TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
philco782

Deauthorizing an Android Youtube app from casting?

Somehow, my neighbor who has an Android phone and shares the same wifi network as I do, can load up his Youtube app and choose my Tivo to cast to. He apparently didn't need to do any kind of authorization, like I had to do with my iOS phone's Youtube app.

Whats the deal with that? Does it really need authorization, and maybe he came over and my roommate let him in to authorize it while I was away at work? Does the Android app not need authorization/pairing? How can I shut it down?
philco782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
tatergator1

The protocols used for Youtube casting make it such that anyone on the same local network can, by default, cast to any other device on the same network. I'm not aware of any way to deauthorize a device, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

What are the specifics of the shared Wi-Fi? Is it provided by the building and is therefore shared amongst many residents, or is this a wireless router in your apartment that you let the neighbor connect to? Could a separate Wi-Fi- network be established for your apartment?
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by philco782 View Post
Somehow, my neighbor who has an Android phone and shares the same wifi network as I do, can load up his Youtube app and choose my Tivo to cast to. He apparently didn't need to do any kind of authorization, like I had to do with my iOS phone's Youtube app.

Whats the deal with that? Does it really need authorization, and maybe he came over and my roommate let him in to authorize it while I was away at work? Does the Android app not need authorization/pairing? How can I shut it down?
If this is a community wireless network every system in your home is at security risk. I would personally get myself a wireless bridge device and connect to the wan side my own wireless router pacing a hardware firewall between my network and the community.

If this is a shared SSID from your home set up a guest zone transfer the credentials they are using and create yourself a new SSID and credentials. Of that, some routers ASUS that I know of has a guest zone switch that allows the guest zone access to the home zone, turn it off!
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote