TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
clark_kent
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 98
Recently Deleted Folder

2 questions:

1. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to delete all content in the folder?

2. The programs in the deleted folder, are they included in the disk space usage indicator?

Thank you.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
lujan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
2 questions:

1. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to delete all content in the folder?

2. The programs in the deleted folder, are they included in the disk space usage indicator?

Thank you.
1. Can't be done
2. No, this is not included in the disk space usage indicator.

PS. Say hi to Lois for me, ok?
__________________
lujan
687 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
compnurd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
1. Can't be done
2. No, this is not included in the disk space usage indicator.

PS. Say hi to Lois for me, ok?
you can go in there and delete each program again one by one
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
you can go in there and delete each program again one by one
I wonder why people feel the need to delete shows from the RDF?

I can understand for those who record a lot of porn.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
awsnyde
Registered User
 
awsnyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 134
"I wonder why people feel the need to delete shows from the RDF?"

An@l retentive. And I can say that, because I am @n@l retentive. Worst of all, I'm a procrastinating @n@l retentive, so I would LIKE to have my deleted items folder empty, but I never actually get around to it.

Last edited by awsnyde : 07-22-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Wanted to add quote from previous entry.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
clark_kent
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 98
I didn't know TiVo could record porn...

Here's the story: I like Lois so I helped her set up her new XL4 with Suggestion turned on. Also explained to her how to "improve" the suggested recordings.

Well, with 4 tuners going 24/7 Lois's Suggestions folder was up to a bazillion recordings in no time at all... and Lois was not a happy girl!!

Turned off Suggestions, deleted the Suggestions folder. But, all the suggested recordings turned up in her Deleted folder and Lois was still not a happy gal

Then, Lois wanted to know if the programs in her Deleted folder was waisting her disk space? I told her that she needn't concern her pretty head since anything in her Deleted folder would be automatically removed to make room for any of her important new recordings. She sighed and said: what about the disk usage indicator Since I didn't know the Truthful answer, I came to you guys

Lois is happy to know that the stuff in her deleted folder is not included in her disk usage. But, she's still not happy with me since even I can't delete all the programs in her Deleted folder in one single fell swoop.

PS Lois sends her regards
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,281
FYI, Tivo Suggestions are also excluded from the usage indicator.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 14,024
One of the great things about a TiVo is that it will automatically delete the content for you. And once they are in the deleted folder it really shouldn't matter. And even with suggestions. WHether I have 200 or 20. They will eventually get deleted on their own. It isn't even worth the effort to delete them since the TiVo will do it for me. I will look at them periodically and see if there is something I want to watch or keep but otherwise they sit there with new suggestions being recorded and old ones being deleted.

And after using TiVos for over a decade I only recently started using the suggestions feature. Both my Elites are recording suggestions from their eight tuners many times throughout the day.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
spinhar1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 25
Deleting

I am just one of those people that need to keep my TiVos clean, so I delete all from the deleted files.
spinhar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,429
Aaron - At what point would the Tivos automatically delete the deleted stuff?

Glad somebody asked these questions as I have wondered also. I hate clutter and am compelled to delete them frequently. It just bugs me if they collect up.

Before upgrading to Premieres this year I had Series 2 Tivos and it sure seems like they deleted them fairly frequently, but I have yet to see anything auto-deleted from the folder on my Premieres. Granted, I am in there all the time myself but I have one show from months ago that I have left there and it's still there.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Aaron - At what point would the Tivos automatically delete the deleted stuff?
If you're recording suggestions the Deleted Items folder purges within 24 hours

Add me in to those mystified as to why anyone even cares about the Deleted items folder.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
compnurd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 951
The folder is convenient because i cant tell you how many times i have accidentally hit clear on a program and had to recover it
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
If you're recording suggestions the Deleted Items folder purges within 24 hours

Add me in to those mystified as to why anyone even cares about the Deleted items folder.
Well, FWIW, there was some reports a while back that when a large DIY expanded drive filled up, there might be some problems. Vague and unconfirmed, I know, but they were there.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
If you're recording suggestions the Deleted Items folder purges within 24 hours
Thanks for your response. I don't do 'suggestions' so my folder is only populated with stuff I've either manually recorded or from SPs.

I was glad when they started the 'recently deleted' folder as I have had things I wanted to recover on more than one occasion. But since I got Premieres it seems like it doesn't purge itself or, if it does, it doesn't do so in a manner that is acceptable for me. It's no biggie to keep up on it. I'd rather keep it clean because my head would probably explode if I didn't.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,199
Automatic permanent deletion of a recording should only happen when the TiVo needs the space for a new recording. I don't know if it is strictly oldest first or if it deletes suggestions first.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,429
Thanks, James. That makes sense. You are very helpful and I always try to read your answers to peoples' questions because I often learn something new.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 14,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Automatic permanent deletion of a recording should only happen when the TiVo needs the space for a new recording. I don't know if it is strictly oldest first or if it deletes suggestions first.
Suggestions have the lowest priority so they get deleted first.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Suggestions have the lowest priority so they get deleted first.
So the order of automatic permanent deletion would be:

Suggestions in Recently Deleted
Other stuff in Recently Deleted
Suggestions in NPL (not marked KUID)
Other stuff in NPL (not marked KUID)

?
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #19
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
Lois is happy to know that the stuff in her deleted folder is not included in her disk usage. But, she's still not happy with me since even I can't delete all the programs in her Deleted folder in one single fell swoop.
Convince her that she wants to have shows in the Recently Deleted folder. There may be that one time she wants to rewatch 'that show' from 2 weeks ago and she will be able to do so, as long as Suggestions are turned off.

She need not worry about the Suggestions folder if she chooses to turn Suggestions back on. Suggestions will be deleted as needed to make room for sheduled recordings and auto record wishlists.
Also, when the hard drive is full, I believe the new Suggestions start deleting old Suggestions.

For a new Tivo, I recommend turning off Suggestions at first. Otherwise the Tivo is recording stuff blindly.

Show her how to get to the Tivo Suggestions list and encourage her to go through and rate the shows that are listed.
The more shows she rates, the better Suggestions will be. Maybe enough to make her want to turn recording of Suggestions back on.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 07-23-2012 at 05:16 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #20
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
So the order of automatic permanent deletion would be:

Suggestions in Recently Deleted
Other stuff in Recently Deleted
Suggestions in NPL (not marked KUID)
Other stuff in NPL (not marked KUID)

?
I believe that once a show is in the RDF, they are deleted by oldest date regardless of why they were recorded.

When the Tivo has to resort to deleting Suggestions or shows from the My Shows list, the RDF will be empty at that point.

The order of permanent deletion is:
Recently Deleted, oldest recording first.
Suggestions (if applicable), oldest recording first.
Shows from the My Shows list, oldest recording first.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 07-23-2012 at 05:26 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
If you're recording suggestions the Deleted Items folder purges within 24 hours
There are just too many variables involved to make such a statement as if it were a fact.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
One of the great things about a TiVo is that it will automatically delete the content for you. And once they are in the deleted folder it really shouldn't matter.
Another great thing is that tivo has the option for users to delete things from the RDF as they see fit.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post

Add me in to those mystified as to why anyone even cares about the Deleted items folder.
Add me in to those that are mystified by people that can't (won't) see beyond the limits of their self imposed blinders
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Suggestions have the lowest priority so they get deleted first.
No, that's not true, because Recently Deleted items can be removed TO MAKE MORE SPACE FOR SUGGESTIONS.

Otherwise, there would essentially never be room for more suggestions.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
There are just too many variables involved to make such a statement as if it were a fact.
good lord, I don't care how many variables you throw in, with Suggestions enabled I have never EVER on an S3, a THD, a Premiere, or my Elite seen a deleted item make it over night, you don't have to always be right, occasionally being close is a fine answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Add me in to those that are mystified by people that can't (won't) see beyond the limits of their self imposed blinders
that was just uncalled for, there was no reason to quote me on it.
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 14,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
So the order of automatic permanent deletion would be:

Suggestions in Recently Deleted
Other stuff in Recently Deleted
Suggestions in NPL (not marked KUID)
Other stuff in NPL (not marked KUID)

?
I have no idea about suggestions in the Recently deleted folder. I don't see a reason to delete a suggestion since they aren't even counted for the storage space available.. They all disappear pretty quickly. WIth my boxes constantly recording them, each box quickly went well past 100 suggestions. The list is constantly changing as they get recorded and deleted.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #27
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have no idea about suggestions in the Recently deleted folder. I don't see a reason to delete a suggestion since they aren't even counted for the storage space available.. They all disappear pretty quickly. WIth my boxes constantly recording them, each box quickly went well past 100 suggestions. The list is constantly changing as they get recorded and deleted.
I have suggestions turned off. I have more than enough stuff to watch as it is. But I could see a reason for deleting a suggestion - if it was something you didn't want to watch or did watch and you wanted to make sure it didn't delete an older suggestion unless it absolutely had to.

As to whether the TiVo would make better viewing choices, I'm going to (slightly) misquote and conflate two verses of a song. This is not a commentary and is intended all in fun and to partly show how my warped mind works

Quote:
In the year 4545
You ain't gonna need your thumbs, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to view
Some machine's doin' that for you

__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 9,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
good lord, I don't care how many variables you throw in, with Suggestions enabled I have never EVER on an S3, a THD, a Premiere, or my Elite seen a deleted item make it over night,
Most would recommend against passing off your personal experience as universal fact. What people should be learning here (if they haven't already learned fro one of the hundreds of other threads on the topic) some people, like you, let a tivo manage itself while others micromanage their tivos with a whole lot of people somewhere between the extremes.

Quote:
you don't have to always be right, occasionally being close is a fine answer.
Being wrong, isn't being close.


Quote:
that was just uncalled for, there was no reason to quote me on it.
This pretty much proves my point.
If that was uncalled for, so was your quoted naive statement.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #29
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Most would recommend against passing off your personal experience as universal fact. What people should be learning here (if they haven't already learned fro one of the hundreds of other threads on the topic) some people, like you, let a tivo manage itself while others micromanage their tivos with a whole lot of people somewhere between the extremes.


Being wrong, isn't being close.
Are you saying my comment on the behavior of the deleted items folders on Suggestion recording machines that I have personally watched over many years is wrong? and if so, how is it wrong?
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #30
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
dot (waiting for scandia's reply).



__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |