TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Acropora

Tivo DVR Expander vs DIY WD AV-GP eSATA

Just got thru reading the FAQ on this topic after maxing out our S3's memory (lots of kids stuff like Cars etc, lol). Awesome, well written post.
Was considering just getting a tivo expander but am now considering a DIY esata with the new 1TB WD drive. Plan to store it in the antec enclosure 2meters away in a closet (quieter). Please share you thoughts on these two different approaches.
Would this be a good time to go with the AV-GP internally as well? My understanding is we'd lose all the recordings it I did an internal upgrade later.
Thanks for sharing your views!
Acropora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
greg_burns
Now in HD

The Antec case is very quiet IMO. Mine is behind the glass in stereo cabinet and cannot be heard.

I would just go with the internal replacement. If you need more space, buy another drive and the Antec case down the road.

BTW, 2 meter eSata cable sounds like trouble.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
logicman1

The expander route is probably the easiest. I just built an expander using the MX-1 and a Seagate 750 GB drive. It took less than 10 minutes to put it together. As greg_burns points out, the 2 meter eSata can be trouble. Several people reported issues when using it.
logicman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Acropora

Went ahead and bought a bare drive that's gonna either be internal or external. Maybe 1TB won't be enough! Thanks for the help.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=336

Last edited by Acropora : 02-12-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Acropora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Ummak

I just got an MX-1 and plugged in a new Hitachi 1TB drive. My S3 sees the drive but says it's unsupported and will not let me continue.

Any ideas?
Ummak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummak View Post
I just got an MX-1 and plugged in a new Hitachi 1TB drive. My S3 sees the drive but says it's unsupported and will not let me continue.

Any ideas?
Had you already upgraded the internal drive in your S3?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
TexasGrillChef

IMHO if SPACE is of major consideration as it is for me.. I simply did the following.

I added a 500gb eSATA (DVR expander) To my TiVo HD, and back when they first enabled eSATA for the S3, I added a 750gb then. (I have Two TiVo's)

I ONLY use the extra eSATA drives to allow more recording time for when I am away traveling.

I actually use several 3TB Raid 5 NAS (Network Attached Storage) units to SAVE/BACKUP all the shows/movies that I wish to keep and watch over & over again. Then use pyTiVO &/or TD+ 2.6 to transfer the shows/movies back & forth between the NAS units & my TiVos. Each 3TB NAS, Holds about 400 hours of HD programming (6.9gb/hr average). The One 3TB NAS that I use exclusively to hold my "Movie Collection" currently has 238 movies, with room for about 30 more. Although they are in SD format.

You can easily buy 1TB NAS systems for under $250, or buy NAS systems without the Hard drives included for under $150 then add your own Hard drives. Some are single drive units, some are dual drive units. The 3TB/4TB systems are always 4 drive systems.

There are TWO caveats to using NAS systems. One... Shows that have "Copy Protection (0x02)" enabled can't be transfered to a NAS. Second, Takes time to transfer the shows back n forth. Although on my systems, it is still all real time. No Delays.

TGC

Last edited by TexasGrillChef : 05-05-2008 at 10:18 AM.
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Resist

Internal drives are the way to go. An external drive also needs an external power source.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
Ummak

I have not upgrade or changed any of the original hardware. Just got the MX-1, put a 1TB Hitachi drive in to, and plugged it into the Tivo. It sees a device stroage device is connected but fails to set it up. Do i need to pre-format the drive?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummak View Post
I have not upgrade or changed any of the original hardware. Just got the MX-1, put a 1TB Hitachi drive in to, and plugged it into the Tivo. It sees a device stroage device is connected but fails to set it up. Do i need to pre-format the drive?
You do not need to pre-format the drive in any sort of way.

The big question is do you have an S3 or a TivoHD? This only works with the S3. TivoHD requires the Western Digital My DVR Expander.

There was a rumor that is didn't work since 9.3 even with an S3, but I do not believe that to be true.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #11
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acropora View Post
Just got thru reading the FAQ on this topic after maxing out our S3's memory (lots of kids stuff like Cars etc, lol). Awesome, well written post.
Was considering just getting a tivo expander but am now considering a DIY esata with the new 1TB WD drive. Plan to store it in the antec enclosure 2meters away in a closet (quieter). Please share you thoughts on these two different approaches.
Would this be a good time to go with the AV-GP internally as well? My understanding is we'd lose all the recordings it I did an internal upgrade later.
Thanks for sharing your views!
Here are two thoughts for ya...

1st.... Cool. the 1tb drive should give you lots of room. Be prepared it will fill up FAST though. I have a 750gb eSata that I plugged into my S3 ages ago. Works like a charm.

IF & WHEN you fill that up, consider the NEXT step in investing in a NAS. (Networked Attached Storage). They range in cost from $100 on up, & range in size from 100gb to 60+ TB. The ADVANTAGE to a NAS... is that you can OFFLOAD (Using MRV) any videos on your TiVo that you wish to keep, & then transfer them back in real time whenever you want to watch them again. Thus FREEING up space on your 1tb eSATA drive.

2nd.... a 2meter (6') eSATA cable CAN run into issues. The shorter the cable the better. While some people have NO issues with long eSATA cables, other people DO have major problems with the longer cables. So hook one up. If it works great. However, IF you start running into issues with your TiVo S3 AFTER you hook up the 2 meter eSATA cable. Then FIRST thing to try would be a shorter cable.

I don't have any "Sound" issues with my eSATA drive. Although my TiVo & eSATA drive are locked in a cabinet. (With good ventilation)

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #12
Ummak

It's a TivoHD (the none THX). The software is 9.3a. I thought that eSATA was just plain eSATA... What's Western Digital My DVR Expander doing different, it's still eSATA?
Old 05-17-2008, 05:02 AM   #13
Dssturbo1

Tivo has coded the firmware for the Tivo HD to only support/recognize and accept the 500gb WD my dvr expander as an external storage solution. even if it does say the same software 9.3a for the S3 and Tivo HD, the Tivo HD has added code in it's firmware that makes it only compatable with that storage solution that Tivo officially supports while Tivo has allowed the S3 to work with most any esata external drives.

suggest you take the 1TB and use it as an internal HDD upgrade for your Tivo HD.

Last edited by Dssturbo1 : 05-17-2008 at 05:12 AM.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
yfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssturbo1 View Post
Tivo has coded the firmware for the Tivo HD to only support/recognize and accept the 500gb WD my dvr expander as an external storage solution. even if it does say the same software 9.3a for the S3 and Tivo HD, the Tivo HD has added code in it's firmware that makes it only compatable with that storage solution that Tivo officially supports while Tivo has allowed the S3 to work with most any esata external drives.

suggest you take the 1TB and use it as an internal HDD upgrade for your Tivo HD.
I have a "newbie" type question regarding this issue.....I have an older HD w/ a lifetime subscription and a 500GB WD expander (tivo approved)....the hard drive died a couple of months ago in the expander.....I opened it up, got the hard drive p/n and ordered one - same exact disk as was in it OEM....replaced it into the box and hooked it up....the system says that this is not a supported device after two tries.....is there anything I can do? Re-formatting or anything to allow the system to recognize the new disk? I thought that by replacing the dead disk with the same part no. that it would work as it is supposed to, but I can only imagine that there is something else done by WD(?).....any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks! :-)
yfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfp View Post
I have a "newbie" type question regarding this issue.....I have an older HD w/ a lifetime subscription and a 500GB WD expander (tivo approved)....the hard drive died a couple of months ago in the expander.....I opened it up, got the hard drive p/n and ordered one - same exact disk as was in it OEM....replaced it into the box and hooked it up....the system says that this is not a supported device after two tries.....is there anything I can do? Re-formatting or anything to allow the system to recognize the new disk? I thought that by replacing the dead disk with the same part no. that it would work as it is supposed to, but I can only imagine that there is something else done by WD(?).....any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks! :-)
Same HD P/N does not equal "same HD BIOS ID string" it's not the case that makes it official, but the drive itself, your replacement was not the same.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfp View Post
Are you sure it was the drive in the expander that died, and are you sure it's completely dead?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote