TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
mjlwells

Angry Channel changing stopped working

I have a Series 2 DVR with FIOS-TV from Verizon. Suddenly, the DVR cannot change channels anymore. I am using the serial port to connect to the Motorola STB and have had no problem for months. Then on Monday evening I noticed that the channel changing is broken. The DVR cannot change channel and the Tivo remote control also cannot change channels. I am seeking a clue as to where to start looking for the problem.

I've checked the serial cable and is well-seated. My main suspect is that Verizon did something overnight that caused a problem but how could this be?

Thanks in advance for any tips...
mjlwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
LifeIsABeach

They could have sent a signal to disable the serial port on your box. Comcast has been known to do that, but I have not heard about Verizon doing it before.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Cable companies do this because they do not like tivo. Reboot the cable box, and if it still isn't working, you may have to go to IR blasters.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
mjlwells

Grumble, grumble, grumble. I'm gonna call Verizon... I'll post the response. Thanks to all.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
mjlwells

Talked to Verizon - very helpful but didn't solve problem. Shared a nice moment discussing the benefits of eating brussel sprouts, though. Called Tivo - very helpful too. Will send a new serial cable tomorrow. Seems they fail occasionally after a year of use. I'll post in a week if the problem is solved...
Old 03-08-2007, 01:46 AM   #6
mmmelpomene

I've had the same problem with both live channel changing *and* recording over the past month or so. I'll have it set up to tape ABC (Jeopardy) in the evening, then FOX (American Idol), then want the recorder to switch over to, say, "Lost" on Wednesdays. It will successfully record ABC for Jeopardy, then go to American Idol on Fox, but flip out and refuse to change to ABC to take care of "Lost". I've taped the local Fox news 2 weeks running, while the TiVo menu continues to insist that it's really "Lost" (no pun intended).

I have a Series 2 Humax, using Cablevision with a Scientific Atlanta box, and I've lost total TiVo functionality twice over the past four weeks, as something (cable box or TiVo) just "snapped off" in the middle of my watching a DVD (once it ended in blue screen and inability to recognize any signals between the TV, TiVo, or the cable box; once I was able to restart TiVo immediately, another time I had to wait for an hour or more). This results in my a.) being unable to change channels live the next day after shutoff; and b.) the aforementioned taping issues.
mmmelpomene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
VIDEOMAKER

I am having a problem with channels not changing also.
I have two identical Tivo series 2 Humax units. One of them stopped changing channels after I had to move the Tivo and cable box to remove a VCR. When I placed everything back again I could not get it to change channels anymore. I do have the IR fixed correctly on the eye of the cabe box and the Tivo, I checked with a flashlight to make sure. I rebooted both the cable box (Verizon Fios QIP 7100 2) and the Tivo and that did not work. I checked the IR code on the Tivo that works (10006C) and set this one to the same code. When that did not work I ran the scan in Recommended setup and it did not find a code that would work. I don't think it is any change to the cable box that Verizon made because all this repositioning only took about 30 minutes and I doubt very much if the box changed in that short a time. I am wondering if maybe the IR cable is no good because I really don't know what else to think or try. Or should I switch over to a serial cable? Any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
ggieseke

Make sure the IR cable is plugged into the right jack on the TiVo. The serial port is only about an inch away and I've made that mistake before.

Then watch the emitters through the viewfinder of a digital camera while changing channels. That will let you see the IR flashes if the cable is OK.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote