Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
gostan

Boston Globe Tive Premiere Review

Tivo Premiere Isn't The Ultimate, But It's In The Running
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...gwK/story.html
Old 07-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
philw1776

Gets trashed in the comments as being to expensive. I do agree with critics saying WTF were they thinking this far into the 21st century by requiring external Wi-Fi adapter clutter?
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Gets trashed in the comments as being to expensive. I do agree with critics saying WTF were they thinking this far into the 21st century by requiring external Wi-Fi adapter clutter?
I dont know any cable boxes with built in wifi. The new Direct TV ones dont either and people have been screaming for years
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
How many desktop computers come with built-in wifi? Personally, I say WTF are people thinking running a fixed device on wifi.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
How many desktop computers come with built-in wifi? Personally, I say WTF are people thinking running a fixed device on wifi.
They're thinking that the router is in a different room in the house than the audio visual equipment with the TiVo. "They" don't want to drill holes in walls to run an ethernet cable. That's SO nineties.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I'm fine with having the options on the Tivo. Too often I've found built-in wireless to be lacking range. With the Tivos I can use ethernet, wireless adapter, or wireless bridge.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
They're thinking that the router is in a different room in the house than the audio visual equipment with the TiVo. "They" don't want to drill holes in walls to run an ethernet cable. That's SO nineties.
You do know that cable can be run along baseboards and door-frames, don't you?

Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
farmermac
Super user

its a little cheap not to include built in wifi antenna which would cost Tivo a few bucks. Its pretty clear Tivo wants to get the extra $90 on the N adapter
Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
its a little cheap not to include built in wifi antenna which would cost Tivo a few bucks. Its pretty clear Tivo wants to get the extra $90 on the N adapter
Yup. The IC and antenna would add single digit $ to the product cost. You qualify for a marketing job!
It's not the overpriced extra item $ for me; it's the extra device, wires and AC plug.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

The worst part of this review is the THREE HOURS it took a COMCAST TECHNICIAN to install the cable card! Tivo/Comcast clearly spent some money on this rollout. There are billboards for it EVERYWHERE. You would think they would have spent a few bucks to train their staff.

Here is the same article with a different title.

Comcast’s TiVo isn’t the ultimate, but it’s close

http://www.boston.com/business/techn...ble_cable_box/
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
I dont know any cable boxes with built in wifi. The new Direct TV ones dont either and people have been screaming for years
But a cable box doesn't NEED WiFi, since they don't have OTT services.

Quote:
Many Macs have built in wifi. (I know, because the Mac Pro I'm typing on DOESN'T, so Airdrop doesn't work with other computers without setting a special default.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
The worst part of this review is the THREE HOURS it took a COMCAST TECHNICIAN to install the cable card! Tivo/Comcast clearly spent some money on this rollout. There are billboards for it EVERYWHERE. You would think they would have spent a few bucks to train their staff.

Here is the same article with a different title.

Comcastís TiVo isnít the ultimate, but itís close

http://www.boston.com/business/techn...ble_cable_box/
That's because Bray didn't do the tedious TiVo setup himself first as TiVo recommends before installing the cable card. The device spends a while downloading and arranging its files all the while with the tech just waiting. Admitedly 3 hours is bit long. In my case, I inserted the card, called Comcast giving them the #s and the tech presumably in India had me going in under 10 minutes.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
farmermac
Super user

Quote:
Yup. The IC and antenna would add single digit $ to the product cost. You qualify for a marketing job!
It's not the overpriced extra item $ for me; it's the extra device, wires and AC plug.
Not sure what you're getting at but we're making the same point. We agree having a clustertuck solution to wifi like tivo has makes them look cheap, esp when a box w/ lifetime costs $900 retail...All $300 notebooks have wifi built in
Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
Not sure what you're getting at but we're making the same point. We agree having a clustertuck solution to wifi like tivo has makes them look cheap, esp when a box w/ lifetime costs $900 retail...All $300 notebooks have wifi built in
Point being you spotted the marketing ploy
Old 07-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
poppagene
User

Quote:
A lot of blu ray players. smart tvs, gaming consoles,tablets, smart phones and content devices like logitech revue and Roku have wifi built in. That's what they were thinking.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Many Macs have built in wifi. (I know, because the Mac Pro I'm typing on DOESN'T, so Airdrop doesn't work with other computers without setting a special default.)
All they did was start including an Airport Extreme card in the build. They didn't have to change the MB. The TiVo equivalent would be to include a wifi adapter.

Has TiVo ever included questions about integrated wifi in any of their surveys? Maybe someone should set-up a TCF survey.

More to the point though - has anyone ever made a TiVo purchase decision based on whether or not it had integrated wifi? Would TiVo recover the design, development, and testing costs?

If they ever do add integrated wifi, I would definitely want it disabled by default.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
mattack

Has anyone made a purchase decision? I'm not sure, it's probably not THAT big of an issue, but at least on *TV* reviews (e.g. CNET video podcasts), I definitely see them complain that the TVs (and I think some STBs) don't have built in WiFi.

I connect my Tivos via WiFi, and though I'm not 100% sure I could do it if they had built in WiFi (since I'm hooking them to a bridge that's a few feet closer to downstairs rather than being directly in the TV cabinet), I would definitely TRY built in WiFi, and it would make things simpler in general.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #18
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Most mid and up Dell desktops have built in wifi now. I would say it's about 50/50 in desktops now. Wireless N is "good enough" for most people.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #19
jcthorne

The Elite does not NEED a wifi connection, it includes MOCA which is a much better option as the coax cable is already pulled by default for the video signals.

Wifi is a less than great band aid solution that Tivo would rather not support.

I wish the Premiere included MOCA, likely the next generation will.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
The Elite does not NEED a wifi connection, it includes MOCA which is a much better option as the coax cable is already pulled by default for the video signals.

Wifi is a less than great band aid solution that Tivo would rather not support.

I wish the Premiere included MOCA, likely the next generation will.
Most people don't have a MoCa network and don't even know what it is. They would still require extra hardware.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
TiVo has an answer for that called MOCA.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
TiVo has an answer for that called MOCA.

Dan
But not inexpensive compared to a wireless adapter
Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #23
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

MoCA adapters are not expensive, see them all the time on fleabay for less than $50. All you need is one of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Nim...item19d3594833
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
real_goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
The worst part of this review is the THREE HOURS it took a COMCAST TECHNICIAN to install the cable card!
One strong reason I have not bought another TiVo is because TiVo forces me to deal with Comcast. Comcast clearly would prefer I never get a CableCard from them, but if I do they find multiple ways to make me pay figuratively and literally.

After the incompetent CSR has managed to add all the "screw you" fees, the TiVo loses almost all monthly cost advantage over Comcast equipment. Yes, the TiVo is much better than Comcast equipment, but I also have to pay up front for TiVo hardware.

I would prefer to map QAM channels to TiVo guide data myself just like Silicon Dust. But TiVo has made it clear they aren't willing to let me do that sort of mapping. Perhaps they are trying to placate cable companies because they think they can make more money by some day becoming the cable company equipment vendor.

Last edited by real_goose : 07-20-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: extraneous verb
real_goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

That is entirely dependent on your Comcast local billing policy for cards. I have 3 of them and pay $4 a month net after credits - 3 HD boxes from Comcast would cost WAY more than that every month.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
But not inexpensive compared to a wireless adapter
Perhaps, but easier to setup and more reliable then wifi.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #27
philw1776

I've also read here about wireless ethernet bridges, not inexpensive but a multiport bridge could serve several devices, not just the TiVo.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
atmuscarella

Quote:
I've also read here about wireless ethernet bridges, not inexpensive but a multiport bridge could serve several devices, not just the TiVo.
If someone can live with vintage 150Mbps wireless N you can find devices on sale for $20. I have purchased ones from multiple vendors (TP-Link, SMC Networks, & D-Link) and they all seem to work well enough for remote locations on my property at least for what I use them for (my TiVos are hard wired).
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
bshrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_goose View Post
One strong reason I have not bought another TiVo is because TiVo forces me to deal with Comcast. Comcast clearly would prefer I never get a CableCard from them, but if I do they find multiple ways to make me pay figuratively and literally.

After the incompetent CSR has managed to add all the "screw you" fees, the TiVo loses almost all monthly cost advantage over Comcast equipment. Yes, the TiVo is much better than Comcast equipment, but I also have to pay up front for TiVo hardware.

I would prefer to map QAM channels to TiVo guide data myself just like Silicon Dust. But TiVo has made it clear they aren't willing to let me do that sort of mapping. Perhaps they are trying to placate cable companies because they think they can make more money by some day becoming the cable company equipment vendor.
I believe that WOW! covers most of Detroit.

The tech that installed my cable cards really knew what he was doing. He used a handheld device that (re)programmed the cards, the bar-codes were scanned using an iPhone which called in the number then the Tech entered the number from the CC screen.

I went with option for 15mps internet speed test rates my connection 18 to 20 compared with the 1.5 to 3mps I was getting with Comcast and My bill is $70 less.

It has been over a year now and Knock on Wood no outages or problems yet and I did replace a TiVo HD painlessly just calling in the numbers to move the card done in less than 5 minutes no truck roll requited.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
real_goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshrock View Post
I believe that WOW! covers most of Detroit.
WOW does indeed cover some of the Detroit suburbs. In the last year the neighboring suburb got WOW so I am now a half block out of WOW territory. One advantage to TiVo is they have guide information for most of the over air Canadian stations. Being south of 8 Mile, I can get 6 strong digital stations from Canada. Comcast only carries 1 Canadian station.

(No matter how many times I report 1 station is now digital, they can't seem to get the guide data fixed. Just another way they find to upset me - sigh.)
real_goose is offline   Reply With Quote