using Kmttg to copy the show from the TiVo, strip out the commericials, and reencode it for the device I need to play it back on. Both are one step processes once I have the recording.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #25
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
I'm curious. Do you have to reencode video from third parties to get it to play on the ATV? I know I have to with most video I can get online, but I just convert it to mpeg2 and move it to a TiVo with PyTiVo. Going the other way is just as easy using Kmttg to copy the show from the TiVo, strip out the commericials, and reencode it for the device I need to play it back on. Both are one step processes once I have the recording.
Similar process take your video and convert it mpeg4 copy the file into iTunes and the atv will pull it off your computer. There are a number of programs that can do the conversion. A number of sites now have videos in mpeg4 and so no conversion is needed.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
takeshi

Quote:
Subjective -- just as any use of the word superior/best/better/etc is on any topic. If you're going to use the word in a conversation then at least qualify what you mean. How is it superior? Using what criteria?
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Subjective -- just as any use of the word superior/best/better/etc is on any topic. If you're going to use the word in a conversation then at least qualify what you mean. How is it superior? Using what criteria?
Did you read any more of the thread before posting that response ? I asked the same thing and he responded here.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #28
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
If you're want to rent or purchase a streaming title they're not going to give you any choice but to get it from iTunes. So if renting (or purchasing) video is something that you want do, the ATV is inferior.
Er, that whole Netflix app on my ATV must be a mirage then

News flash - Apple makes money on the hardware, not on the media. Having Amazon, HBO and whoever else they can on their devices is a BENEFIT - not a hindrance. People who suggest Apple is the one blocking are just woefully ignorant about what really motivates Apple.

By your reasoning the Amazon instant video app on the iPad was a colossal mistake...

Quote:
I just don't see where ATV3 can honestly be called a generally "superior" device, though it may well suit your purposes better.
Unfortunately, until the big media players pull their collective heads out of their butts, we aren't going to have a "one size fits all" solution. I have both generations of ATV and a Roku. For the few things like Amazon that the ATV doesn't do, it works - but the UI is ugly and cumbersome. Adding channels was... interesting until I discovered the "secret handshake". It's OK now that I have things configured, but I certainly wouldn't use polished to describe the experience.

Both devices smoke my Tivo for performance and I have no problem using either of them for Netflix even though I vastly prefer Tivo's remote

If you look at the Amazon and HBO apps that have AirPlay disabled, I think we are seeing a repeat of the music industry. When Apple first got their record deals, they were a small bit player that looked like a stiff breeze my cause them to fold up - they saw it as a low risk endevor. Much to their horror, Apple took over the portable MP3 player market and became the proverbial 200lb gorilla. And made them a ton of $$$ too - but they lost "control" so the mere fact they were also in trouble often gets overlooked (ironically). The video content providers seem determined to screw their fans over even more than the music providers - I dunno what it will take to break the log-jam and bring some sanity to all this.

So this isn't a deficiency of Apple, per se. The content providers still haven't come to terms that cable and shiny plastic disks from walmart are on the way out - it will be interesting ("May you live in interesting times" interesting unfortunately ) to see how much longer they can stumble and flail around stupidly. Neither Apple, Amazon, Netflix, HBO or others own the content - it's all about the deals they can wrangle. Want to change things? Support independent, new content like what Amazon and Netflix are doing in producing their own content in house. That's the only thing that's going to accelerate change, unfortunately.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
dugbug

AirPlay is what makes the atv so cool
Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #30
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
Er, that whole Netflix app on my ATV must be a mirage then

News flash - Apple makes money on the hardware, not on the media. Having Amazon, HBO and whoever else they can on their devices is a BENEFIT - not a hindrance. People who suggest Apple is the one blocking are just woefully ignorant about what really motivates Apple.
Really? Because maybe it's my imagination but Apple wants a 30% cut of all in-app purchases and that is the reason Amazon removed the book store from the Kindle app. Other App vendors did the same.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote