TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

cable card annoyance (activation screen pop up)

I have an XL with an M-card from Comcast with limited basic in SJ, CA. I get locals (SD+HD), standard cable (TNT, ESPN, COM, TOON, etc) in SD, and Syfy and Bravo in HD, The SD standard cable channels should only be available for a standard cable tier which cost $50 more, so yea for this cable card back door.

My problem is on only channel 54, TOON in SD, every time Tivo tunes to it, the cable card activation screen shows up and blocks the video. The Tivo can still tunes to the channel without any issue, it just seems to take a second or two to complete the tuning, and the activation screen pops up during this 1-2 seconds. This happens even when I'm watching a recorded program, and I need to hit clear to get back to the program. It's very annoying.

My current workaround is just to avoid TOON channel.

Has anyone seen this?
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
johndix

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post
I have an XL with an M-card from Comcast with limited basic in SJ, CA. I get locals (SD+HD), standard cable (TNT, ESPN, COM, TOON, etc) in SD, and Syfy and Bravo in HD, The SD standard cable channels should only be available for a standard cable tier which cost $50 more, so yea for this cable card back door.

My problem is on only channel 54, TOON in SD, every time Tivo tunes to it, the cable card activation screen shows up and blocks the video. The Tivo can still tunes to the channel without any issue, it just seems to take a second or two to complete the tuning, and the activation screen pops up during this 1-2 seconds. This happens even when I'm watching a recorded program, and I need to hit clear to get back to the program. It's very annoying.

Has anyone seen this?
The same has been happening to me over the past 3 or 4 days, on a variety of channels and spamodically. I have an HDXL, (not a Premium) with Comcast San Jose, using a M-Card & a SD TV.

I reckoned it was not Comcast, because all my programs were recordable and viewable so I called TIVO. They said the "pairing" had been lost so we had a 3 way call to Comcast/TIVO. Comcast said they sent another "pairing" message but nothing changed.

Now I just clear the screen and carry on with whatever I am watching.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is and what to do to correct it?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

It's showing up on a few more channels for me now that I had some more time to check. For me it's 100% repeatable, as soon as I tune to a "bad" channel the activation screen shows up. However when I hit clear the Tivo has no problem tuning to that channel, so it's doesn't seem to me that the cable card is losing pairing.

Edit:

This morning, the activation pop-up is gone. However I lost Syfy HD and Bravo HD, Oh well.
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL

Last edited by yunlin12 : 04-22-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

I think this is a result of Comcast here starting to encrypt expanded basic channels. Maybe my cable card is having problem with the encryption, or maybe Comcast hasn't finished tweaking everything yet. The activation pop-up still comes and goes randomly depend on time of the day.
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I have that problem on my TiVoHD- especially on stations that I rarely use. The activation screen will appear when first tuning... even if it is TiVo changing the channel of a tuner in the background while I am watching something else. If I press anything but the TiVo button it is likely to get the UI "stuck" or "hung" and I have to yank the power. It only happens to me about once a week, but it is a bit irritating. Sorry to hear the Premiere has the same problem
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post

Has anyone seen this?
Yes...for me it's a result of not having my M card properly paired. It showed up when I replaced a defective HD XL with a new PXL and just stuffed the cable card in the new unit. I was lucky, it only affects a couple of channels and I'll eventually fix the problem when convenient. I'd ignore it completely, but it affects the USA channel. Get the activation screen and hitting clear brings up the channel. Comcast also, here.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
tabacco

So the very day someone in that avsforums thread mentioend comcast was starting to encrypt expanded basic channels in my area, I started seeing this issue as well, where the pairing screen pops up whenever the dvr tunes to a channel over 35.

It seems like the accepted solution is to ask Comcast to re-pair the cablecard? Or is it reasonable to hope that it'll just go away on its own.
tabacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
It seems like the accepted solution is to ask Comcast to re-pair the cablecard? Or is it reasonable to hope that it'll just go away on its own.
With cable companies it is reasonable to assume that if there is a way to make everything less compatible, more difficult, more lock-in, more expensive, more DRI, more complex, more dependent on their equipment, less reliable... they will do it.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
johndix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
So the very day someone in that avsforums thread mentioend comcast was starting to encrypt expanded basic channels in my area, I started seeing this issue as well, where the pairing screen pops up whenever the dvr tunes to a channel over 35.

That is what I did and, keeping my fingers crossed, it appears to have cleared the issue.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
moolman

Same problem, Comcast Stockton

Happened when I replace the hard drive, which changes the host ID and other things. The Cablecard is not paired.

Had to call Comcast like 4 times before I got a tech that knew that just hitting the card is not enough, they need to change the Host ID and the other settings and re-enter it in their system and then hit it.

Under Val? it shows V 0x00, the "V" showed up instantly when it worked. Look up what I mean by "V" in the cablecard FAQ for comcast
moolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Thanks moolman and others, the pairing is the issue. I called Comcast, they didn't have the Host and Data info from my Tivo in their system. Like moolman said, as soon as they entered the right Host and Data info, the "V" appeared in front of the 0x09 (mine is 09), and things seem to work fine now.
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
tabacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolman View Post
Same problem, Comcast Stockton

Happened when I replace the hard drive, which changes the host ID and other things. The Cablecard is not paired.

Had to call Comcast like 4 times before I got a tech that knew that just hitting the card is not enough, they need to change the Host ID and the other settings and re-enter it in their system and then hit it.

Under Val? it shows V 0x00, the "V" showed up instantly when it worked. Look up what I mean by "V" in the cablecard FAQ for comcast
Aha! Thanks for mentioning the bit about resetting the host id and everything else, I wouldn't have thought to mention that to them otherwise.

This is actually a new unit that I got as a warranty replacement a week ago, so I'm guessing the combo of encryption plus new host info is what caused the popups for me.

Update: Yep! That did the trick.

Last edited by tabacco : 04-28-2010 at 10:52 PM.
tabacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Started seeing this the past couple of days on both a Premiere and an S3HD box. On the S3HD box it seemed to happen when a recording started and then again when the recording completed. We were watching a previously recorded show at the time. The Premiere seems to do it sporadically. At this point I'm inclined to believe that it is something that the cable company is messing around with, especially since I just got an e-mail from them about a system upgrade and possible interruptions in cable internet service.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Somewhere during their internet "upgrade" my cable company managed to set the CCI byte to 0x02 on five of the standard (non-premium) HD cable channels. Those are the channels that are causing the problem with my cablecards. Curiously, one out of three cards still works properly.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Ahh. got them to unpair and then re-pair the cards and now the missing channels are there. Strange that all other digital and HD channels worked prior to that. I also pushed the CCI issue up the service chain. Appears that when they added a few NBC HD channels just for the Olypics that those few other channels (I think all somehow NBC related) ended up with the CCI getting changed. Ironically, the new Olympic channels are all set to CCI = 0x00. Hopefully they will get it corrected so that the basic service channels are 0x00 again. I hate not being able to transfer shows.